RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:59 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
Had a great day flying in ShenZhen today!
As we got off the bus in Yuen Long to transfer to another bus to go to the border, it started to pour, and we got quite wet. Didn't really know what to expect when we continued on after hiding underneath canopies for 20 or so minutes. BUT, I'm sure glad we continued on, as the weather was nice, sunny, hot, and unusually DRY at the flying field!

There were 3 pilots - Me, Robust, and Waymon, plus my cousin's hubby who came to watch, and another DLG enthusiast from Dong Guan who drove all the way to ShenZhen to watch as well!

The weather was ridiculously windy and gusty though, and with gusts up to 60km/hr (measured on Robust's wind meter )... so it was quite tricky for me to maiden a new plane, and for Waymon to take his first ever DLG flight - he has been building DLGs for a while now, but has never flown them.

Near the end of the session, we moved underneath a tree to eat some mooncake (it's mid-autumn festival tomorrow!) and take a break, but I placed my plane on the ground improperly, and one of the gusts threw it onto a pole while I was cutting the mooncake and snapped the boom. Oh well, will repair it at home =)

Lots of broken planes today, but there was even more fun... looking forward to coming back here to fly on the 25th =)
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,415 Posts
Thomas:

I've seen worse-broke booms than that.

Looks like a good time was had by all, no matter.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:30 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
You bet, it's all repaired now and I hope to fly it again this weekend
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:52 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
Another great day on Sunday in ShenZhen, we flew at a much much bigger field compared to last time's, and without any obstructions upwind, so the wind was 'clean'. Next week we will move to an adjacent field with a nice slope/cliff so that we can fly some slope while it gets too windy too. However, the ground is very bad for the planes..lots of bricks..rocks...and misc construction debris. Oh well! Just try not to hit or trip over them

Waymon's fiance joined us and flew a kite for most of the time. She also threw some DLGs for a bit...very...dangerous

Looking forward to flying again next weekend!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:00 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
Also had my first 7AM flying session this morning... I made a goal to fly 5 mornings a week for half an hour or so to improve my launches and turnarounds...we'll see how well I keep to that!

The only field that was even close to usable is a rock/gravel patch with some concrete halfway up the mountain by my house. It's usable, but the area around it is un-penetrable, and there are now quite a few trees around it, so I will likely not fly there again unless I have too many planes and can afford to lose one/some

So I went on google maps again..and found ANOTHER site near my home that might work. I have a feeling it might actually be an RC club though, because right beside it is an RC car raceway. I'll be flying there tomorrow morning before work and see if it will work or not. If anything, at least there's some soft grass on the ground!

My cousin's husband has been filming at a field about 30 minutes from my house for the past little bit, and he says the grass is quite short there now and has a lot of open space. Might give that field a shot, but the last time I saw that field, Donnie Yen was kicking Collin Chou's butt here
Flash Point - Donnie Yen VS Collin Chou (End Fight) - High Quality Available (8 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:19 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
Unfortunately the site i visited (pictured above as 'field i will try tomorrow') this morning is not very suitable. Similar to the gravel field...the surrounding brush has grown very tall and thick... leaving the landing area to be very small, and if you land out, it would be very hard to retrieve.
It's also hidden in a valley with not a person in sight...and some tombs around the field... really quite creepy to be there alone! So I went back to the gravel field to fly for now.

Will try out the field that they shoot movies at near my home on Sunday before I head across the border to fly in ShenZhen

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:52 PM
Beginner
Shenzhen , China
Joined Feb 2008
98 Posts
wow, Thomas, it seem that you have to continue to carry you big box and come to Shenzhen every week, hehehehehe~~~~~
robust is offline Find More Posts by robust
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:24 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,136 Posts
Glad to see you out there flying again, T.

Jun
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:57 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
Jun, once I threw the plane again I just couldn't stop!
--

Have been doing my morning practices at the rock field near my house, convenient, but the gravel is very slippery and harsh on the planes when I don't manage to catch it. So, I drove by the field I mentioned earlier in Nam Sang Wai where they do a lot of filming, and man! that is a nice field! Short grass, no rocks, and surrounded by nature. Best of all, it's only 20 minutes away from my house
I will practice there tomorrow morning before work and see how it is. But, I heard it gets quite crowded with electric and heli pilots during the weekend... I'll see if that's true this weekend

Also, had a good session yesterday in ShenZhen again. We were going to fly in DongGuan and meet up with another new pilot, but because of the frequent showers, we decided to just fly in ShenZhen and meet up another day. We braved some scattered showers, but the air was very calm. We fly at a new site just across from where we flew last time... there is a big slope facing the ocean winds, so if it gets too windy for us to fly DLGs we can fly slope
--

Robust and Waymon in ShenZhen have been building home-built DLGs for the past 2 years, and I can see that their hard work is beginning to pay off. The quality of the parts is increasing even compared to the first time I saw their planes a few weeks ago. They had on some new tails yesterday, very nice parts. Still needs some minor adjustments and a bit more attention to weight, but very very presentable. Hope I can grab a pair from them next time and try it on a new TopSky 2 super I am building to fly at the gravel field near my house.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ThomasLee; Sep 26, 2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:00 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
The scene here has recently shifted for the better. We have formed a group of about 17 DLG pilots including myself, all within a 1.5hr radius of each other.
We have had 1 larger meet with 11 or 12 guys last month in ShenZhen, and will have another meet this Sunday in Guangzhou. The plan is to have a larger gathering like this every last Sunday of the month, and perhaps switching cities each time to help promote the sport.

In between the larger gatherings, we have been able to get 4~5 guys out to fly on the weekends in Shenzhen. The level is quite good locally, and I think it's a great way for everyone to improve and have fun.

Hope the group will be able to attract more and more new DLG pilots as we start getting more exposure at the fields and on the Chinese forums

Hopefully we will have a couple guys representing South China and Hong Kong this August in the annual Beijing contest, a couple guys are already showing interested, and the ones who went last year are planning on going again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:20 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
a couple guys representing South China and Hong Kong this August in the annual Beijing contest...
August in BeiJing... Hmm Hmm...
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:53 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
Any chance you'll be there Kai?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:51 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
Found another field on google maps on the other side of Hong Kong... and finally sparked some interest in HK with the guys who stopped flying DLGs a couple years ago. Maybe we will finally be able to build up some interest here and boost the total amount of pilots within the 2 hr driving distance to about 30-35
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 04:57 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
We are planning on hosting a contest in Hong Kong in June (tentatively June 17th).
Is there any interest from anyone who might be in HK at the time, or people from the surrounding area?
RCG Plus Member