Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:32 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,210 Posts
Gallery
Rape fields at sunset

Hi all

I went out scouting for rape fields this evening to test out my tricopter after its 100ft plummet on Monday ... all seems to work fine again!

Here's a composite shot from this evening ... an aerial shot of the fields, with a ground shot of the sky (the sky was completely bleached on the aerial photo, but the sun is roughly where it was in reality )

Does that look a bit too post-processed? These were the original images ... ahh the magic of Photoshop!

I was interested to see what sort of height I felt comfortable flying at ... going on the altimeter on my video link, I think I got up to around 150ft, and although it looked pretty small, I could still clearly see the shape of the model because of the T-shaped chassis. Not sure I'll ever go up to 400ft as I did with the helicopter though! I would say 200ft is a useable ceiling, provided it's more or less above me so I can see its silouette.

Cheers for now!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Last edited by Hogster; Apr 20, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,368 Posts
Very nice David! For being as dark as it was and hazy they came out pretty good. I think they needed some doctoring!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:54 PM
Shocking!
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined May 2002
300 Posts
Excellent - a little over processed, but awesome pic nonetheless.
Kevlar is offline Find More Posts by Kevlar
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:45 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,210 Posts
Thanks guys!

I don't usually like doing that much post-processing to an image, but as an experiment of what one can do in poor lighting conditions, it was a fun exercise I want my images to express, as closely as possible, what it would look like to be up with the aircraft yourself. That's why I often use HDR techniques to increase the dynamic range of images, so the views appear more like they would to our eyes ... But maybe I went too far this time

Cheers!

David
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:22 AM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,598 Posts
nice HDR work David!
olivdudu is offline Find More Posts by olivdudu
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
Hornchurch, Essex, UK
Joined Jul 2006
320 Posts
great photos as normal David
hartrockets is online now Find More Posts by hartrockets
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:29 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,210 Posts
Thanks guys

I took some more 'traditional' aerial photos today just behind where I work Taken looking away from the subtle evening sunlight, these are single RAW images as opposed to the composite above ...

A ground shot first

(the house in the middle is the house pictured in the first photo)

Cheers!

David