HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2011, 04:33 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
you shouldn't have accepted the package like that. Seriously, that's unacceptable.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2011, 04:47 PM
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
you shouldn't have accepted the package like that. Seriously, that's unacceptable.
yeah the post office would be paying for that one. hobby king needs to rebox fragile things like planes. they cant just send em out with the thin stock box thats not designed to be shipped knowing how ups and usps tend to beat up the packages. i have received electronics from them in letter evelopes before with no protection from getting squashed
thead is offline Find More Posts by thead
Old May 21, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,430 Posts
I agree, shipping in the "stock" box was pretty cruddy on HKs part. I was actually surprised at the lack of care/packaging provided. I've ordered a number of foamy craft from HK, state side and from overseas and they were packaged well and arrived unharmed. Its like they just drop kicked this one out the door.

As far as the USPs, accidents happen. I did open it at the PO and inspected the parts and only the left aileron was banged up. So that being that, repairs are done and I'm doing all the little tweaks required. If this was a balsa ship all cracked up I would of been raising hell, but hey there's a reason I fly mainly foam.

I'm fine with it and am impressed with the airframe! Giving me something to do on a snowy spring day.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old May 21, 2011, 10:36 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,430 Posts
Ready to go

shipping damage fixed. New landing gear, control linkages, hinges, firewall,and the motor and esc I was running in my old trashed Cermark Katana. 350 watts at 35 amps spinning a 12x6. That should be fun CG at 85mm. Hopefully maiden in the morning.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old May 22, 2011, 03:13 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
GUYS dont hot glue in the aileron servos!!! Just tape them in ok

I was changing my prop to a 11x5.5 and noticed after i powered it up that one of the servos was playing up. I had hot glued them in and it was a b!tch to get them out. Its also not very pretty anymore.

I have ordered 4 x hxt900 servos to replace all the stock servos so i will have to wait once again to get her in the air. I cant wait to fly her again now.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old May 22, 2011, 05:57 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
L3015 data (how do you measure static thrust?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spouny View Post
Today I have received my HK order with 2 motors and many different prop, I have made several measures :

ESC = Turnigy plush 40A, factory settings
Nano-tech 2200 3S 45-90C (full charge and lipo in good condition)

Turnigy L3015A-1000
Kv (rpm/v) = 1000
Weight (gr) = 113 (checked OK)
Max Current (A) = 52
Power (W) = 580

11x5.5 APC E (real APC) = 30A / 330W / 1600gr static thrust
??x? stock prop = 35A / 370W / 1650gr static thrust
11x6 Turnigy Light Electric (wood) = 33A / 340W / 1520gr static thrust
12x6 Turnigy Light Electric (wood) = 38A / 400W / 1690gr static thrust

Turnigy L3010B-1300
Kv (rpm/v) = 1300
Weight (gr) = 88 (checked OK)
Max Current (A) = 40
Power (W) = 420

11x5.5 APC E (real APC) = 42A / 430W / 1740gr static thrust
??x? stock prop = 49A / 500W / 1820gr static thrust, I was not full throttle
when I have stopped the test because of the motor and ESC limits.

What I can say about these measures.... generally it is rather expensive to improve the whole motorization set efficiency if we try to improve towards the motor (hacker, axi, .... motors are expensive compared to these $15 motors), but the prop have an enormous influences. APC prop gave an excellent results for a few $ more, furthermore it is the one which vibrates the less (I have nothing to balance props, they were tested with stock balance).

I will fly my Extra 260 with the Turnigy L3015A-1000 motor and APC E 11x5.5 prop.
It should be possible to use the stock ESC with this motor and this prop as the max load for it is 30A. In this condition, it will add 50gr to the plane, but my aim is reached : 1600gr static thrust full throtlle and 850gr half throttle

Note that it is not possible to mount these 2 motors without light modification, the distance between the fixing holes are different (for motor mount on the frame and for motor on the motor mount).
Got my package on a Sunday ???? tested my L3015A with a 10x3.8 and 10x4.7 slowflyer props, pulled 25A and 245 watts for both. Put on an APC style 10x5 pulled 18A and 140W. Don't know about the static thrust as I don't know how to measure it.

Got a Turnigy L3010C on the way, I'll test that when it arrives. I've got a 70A ESC coming too so I think I'll try Spouny's setup with the L3015 and an 11x5.5 prop or larger see if I can get closer to the specs.
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
Old May 22, 2011, 08:36 AM
United States, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Aug 2002
303 Posts
Got one flight in

Got mine assembled and flying stock. I've got plenty of the 2200 batteries around courtesy of HK 450 Helis.

Didn't take long to put together. Used a few ideas from the forum:
Taped the aileron servos in
Wedged the battery in with foam
Secured the clevis'

Got in about 8 minutes of flight time. Fast little plane. Never got much more than 1/2 throttle.

Landed on a neatly groomed golf course tee box. Short grass. Bent the gear of course.

I'll try the GWS 9050 prop next. When the electronics setup fries I've got other Turnigy ESCs and motors lying around.
wuudogg is online now Find More Posts by wuudogg
Old May 23, 2011, 12:04 AM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuudogg View Post
Got mine assembled and flying stock. I've got plenty of the 2200 batteries around courtesy of HK 450 Helis.

Didn't take long to put together. Used a few ideas from the forum:
Taped the aileron servos in
Wedged the battery in with foam
Secured the clevis'

Got in about 8 minutes of flight time. Fast little plane. Never got much more than 1/2 throttle.

Landed on a neatly groomed golf course tee box. Short grass. Bent the gear of course.

I'll try the GWS 9050 prop next. When the electronics setup fries I've got other Turnigy ESCs and motors lying around.
The stock gear might be the biggest joke of all with this plane. The power system has it's issues but if you prop down it will work. The gear though is completely useless - I bent mine on one of the nicest landings I've ever made - on pavement too. I made a near gear and attached it to the stock plywood mount. Next time I landed (a bit harder this time) the plywood "block" ripped out of the foam. I had figured it was better secured to the large foam block in the fuselage but instead it was just a 3/16" piece of flat ply glued with a small dab of glue to the foam behind it.
Nathing is offline Find More Posts by Nathing
Old May 23, 2011, 04:34 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathing View Post
The stock gear might be the biggest joke of all with this plane. The power system has it's issues but if you prop down it will work. The gear though is completely useless - I bent mine on one of the nicest landings I've ever made - on pavement too. I made a near gear and attached it to the stock plywood mount. Next time I landed (a bit harder this time) the plywood "block" ripped out of the foam. I had figured it was better secured to the large foam block in the fuselage but instead it was just a 3/16" piece of flat ply glued with a small dab of glue to the foam behind it.
I'll see how my wire gear holds up, I put a "W" shape between the uprights and used the aluminium and foam cross member portion of the original gear to lock it in place with the screws supplied. Raining cats and dogs here, should be able to post a result on the weekend all going well.
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
Old May 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
just an update on what i've done with mine so far-
- made some gear up just like Thead did, about 35 grams heavier than stock but i don't think it will make much difference for me as i'm not into 3d, just aerobatics. last time i flew it i had added about 25 grams of extra weight anyway in front of where the gear is, so now i won't need this.
- changed out the control rods and clevis's
- running a 9x6 prop(not slow fly)
- just using a rubber band to hold the battery cover on and another to hold the back of the canopy on since it came off in flight last time. its simple, cheap and i don't stress too much about looks so it works for me
- installed my orange rx now so i can use my dx8, have 3 settings on all controls - 100% rate with 40% expo
- 100% rate with 25% expo
- 60% rate with 20% expo.
i haven't flown her since all the mods(except for prop) so i'll let you all know how it goes. any feedback is much appreciated, especially on the rates/expo settings
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old May 24, 2011, 12:58 AM
The balance is the answer
Walnut Creek CA
Joined Oct 2009
42 Posts
Hi.

I found and order this motor http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220782 . 315W with only 80g weight and the price is really good. I wouldn't resist and bought it. I'll let you know how it works.

Best.
Estoner is offline Find More Posts by Estoner
Old May 24, 2011, 02:37 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoner View Post
Hi.

I found and order this motor http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220782 . 315W with only 80g weight and the price is really good. I wouldn't resist and bought it. I'll let you know how it works.

Best.
It has the right specs
Amazing price!

Landing gear I added works great. Only servos need to be replaced and clevis.
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old May 24, 2011, 03:26 AM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
just got back from flying mine after the mods, and i couldn't wait to get back here and tell you guys! awesome awesome awesome!gone is the pitch divergence, the gear works perfectly on the grass with the spats on (short grass obviously) and the plane has gone from something that i was starting to loath to something i can't wait to fly again! it certainly doesn't have unlimited vertical with this configuration, but its still plenty fast and powerful enough for some decent vertical lines and it lomcevaks like a sob. i only flew it on the 100%rate with 40%expo setting, but this seems fine.landings went from being a hit and miss to pure bliss. in short, i'm pumped
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old May 24, 2011, 07:08 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoner View Post
Hi.

Best.

Post back once you receive it and weigh it. I'll be curious how much it really weighs. That weight and power output (without overheating) seem rather optimistic to me.

How much was shipping?

Good luck!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 24, 2011, 10:15 AM
The balance is the answer
Walnut Creek CA
Joined Oct 2009
42 Posts
Well. I bought a few more things and I picked air parcel international (6-15 days) 12$. it isn't bad.

My father buy a lot in this web and He is very pleasant with them so I decided give them a chance.

Probably the specifications are not very curate but...

I have a Watt meter and a bunch of different props so I'll tell you how it works.

Best
Estoner is offline Find More Posts by Estoner