HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:23 PM
Joined Apr 2004
60 Posts
Discussion
best place to buy riva aquarama or dumas chris craft

hi all, where's the best place to get a riva aquarama or dumas chris craft (or other wooden speedboat like that). i'm nervous about the vietnam ones, but also don't want tt spend 600 bucks on some of the others ive seen on the 'bay.
bigdogrod is offline Find More Posts by bigdogrod
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:29 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
First try the LHS.
Second - one of the established mail order companies like Tower Hobbies, MACK Products, etc.
Third evil-bay.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:36 AM
Joined Nov 2005
198 Posts
The Amati kit produces excellent results and has AWESOME fittings. Dashboard detail is so good you expect the guages to work. I would not recommend the Amati running gear, though. It is way underpowered, and as soon as I win the lottery I plan to change out the power plant. Model Expo and other mail order vendors carry the Amati line.
Cold Duck is offline Find More Posts by Cold Duck
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:56 AM
Fort Wayne IN
Joined Aug 2007
242 Posts
At the price level you are quoting, it sounds as if you are looking for ready built. A well made Dumas with a properly fiberglassed hull is your best bet for longevity and durability. If you shop EBay, contact the seller and ask how the model was constructed.

Once you do have a boat, you can still check with M.A.C.K. for accessories and trim They have an excellent line that is still growing. For advice on upgrading the driveline components (or finishing a new-build project), M.A.C.K. is also your best source.

For building your own runabout , this forum has dozens of threads you may want to read through first.
linerfanatic is offline Find More Posts by linerfanatic
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:30 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,112 Posts
For what you get the ProBoat classic runabout is a good buy. It's really a 1940 C/C barrelback runabout. Mine has been very dependable for the 4 or 5 years I've had it. I did change the plastic wheel to an Octra bronze one and changed to an ESC with reverse as the original had only forward. But still use the original radio system that comes with it. It is a fiberglass hull with thin mahogany strips overlay.
charlie eaton is online now Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Apr 2004
60 Posts
Quote:
RIVA AQUARAMA Wood Model Ship Kit AM1608 $599.99
Historic Scale Wooden Model Ship Kit by Amati Model
gorgeous boat, but looks to be a static display, also at 600 it's a little expensive..

Quote:
Classic Runabout EP RTR by Pro Boat
$329.99
List: $499.99
Item is discontinued.
look good, pretty good price, but discontinued (horizonhobby.com)

i wonder how the wood/fiberglass bod holds up, do you have to do any preventative maintenance (a coat of varnish every year or something) so water doesn't get behind the planking

thanks for the heads up on mack marine, the dumas barrelback for 224 looks good, and the accessories are insane!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:40 PM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Bought this discontinued IMEX "Michigan" at the Toledo show this year for less than $200...included radio, esc, everything but batteries. Fiberglass hull with veneer outside.
Swift16 is offline Find More Posts by Swift16
Last edited by Swift16; Apr 22, 2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Correct fat-fingered spelling. ARRG!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Apr 2004
60 Posts
right here is the place to get a riva.. from the mfr authorized rep themselves

http://www.kiade.com/ship-models-GB/...?produit_id=66

jaw dropping 'n beautiful

price is beautiful too.. i can't find it now, but i think on the order of 1100 bucks!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:02 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,215 Posts
Yer its a beauty..

Ill' do the Amati kit when im done with my Smith Rotterdam. aka. Maersk Rotterdam.

Did a Maersk paintjob on it, thinking its nicer in baby blue
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:03 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,215 Posts
Or maybe il make the Standard flex on my avetar picture, i got the kit ready. BUT... loves the Riva maghogny planks so it probaly gonna be that one...
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:41 AM
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Aquacraft has discontinued the runabout but dont forget about the replacement "Riva" they now offer...
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old Aug 02, 2014, 12:38 AM
the man on a boat
Joined Apr 2013
31 Posts
we produce boat from solid wood, and testified by those activities, check our facebook page:
https://facebook.com/tantrasway

here is the links:

RTR: https://tantrasway.com/rc-models/rea...-1-10-rtr.html

Boat hull: https://tantrasway.com/scale-models/...uarama-special

especially this bare wood hull is on free shipping promotion to US, Europe: https://tantrasway.com/scale-models/...oden-hull.html
tantrasway.com is offline Find More Posts by tantrasway.com
Old Aug 02, 2014, 09:18 AM
Joined Apr 2004
60 Posts
since it's been brought up again, i'll chime in in because i'm the op. i did buy one of the ones from vietnam and the thing about self destructed the second i took a dremel to it to make it rc.

then i found an original amati riva that had never been run

Old Aug 02, 2014, 09:19 AM
Joined Jun 2008
733 Posts
I like to use Tower Hobbies,with the discounts they offer you can get about $15 and free shipping
redlined_b16a is offline Find More Posts by redlined_b16a