SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2011, 03:09 AM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Oct 2007
30 Posts
Discussion
The PRESTIGE 2011

Hello F3J folks and soaring enthusiasts,
as the F3J season is about to start and Larry Jolly already mentioned about our new team glider ''PRESTIGE'' in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246306

here on the RCGroups I wanted to take over and inform you what has been done at fineworx during the winter.
It is mostly because we are very excited about how the PRESTIGE will perform and how we can perform with it in this season but as well as to share some news with you. It always seems to be very interesting and exciting for everyone to learn about the news in the soaring society .
So here is one of the new gliders for the 2011 soaring season:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...0&d=1303370592

Actually we were flying this wing during the season of 2010 already and testing it on the Pike perfect fuselage. As we were very satisfied with its performance and all the data we collected we tried to put all our efforts into the design and manufacturing of a new fuselage and the tail feathers during this winter.
In retrospective I am very happy that we didn't come up with a complete plane at the first step for we were not overloading ourselves with too much work at a time and thereby could use our energy in a more efficient way. With the experiences we made working with spread tow woven fabrics and all the manufacturing techniques we finally could transform some of these to more complex structures like on a fuselage.
So far I am really happy with the outcome! But anyway, to be honest, if I would have known all the workload getting this process done, I probably wouldn't have done it. However, it is rewarding in the end every time you open up a mould again!

Just in short what we tried to do while designing and building the new fuselage and tails:

Aerodynamically:
- saving parasitic drag due to reducing wetted area
- developing new tailfoils for reducing excessive trim dragrise
Aeromechanically:
- increasing rudder power, spiral stability and jaw damping factors for decreasing pilots workload.
Structurally:
- Reducing weight / Increasing stiffness by using high performance composite materials and practicing on our moulding techniques.

So far we are pretty happy with the outcome, but haven't flown any competitions this year which means the plane is not really ''field-tested'' yet .
The CONTEST-Eurotour season (www.contest-eurotour.com) will start this weekend here in Turkey and maybe we'll be able to make some more clear statements about the plane's performance ... or even need to fix bugs .

As well we are very excited to see more new planes coming out this year as we hear there were other F3J planes designed over the winter such as a new F3J plane from Quabeck / HKM and a new soaring machine from JARO Müller.
This really keeps the wheels spinning in our wonderful hobby / sport.
Best greetings from Turkey, hope to see you on the flying sites:

Philip Kolb
Philip Kolb is offline Find More Posts by Philip Kolb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2011, 03:52 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
989 Posts
Good work...

THATS a nice glider!!!!

Good luck in season 2011...

/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:38 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,431 Posts
Looks really "perfect"
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:19 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Absolutely completely beautiful!

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:41 AM
mmmmm....BEER
Launceston, Tasmania
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
Thanks for sharing Philip. You're right. It is exciting to learn about news in the soaring society, especially new gliders and improvements in design and technology.

Good luck with the Prestige.

Steve
Boagy is offline Find More Posts by Boagy
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:02 AM
Joined Aug 2005
162 Posts
Will the Prestige be available to F3J enthusiasts?
Tom Gressman is offline Find More Posts by Tom Gressman
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jan 2006
269 Posts
Presteige

Congratulations Philip and the whole FINEWORX team. It's great to see the model released in completed form. What a beauty!

SkipMillerModels inquired about representing the Presteige in North America quite some time ago when it first arrived on the Eurotour scene in partially completed form. Obviously we market only the finest models available in the world so the Presteige fits right in.

We can only hope that the model will be commercially released, if nothing else by fineworx.(if so Philip I want to order one !) I am sure all serious retailers in the USA would be proud to have it in their line. I am sure all my friends in Turkey are very proud of the Presteige arrival, from so many points of view. Again congratulations.

It wil be a great soaring season. As Philip mentioned, there are a number of new models coming to this season. We have the Egida (Jaro Muller) offering almost here....and are waiting to see what other manufacturers will bring. At least as of now we know of two! What fun!

Skip
maxer is offline Find More Posts by maxer
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:10 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
airfoil

No doubt a PK airfoil? Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:25 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,369 Posts

Looks nice Philip!!! I know how rewarding it is when you finally get to fly the final molded version. Congrats!!! There's nothing like popping the molds each time... it's like Christmas morning.

Can't wait to see it go!!!

Hope you're doing well

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:36 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,484 Posts
Wowza ! So sexy I want 1. . .
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:47 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kolb View Post
So far we are pretty happy with the outcome, but haven't flown any competitions this year which means the plane is not really ''field-tested'' yet .
The CONTEST-Eurotour season (www.contest-eurotour.com) will start this weekend here in Turkey and maybe we'll be able to make some more clear statements about the plane's performance ... or even need to fix bugs .

As well we are very excited to see more new planes coming out this year as we hear there were other F3J planes designed over the winter such as a new F3J plane from Quabeck / HKM and a new soaring machine from JARO Müller.
This really keeps the wheels spinning in our wonderful hobby / sport.
Best greetings from Turkey, hope to see you on the flying sites:

Philip Kolb
Most honest preproduction marketing I have seen from a designer/manufacturer! Very classy to say the least!

10 airfoils on the wing? wow, I like the tail volume too !
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:08 AM
Toowoomba, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
615 Posts
"Are you watching closely?"

Nice little quote from the movie "The Prestige". You just need the glider to disappear behind a downwind cloud, only to re-appear from behind an upwind cloud 500ft higher, and not use a double :-)

Really good movie as well, one of my Favorites.....
bjr_93tz is offline Find More Posts by bjr_93tz
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Hello Philip,

Have not talked to you since Greece worlds, nice model nice shop, great work, ST fuse looks awesome.

What was some of your thoughts on wing span? Plan form? For J

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:03 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Gorgeous design.

Curious that it's not an all-flying stab.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
236 Posts
Spread tow is so nice looking... wow,, even on the fuse...
Hoangsta is offline Find More Posts by Hoangsta