SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:06 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,150 Posts
How? Big Barndoor ailerons, a sharp pointed leading edge, underpowered, heavy, etc....
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:56 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
easytiger
I must agree with your opinion of R/C Report. I was a subscriber for many years. Every year there was a reader survey as to what the "readers" wanted in the magazine. Every year there was more giant scale coverage and less of everything else.

My reason for quiting the magazine was simple. When I answered the survey I asked for more electric coverage. I felt that if only 5% of the readers asked for E coverage then there should be 5% of the magazine dedicated to electric. This never happened and I got tired of subsidizing Giant scale. So I dropped it.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:04 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I dont think that paper media publish bad reviews because you dont want to tick off potential advertisers.

I do know that Ezone reviews are not done until the product is on the market and usually established.

Everyone can find quirks in all models, I know there are a few issues with some of the planes I have built, but almost all of them have been resolved by "more Power...Urgh urgh urgh~"

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:23 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
I do recall a bad review being published some years ago. I can't remember what magazine did it but I heard that the company pulled all it's advertising out of that magazine.

That monthly catalog that goes by the name of RCM depends on advertising for its existance. The same holds true for all others as well. Rather than publish bad reviews they either embellish them or just don't print them.

I'm not implying that they lie about the product. Rather they gloss over the faults. They admit they are there but they are of no consequence.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Aug 17, 2003, 02:00 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
You have to be able to read between the lines. The review is in code and this article tells how to decode a review.

http://humane.sourceforge.net/main/h...ne_review.html
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Aug 17, 2003, 08:17 AM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
I subscribed to R/C Report for several years, but also dropped it for exactly the same reason as BillM.

I do remember some negative reviews in RCM, but that was when I was just getting started in the hobby...circa 1968.

Bill B.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:08 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillM
I do recall a bad review being published some years ago. I can't remember what magazine did it but I heard that the company pulled all it's advertising out of that magazine.

That monthly catalog that goes by the name of RCM depends on advertising for its existance. The same holds true for all others as well. Rather than publish bad reviews they either embellish them or just don't print them.

I'm not implying that they lie about the product. Rather they gloss over the faults. They admit they are there but they are of no consequence.

BM
There is nothing in there for me in RCR, it's all giant scale, or how to convert a Kadet into a scale-like Cessna...and to me, it's the propoganda arm of a certain group of modellers. But if only 5% of their readership wants electrics, I can't blame them for dropping electrics.
I would be VERY reluctant to paint ALL magazines with the same brush. Some are very, very good. RCJI, for example, pulls not punches in their very in-depth jet reviews, which sometimes take two or three issues. You REALLY know what's inside the kit and what you are getting into after you read them. Good stuff.

RCM...well...many years ago they did a "review" of an all-cardboard/plastic slope soarer, one of the first. All the way back in the seventies. They could not get it together properly, did not finish the plane, and gave it a bad review. I remember the company, Jeff's Friends, they were called. Jeff's even took out ads in OTHER magazines, challenging RCM to come out and fly their plane. Don't know if they ever took them up, but there was NOTHING wrong with the plane, just with the reviewer, who did not read the instructions. RCM doomed this company with their irresponsible review. And, thirty years later, coroplast planes are all the rage.
My point being, not all reviewers are responsible. RCR is famous for dumb reviews, like "the instructions call for two stroke 15 and three channels, we put in a Saito 56 and ailerons...this thing does not fly right!".
My compliments to Mark Rittinger...your construction articles are some of the very best stuff to come out of MAN in the last few years. And they DID do a great job with the photos and layout, too.
Was this super cub a built up one, that was distributed by Hobby Lobby?
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Aug 17, 2003, 09:50 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,150 Posts
No, not the Hobby Lobby one, but it WAS built up lazer cut kit.. Re-read where the company is
Thanks for the Kudos on my articles. I try to make them interesting and easy to follow.
If you like seeing my stuff, I suggest an email to the magazine letting them know how you like my designs. It would no doubt help me , and the magazine......
Old Aug 18, 2003, 05:53 AM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
And I was thinking of a throttled pulsejet (that didn't) and a radio made in New Jersey....

Bill B.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:19 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
On the other hand, look for coded fragments like "I will be flying this plane a LOT" or "My buddies have already ordered two each" which are essentially gratuitous praise that means the reviewer really DID like the model.

Another dead giveaway is teh odd hint... like 'We will be reviewing the XYZ firecracker motor next month"...and it never appears or I preferred to use the prop/motor/ESC that I am used to (the supplied one didn't work)...or indeed juts a bald graph showing how the firecraclker XYZ drew 50% more current and delivered 50% less torque in a setup than a reference standad, with no comment in the text.

My favorite is always slimer reviews "The test engine had a couple of gallons of BrassoPower run through it, and in that time power and idling improved considerably".

Trans;lated, it ran like a dog, and so we just kept running it in the hope it would get better, and it did, a bit, but not enough to make it any sort of engine I would want to bolt on the front of an airplane.

I used to read a rather well respected newspaper years ago. You could always see when 'Middle eastern leader killed in ambush' was bang next door to 'a successful bid for the XYZ oil company was made in spite of local government opposition'.

Nothing was ever said that could be embarassing or legally proveable, but the coincidental juxtaposition of 'unrelated' articles was rife.

vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:12 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Quote:
You have to be able to read between the lines. The review is in code and this article tells how to decode a review.

http://humane.sourceforge.net/main/...ane_review.html

I have actually read the odd negative review, but only generally of planes from mfgs. who have limited market power and who probably won't read the review anyway.

For example, I read a review of the Kyosho DF Sabre . On its first flight it was destroyed because the instructions gave an incorrect CG. They then tested a friend's model for the review and it flew OK except that it was under powered, prone to stalling and not very tough.

In spite of all this the conclusion in this type of review always says something like "the model fills an important gap in the market" or "will appeal to those who like to show up at the field with something different" - IE CRAP.

OTH, I read a review of a Czech parkflyer from a little known mfg and the reviewer had no qualms about mentioning the fact that you had to be a TOC pilot not to stall it and a different piece fell off on every landing (exxageration I know, but it proves the point).

One other thing is that I often wonder why certain people review certain models. For example, (now I really don't want to offend anyone here) why was Dereck given the E3D to review in QEFI? Over the time I've enjoyed reading his column and his Ezone posts it has been quite clear that he advocates traditional flying and leaves hovering to helicopters.

The E3D is designed expressly for this purpose and while it may function as a normal sport plane, it isn't really suited to it.

Another example was a dyed-in-the-wool gas flyer in RCME being given a small parkflyer to review. He clearly knew very little about e-flight and couldn't really do the model justice - he wasn't even using a peak charger which probably meant he lost 10% or more of the planes flying ability anyway.

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:26 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
STILL confused about the Super Cub! Hobby Hangar? Herr?

The Kyosho Sabre is a PRIME example of how a poor review can TOTALLY mislead the reader.
I had the FIRST Sabre in the USA. Really! I had a LOT of fun with it, but the only reason it survived the first flight was Dave Patrick was at the sticks and recognized the dramatically tailheavy position indicated in the plans.
I cannot tell you how many Sabres did not survive the first turn...tailheavy and underpowered is a BAAAAAAAAAAADD combination.
The MAN review was pretty deceptive. They bungee launched it. They did not mention the aft CG, as far as I remember. I bet a LOT of people expected MUCH better performance based upon that review.
The plane does fly, and it can be a lot of fun(I built two or three, still have one, highly modified, with a Tokifan in it), but I think any review should have had STRONG caveats that this was a nominally powered plane at best, and if you were expecting jet like performance, you should look elsewhere. And that it is VERY tricky to fly for those first thirty seconds until you have some speed and altitude. LOTS of very dissapointed buyers out there.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:28 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
MCBA, I would not call this model "crap", either. It DID fill a very neat gap in the market. Far as I was concerned, to be flying a 15 sized gas DF model, an ARF, with a pull starter, was neat as heck. It was the first of it's kind. Once the novelty wore off, though...
And if that is NOT novel to you, and you just want to fly at jet type speeds, then yeah, you are going to be very dissapointed.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 01:19 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Okay, maybe I was readin between the lines a little too much, but I certainly got the impression that the reviewers were really clutching at straws to make the plane sound better.

Interestingly, the Kyosho F16 had very similar reviews though as I recall, they came across as a little more honest.

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Aug 18, 2003, 03:08 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,150 Posts
Easytiger.......not Herr