HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2011, 06:04 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
Everyone after I sent the Email off to HK they have updated the information on there website for this plane. check out the link and see if you can notice what they have added!

EXTRA 260 USA WAREHOUSE
You're kidding...... prop down if you're going to use 3S? I suppose they've got a disclaimer now when the motor fries. I certainly hope that they will review the product for future production batches, it'll be a really nice plane when I get my replacements.
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 06:11 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Attaching wire landing gear

Hi, all my flying is at the local playing feilds, I plan to replace the landing gear with a hand made wire set. I've got some 40mm foam wheels on the way and plan to set the gear up like my HZ Supercub, it lands on fairly long grass with ease. I also want to reduce the weight at the front as I plan to install a Turnigy L3015A http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14733.

I'd appreciate any advice or ideas on mounting the wire LG.

-Darryl
Old May 16, 2011, 06:22 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostermonkey View Post
Hi, all my flying is at the local playing feilds, I plan to replace the landing gear with a hand made wire set. I've got some 40mm foam wheels on the way and plan to set the gear up like my HZ Supercub, it lands on fairly long grass with ease. I also want to reduce the weight at the front as I plan to install a Turnigy L3015A http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14733.

I'd appreciate any advice or ideas on mounting the wire LG.

-Darryl
thats almost double the weight of the stock one, spouny has the same motor. Maybe ask him mate
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old May 16, 2011, 07:36 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spouny View Post
Easy way to mount upgrade motors :
Spot and drill

*** Images removed **********

@ JustPlaneChris : Thanks for the video
@Sammy70 : Nice paint job
@TreeDiver : Very nice looking for your plane with this landing dear
Hey Spouny, Great post, I've got the same motor with a 70A ESC on the way http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12189. I'm going to use your mounting method but I'll use 3ply instead of Carbon fibre.

2 questions:-
- how did the ESC handle the prop? I've planned to play it safe and over compensate with the ESC as I've got very little idea on props amp etc?
- what size hands do you have? I've got no idea how you managed to secure the screws from inside the battery bay
Last edited by Rostermonkey; May 16, 2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: already covered in original post
Old May 16, 2011, 07:43 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
Quote:
Hey Spouny, Great post, I've got the same motor with a 70A ESC on the way http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12189. I'm going to use your mounting method but I'll use 3ply instead of Carbon fibre.

- how did the ESC handle the prop? I've planned to play it safe and over compensate with the ESC as I've got very little idea on props amp etc?
- what size hands do you have? I've got no idea how you managed to secure the screws from inside the battery bay
I can tell you its an APC 11x5.5 prop that he has on it.

That esc is also very heavy mate and overkill. That esc plus that heavy motor may not be a good combo. Its going to be very nose heavy. You might find it might even throw off your CG a little.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Last edited by stalyoni; May 16, 2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:56 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
I can tell you its an APC 11x5.5 prop that he has on it.

That esc is also very heavy mate. That esc plus that heavy motor may not be a good combo. Its going to be very nose heavy. You might find it might even throw off your CG a little.
Yeh, probably, I went spastic and ordered about $150 or motors esc's and parts I've got a number of other motors on the way plus I've got 2 30A ESC's, one from a phoenix glider and the original from the Extra. Got a selection of props as well. Works out cheaper to fill up the postage than to buy 1/4 of this stuff local. I've got some smaller motors coming as well http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14736. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14742 also a couple of little ones. I've basically bought enough stuff to build a couple of planes from scratch and replace damages. It's a hobby after all.

Any idea where I can find a good tutorial on the electrical side of things and calculate Amps from prop size etc?

-Darryl
Old May 16, 2011, 08:50 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
Quote:
Any idea where I can find a good tutorial on the electrical side of things and calculate Amps from prop size etc?

-Darryl
You can't reliably calculate amp draw from prop size. You can get ballpark figures on popular motors from some of the software packages out there (Moto Calc, Drive Calc) but there is no substitute for a watt meter! If you intend to do anything in this hobby other than buy RTF planes and leave them stock, you need a watt meter in your toolbox.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old May 16, 2011, 09:41 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
You can't reliably calculate amp draw from prop size. You can get ballpark figures on popular motors from some of the software packages out there (Moto Calc, Drive Calc) but there is no substitute for a watt meter! If you intend to do anything in this hobby other than buy RTF planes and leave them stock, you need a watt meter in your toolbox.

-Chris
Well said!

Many RTF planes should be called Ready to Fail! the designers build a plane and fly a demo and then talk to the production people and they retool a few parts to save a little money. then the order arrives and they start shipping kits.

It's up to the flyer to check little things and if you have problems please contact HK. I sent a email on friday and within 2 days they had someone checkout the thread that I started and make some changes to the information page. of there kit.

Thanks HK for listening!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old May 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
1) Answer is already page 21 (message #302) : 30A with a real 11x5.5 APC-E and more with cheaper props (for less thrust)
75A ESC = Useless weight, I have a Turnigy Plush 40A and my plane weights 955gr ready to fly.
If you want more thrust I think there is no problem to mount a bigger prop
as a 12x6, but as the others told you, an ampmeter/wattmeter is the only way to know if you overload or not your motor/ESC.

2) My hand size = 11 But no problem to secure the srews as you can do it easily if the wing is not assembled to the plane, you only need a long screwdriver
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
Old May 16, 2011, 11:43 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,371 Posts
The plane will fly fine with the Motor that comes with the kit (but) you should go to a 9047-9050 prop the stock prop is more a 1047 and draws to many amps.

Fixes!

replace the control rods.
put a hatch on the battery door!
attach the cowl with rare earth magnets or tac in place with some hot glue
check check check the CG! before you fly
make sure the landing gear is epoxed real good.
make sure your motor is not rubbing or touching the cowl.
mount the battery with velcro
change the stock prop
cut a small hole under the servos so the servo wires can run into the belly of the plane.

(I do advise you buy a small watt reader to check your planes many of the problems new pilots make they have a tool so you can check before it's a problem)
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tallflyer; May 16, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Finally got around to fixing my issues. Engine was burnt out, so i replaced it with a 28-36 (link below), rolling a 12*6 APC-a-like. it will be interesting to see how this thing goes. i very much doubt it will 3d, but i'm only after acrobatic anyway
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7872

engine has some mixed responses.. hope it doesnt die.. also replaced stock ESC with new TURNIGY TRUST 45A (link below)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12191

i dont think i woudl choose above as optimal solution, but it was the one with least mods.. (engine just plugged straight into firewall and the 45 was sitting in my new parts box waiting for a home, so no soldering required..

i opened up the old esc and you can see where it shorted... looks like 2 or 3 fets blew..

when u take a tour aroud the esc, you can see its a pretty crappy brand, so my recommendation is, get rid of it before it costs you hours in repair work..

cheers
p
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 17, 2011, 05:39 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Bigger may not always be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spouny View Post
1) Answer is already page 21 (message #302) : 30A with a real 11x5.5 APC-E and more with cheaper props (for less thrust)
75A ESC = Useless weight, I have a Turnigy Plush 40A and my plane weights 955gr ready to fly.
If you want more thrust I think there is no problem to mount a bigger prop
as a 12x6, but as the others told you, an ampmeter/wattmeter is the only way to know if you overload or not your motor/ESC.

2) My hand size = 11 But no problem to secure the srews as you can do it easily if the wing is not assembled to the plane, you only need a long screwdriver
Bought an Eflite power meter this afternoon, just waiting for my order to arrive. In hindsight ( & with your advice) I agree that the 70A ESC will likely not be going into my Extra, I'll just have to build something big enough for it to be useful . Looks like I've got a lot to learn. Going to be fun.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:51 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,159 Posts
The AE range of Turnigy is great, because you can set a higher Cutoff voltage.

They are hard to get, but the ones I purchased recently:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11618

This one would do also the job:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11617

The work great and as said...higher Cutoff voltage are possible, which is handy to have.
Of course flying on time is good...but 3.3volt per cell is a nice setting. Then there is always a bit juice left to reach the landing spot
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old May 17, 2011, 03:21 PM
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thead View Post
i finally made a new strong landing gear. went to home depot bought a piece of 1/8 x 3/4 strip of aluminum and bent it up with a little heat. it is way stronger than stock wimpy LG (looks to be 2 or 3 times thicker and also fits perfect and is the same width as the stocker. it only cost me $5. here is a pic.
here is the new thicker landing gear mounted on plane. looks great. i made it so the wheels are wider apart as the stock width was to narrow for me. it weighs about 30 grams more than the wimpy stocker. but i might put some bigger wheels on so i can land in the grass so i will be taking the wheel pants off and they weigh 15grams each so i just got my 30 grams back.
thead is offline Find More Posts by thead
Old May 18, 2011, 12:16 AM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Replaced my smoking little stock motor with a Super Tiger .10 swinging a 11x4.5 prop. Plenty of power with a Turnigy 2200 mAh pack and a 35A speed controller. The stock 30A controller was getting too hot at just half throttle. Attached videos are quick views of the take off power. I like thrust and top end speed is not that big a concern to me.

The scraped up cowl in the photo is from it coming loose and hitting the back of the original prop on the first flight with the old motor. I have it secured now.

Extra 260 Rocket Take-off 1 (0 min 12 sec)

Extra 260 Rocket Takeoff 2 (0 min 20 sec)
Nathing is offline Find More Posts by Nathing