SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Jun 2010
210 Posts
Discussion
Help!!! EDF jet flew lost signal and flew off into the neighborhood!

What have I done.

I was flying a bananahobby L-39 w/a custom set-up. This was it's second flight. But 30ish seconds into the flight it lost the signal and it zoomed off into the distance at full throttle in level flight over the houses.

Now the radio system I was using is this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10186

And I have flown with it in a mini J-Power F-18 about 32 times (I track how many flights).

But are there any good ideas on finding the plane that I can do without stirring up a big problem in the area?

I'm not concerned about me losing the plane, I'm really concerned about the possible damage from the impact and the drainage of the fresh sky lipo it was using. Too bad I don't have an AMA membership.
RC_Bob is offline Find More Posts by RC_Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Bob View Post
What have I done.

I was flying a bananahobby L-39 w/a custom set-up. This was it's second flight. But 30ish seconds into the flight it lost the signal and it zoomed off into the distance at full throttle in level flight over the houses.

Now the radio system I was using is this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10186

And I have flown with it in a mini J-Power F-18 about 32 times (I track how many flights).

But are there any good ideas on finding the plane that I can do without stirring up a big problem in the area?

I'm not concerned about me losing the plane, I'm really concerned about the possible damage from the impact and the drainage of the fresh sky lipo it was using. Too bad I don't have an AMA membership.
hmmm....I guess it didn't have fail safe. Assuming it went WOT and continued that way...by the time it emptied the Lipo and lvc kicks in, it could potentially be miles away. good time to hit Google maps and estimate speed and time before lvc kicks in and start your search there working backwards. You never know, you might get lucky.

anyways for the problem- Did you do a range check before taking off or better yet,...have you ever done a range check. I'm fairly new to 2.4ghz, but one thing I notice is range is greatly dependent on where you place rx and the little antenna. On some tests my range can be as good as 75 paces down to 5 paces based on antenna placement... too bad it didn't have failsafe...if it did as soon as it lost signal it would of went to failsafe and floated down...
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
Farr West, Utah USA
Joined Dec 2003
541 Posts
Dang that's a bad deal!
Hope you recover the plane.
Jet Dreams is offline Find More Posts by Jet Dreams
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Jun 2010
210 Posts
I did a range test when I got this radio system from a distance of 1000ft. It worked just fine.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have tested it a few more times recently.
The funny thing was that the plane was only like 300 feet away from me when it lost control.
I'm guessing that this thing didn't have a fail safe system. The ESC was a 30 amper from a phase 3 EF-16.

Yeah I'm fairly new to 2.4ghz too. For me I've always been suspicious of the itteh bitteh antennas they use.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:22 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
wow...so many bad review on that Tx.

save just a bit more and a Dx6i would of been a better choice. (not that Dx6i is bulletproof)
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:40 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,934 Posts
Were there trees in the line of flight? If so my bet would be that it hit one of these and either stuck in the tree, or dropped out of it. You might be able to look for it discreetly with that in mind; also, if that's what happened I very much doubt you did significant damage.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:44 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
NEIGHBORHOOD? That, in itself, says a lot! EDF, IMHO, should be flown in a more "controlled" area. Jeeeez, good luck!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
210 Posts
I've had about 120 edf flights at school fields w/no issues like this.
I guess it's worth the effort to do a nice big bike ride to the nearest flying field.

Yeah there were definately trees in the area it went towards. So yeah hopefully mother nature caught it with her branches.

If anyones curious, type this into google maps:
Frank L. Huff Elementary School, Martens Avenue, Mountain View, CA

The heading it flew off at was about 60 degrees (starting from the center of the school).
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:00 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,934 Posts
It happens--I had a close call with a Banana Hobby EDF; I was flying one in a local park, with no previous problems, when it stopped responding to the controls. I regained control just long enough to cut the throttle and hit full down elevator, so that it hit the line of trees surrounding the park.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:02 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
I'd love to see the faces of the spectators that watched it come in....LOL
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:06 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
suck it up and go in search of your plane. Odds are it impacted something harmless.

Two incidents with flyaway planes.

one was a stryker. stripped hs-55 (back before I knew better)
full powered dive into the middle of the street. Missed everyone and everything..except for the pavement.

Second one was a 4s Funjet.
Last time I used an AR6100 and the start of my getting out of spektrum.

LOS brownout. up high and going quite fast.
watched helplessly as it slowed down and entered into a banking left downward turn....waited....waited....waited....BAM!!!!

Went hunting for it for about an hour.
Finally found the carnage. It hit a driveway, 5 feet away from a brand new Escalade. The bang I heard was the motor flying off after impact and slamming into the garage door.

I knocked on the door and told the homeowner what happened.

He was very cool. Was sorry that my plane was destroyed.

No damage to his garage door, and thankfully to the shiny black escalade.

He helped me police up the fragments and load it into my trunk.

called it a day and started the path to Fasst.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:27 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Bob View Post
Too bad I don't have an AMA membership.
What would they do?
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:38 PM
Joined Jun 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
What would they do?
Help pay for any major damages done to other folks (which there hopefully won't be).
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
Why is there foam everywhere?
Joined Mar 2011
228 Posts
Anybody fly fpv with a 2.4 ghz video tx in your area? Both signals will interfere with each other and cause reduced range. Seems highly unlikely though.

I hope you find your plane!
fieldflierlux is offline Find More Posts by fieldflierlux
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
What would they do?
He's referencing the insurance coverage under their Parkflyers Program, I assume. It is a good benefit.