HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:02 AM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Apr 2011
57 Posts
Help!
HELP with Edge 540T E-Performance Series 3D EP ARF 50" Power Setup

Hello! I just bought the Great Planes Edge 540T E-Performance Series 3D EP ARF 50" Combo with the Great Planes ElectriFly RimFire .32 42-50-800, and the ElectriFly Silver Series 45 amp Brushless Electronic Speed Control with built in 5v BEC from Tower Hobbies. Going through the manual online I have a question about the ESC/BEC. From what I understand I need to hook up an external BEC IF I run a 4S pack, or need to use a Rx pack. Here's the link to the combo deal... I'm SO confused!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1551

In the manual it states...
For all out 3D type flying we recommend the Great Planes
Power Series LiPo 2100mAh 14.8V or FlightPower 2170mAh
14.8V battery with an APC 12" x 6E propeller. A voltage
regulator will also be required to power the receiver.

I still haven't bought a LiPo battery, or charger. Any suggestions? This is my first electric ARF build. I have the UMX Beast & Radian, and been flying glow for 20 years, so I've never put together all the stuff for an electric plane.

I also bought the Futaba S3115 Micro High Torque Servo. Anyone used these? How do you like them?

If you have this plane can you tell me how you set it up?

Thanks!
RickShane is offline Find More Posts by RickShane
Last edited by RickShane; Apr 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined May 2009
217 Posts
I've got the same power system in a Great Planes embry riddle 50".
And was told the same thing regarding regulators. Thankfully, the guy at the HS told me it wasn't necessary. He was right even though I doubed him. I've been running 4 micro HS81 servos with no problems for almost 3 years.
Didn't need to disable becs, voltage regulators, or any other of the complicated stuff. Just plugged the esc into the throttle channel, plugged in the battery and no problems. Not sure if the Futabas are much different than JR micros, but I doubt it.
You would only need to worry about voltage regulators, disabling bec etc...
if you were using standard size digital servos.
Also, I've been using 3S and 4S 5000's. Keep in mind I'm not flying 3D but I do run WOT(wide open throttle) for about 6 min of the 12 I fly. FYI: I've flown using 11x8 to 12x8 props over these years. No problems.
You should be ready to go with any 3 or 4S lipo and the motor and esc you've listed!
Re: charger, I've had the GT Power A6 since day 1(almost 3 yrs) and have been satisfied with it. However, now that I'm getting more and more lipos, I would prefer one that charges at more than 5C. Just for quicker charge times. But it still does the job.
seair is offline Find More Posts by seair
Last edited by seair; Apr 20, 2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: forgot to mention charger
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:26 PM
Joined Apr 2011
57 Posts
Thanks!!

[QUOTE=seair;18023464]You would only need to worry about voltage regulators, disabling bec etc...
if you were using standard size digital servos. QUOTE]

Seair - Hey THANKS FOR THE REPLY. That's what I really needed to hear, form someone that has this setup. The review write-ups were done in 2009. Who knows how much things have changed since back then.. However, I didn't quite understand what you were saying about the quote above.

I think I'm going to send back the Futaba S3115's. (They are not rated for 6V and kinda expensive) But I didn't notice that until my order was shiped. The 3115's were used in all the reviews, so that's why I got them. I am going to put a AR6100 RX in it with my DX8 TX. And I ordered all JR extentions. How did the hitech servos fit in the plane?

So let me get this straight. All I need to do is plug the ESC into the motor and RX, then the plug in the battery, and it all works with no problems huh? No need for the external BEC? And then I can run either 3S or 4S? Now what about if I want to do 3D? Do I need to make any changes? Like I said this is my first ARF electric build, and it's all new to me.

It's a bit hard right now for me to picture how everything goes together because I don't have the plane, motor & ESC yet. Should be here tomorrow.

I sometimes tend to over think things, then get stressed out. Bottom line is I will be ok with that power setup? Just think of all you were thinking about when you bought yours, and that's me. So the more info you can give me the better I will feel. Thank you soooo much for your reply!!

Rick
Last edited by RickShane; Apr 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined May 2009
217 Posts
Re: "The quote above", basically means if you were using 'standard size servos, you would need a seperate battery to power your receiver while the lipo would power your motor. Since your using micro servos, you don't need to use a seperate battery pack. The lipo powers your receiver and motor.
(this is the most convenient and weight saving way).
I had to slightly trim the servo openings by a fraction on my plane to get the servos to fit. I used a hobby knife.
Both in length and width. Wasn't very time consuming.

"They are not rated for 6V". I installed my esc with all factory settings. Which means I didn't have to modify anything. Not sure where you read about 6V, but the esc converts the power(drops down) from the lipo so your receiver doesn't fry. So this wouldn't be an issue.

"So let me get this straight. All I need to do is plug the ESC into the motor and RX, then the plug in the battery, and it all works with no problems huh? No need for the external BEC? And then I can run either 3S or 4S?"
Yes. ESC plugs into throttle channel.
Remember to always turn the transmitter on first! Then plug the lipo to the esc. And always remember to unplug the lipo from the esc BEFORE turning off the transmitter. If not your plane might(probably) go full throttle. Mine did the 1st and only time I made this mistake.

"Now what about if I want to do 3D?" I'm not sure. But for sport flying, it definitely will work. My only suggestion would be to fly 3D for a minute or two, bring it in and feel the temp of your esc and motor. If it's only warm, add a little more time. But keep checking as you go along. I'm not a 3D guy, so I really can't be sure.

Understand how you feel. Thankfully, the HS salesman hooked me up nicely.
I only started getting confused when reading esc instructions, motor instructions, and online.
I remember asking someone at the flying field an electric question. His reply was to read and ask online. My reply was, "yea, and I get a different answer for just about every question I ask". lol
seair is offline Find More Posts by seair
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:57 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,761 Posts
The internal Bec provides 5 volts and 2 amps on your ESC. The Hs81 is rated to run on any power source from 4.8 to 6v.
The 3115 Futaba's are actually a good little servo, very smooth, with good centering, and while not quite a poweful as the 81, are likely more than adequate for your plane!
Please buy yourself a WATTMETER, and test your system with smaller recommended props first!! Amp draw can climb extremely fast going from one size to another. Going from 3 to 4S can, in some cases, double the amp draw with the same prop, so always prop down when going up in voltage.
Enjoy your trip into the world of electric! Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Apr 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
The internal Bec provides 5 volts and 2 amps on your ESC. The Hs81 is rated to run on any power source from 4.8 to 6v.
The 3115 Futaba's are actually a good little servo, very smooth, with good centering, and while not quite a poweful as the 81, are likely more than adequate for your plane!
Please buy yourself a WATTMETER, and test your system with smaller recommended props first!! Amp draw can climb extremely fast going from one size to another. Going from 3 to 4S can, in some cases, double the amp draw with the same prop, so always prop down when going up in voltage.
Enjoy your trip into the world of electric! Doug B
Doug, do you think I should exchange the Futaba 3115's for the HS-81's? It looks like the Futaba's are a better servo all the way around with the high torque and Micro Precision. Only thing I don't like you can only run 4.8v with them. But that's not a big deal I guess. I have a new 4.8v RX pack I can use if I need to. But that's just another battery to charge. I guess when I start the build I will play it by ear. I always over think when I start something new to me, and spend too much time online trying to figure it out. I have got to learn not to take these forums so personal. Like any guy we want to figure things out NOW & not later. LOL! Have a good day Doug. Oh and I'll be running the 13X8 prop with this setup.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
57 Posts
I got all my stuff today, and what a very light & beautiful plane. Everything was very well packed and no damage that I can see. There are a few wrinkles in the MonoKote, but nothing my heat gun & Iron can't handle. I've done my fair share of putting MonoKote on planes.

I am going to get the external CC BEC for the extra insurance & peace of mind. And start out with a eflight 3S 3200 or 3600 mAh LiPo battery to get me in the air on the sport setup.

I am still shopping around for a good LiPo charger. This one from Nitroplanes looks really nice, anyone have it?..

http://www.nitroplanes.com/thac6smbalic.html

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:22 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,761 Posts
Honestly,I'd keep the Futaba 3115's and ditch the 45 ampESC for a 60 amp Plush from HobbyKing. The motor is rated for 50 amp continuous/ 80 amp burst, the 45 won't last 5 minutes with these loads! The 60 amp Turnigy Plush also has a 3A Bec, is rated for 6S, so you won't need the CC Bec either!
As for the battery charger you show, its a 50 watts charger, rated to charge at 5A max. That means on 6S, it will charge at about 2.2A. Ability goes down as voltage goes up.
I've been thru this, waiting 3 hrs+ to charge one battery just sucks!! I'd spend 12 hrs recharging after a days flying (remember, you should never leave the charger unattended).
I would suggest an I Charger and its matching power source. A bigger investment, but far more satisfaction. I can actually charge 6 batteries at once with my 206B.
Check out Progressive RC, they carry it all, including the parallel power cables and balance adapters. Excellent people to deal with, fast service!
FWIW Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley