HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Have you had problems with the spektrum dx6i?
Yes I had problems. 23 35.38%
No, it has worked well. 42 64.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:49 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Poll
Have you had problems with you spektrum dx6i?

Have you had problems with you spektrum dx6i? Did Horizon Hobbies resolve the issue or do you still have issues? Are you confident with this transmitter?
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:02 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Sep 2008
359 Posts
On the third flight ever with a brand new DX6i the airplanes rudder suddenly went to full left deflection in flight. I was able to make a half assed landing using full opposite ailerons to salvage the plane. After catching my breath I checked the servo monitor screen and the servo rudder indicator was at full left deflection with NO response from the rudder stick. I sent the radio back to HH and it was back in my posession in less than 2 weeks. They replaced the rudder pot AND the trainer port!! I've had stick pots go bad before but that was usually after the radio was 10 years old not 3 flights old. I've only had 1 flight on it after I got it back (winter set in) but I will start using it again soon and see how it goes. At the moment I have more confidance in my cheap Turnigy 9X then with the DX6i. I only purchased it to use with the BnF Warbirds from Horizon. My primary radio is the Airtronics SD-10G.
crazy8s is online now Find More Posts by crazy8s
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:20 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,005 Posts
Have had mine for quite a while now and it gets used a lot. No problems so far, in fact I really like this radio, it does more than I need, but it is also my first radio other than the ones that came with my first planes. Still have a few open memory slots. I think that's it was a good buy!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:00 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,153 Posts
I really liked my 6i but had to get ride of it because I lost confidence in it. This especially after I bought a nice Extreme Flight plane. I did not want to crash the plane due to a lockout. Right after I got it 2-1/2 years ago is when they did the receiver recall. I sent in both of mine and after they returned all seemed good. I still kept the capacitor installed as a safety measure but recently I started seeing my remote receiver blinking after flights. Although I never had a problem I just could not deal with the uncertainty of it especially with so many post about problems. Not wanting to send it back at the start of this flying season I sold it and bought a Futaba 7C. I chose the 7C because the price was good and I wanted triple rates thanks to the 80 of elevator travel of my Extra 300 EXP. I also did not like the lower limit of the end point adjustment, I think it was 120% where my 7C is 140%.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:04 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. My radio had problems initially when it was brand new. I sent it back to HH for repair. They sent it back claiming it was fine and making no repairs. A few days later I had a complete brownout and lost a new hobbyzone supercub BNF. A week later they posted their infamous recall for a defective pot. I had to send it back, and was without a transmitter for about five weeks.

I started a thread to complain, and they eventually replaced the lost airplane, but only after weeks of complaining and thousands of views by rcgroupers.

It then worked fine for about a year. Then I started having problems. At an event in a local gym, my new night vapor would cut off. But as this was a new plane I thought the problem was related to the batteries not having enough C discharge capacity. There was also no damage to the vapor as it is very light and would float down when power cut off.

About a month later I lost completely my new hobbyzone supercub again. I love this plane. Anyway, as it was no longer responding, I handed the controls to my friend Dave to see if he could do anything. He reported it didn't respond to inputs at all. I attributed the problem to some unknown electrical bug such as esc and or servo, faulty connection to battery or something along those lines.

Three weeks ago, I lost first a ultra micro mustang and then a T28. Both planes had the same problem, brownouts. Lost of control. Both planes were totaled. I had yet another super cub which lost control, but had never took off and so it wasn't damaged. I realized then I had another bad transmitter problem, which was the link in all the crashes. The plane went down the runway about 50' and then failed to respond to input from the transmitter, then turned back on intermittently. I had to send the transmitter back, and they claimed the antennae was broken. Yet, I never dropped the transmitter. Also, its not really a moving part except folding the antennae and unfolding to fly. I have more faith in a used radio from futaba someone had given me and didn't want any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8s View Post
On the third flight ever with a brand new DX6i the airplanes rudder suddenly went to full left deflection in flight. I was able to make a half assed landing using full opposite ailerons to salvage the plane. After catching my breath I checked the servo monitor screen and the servo rudder indicator was at full left deflection with NO response from the rudder stick. I sent the radio back to HH and it was back in my posession in less than 2 weeks. They replaced the rudder pot AND the trainer port!! I've had stick pots go bad before but that was usually after the radio was 10 years old not 3 flights old. I've only had 1 flight on it after I got it back (winter set in) but I will start using it again soon and see how it goes. At the moment I have more confidance in my cheap Turnigy 9X then with the DX6i. I only purchased it to use with the BnF Warbirds from Horizon. My primary radio is the Airtronics SD-10G.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:50 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
It's almost half and half now.

This poll will close on Jun 18, 2011 at 06:51 PM
Yes I had problems. 7 46.67%
No, it has worked well. 8 53.33%
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:05 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taekwondo View Post
It's almost half and half now.

This poll will close on Jun 18, 2011 at 06:51 PM
Yes I had problems. 7 46.67%
No, it has worked well. 8 53.33%
No company should be content with those odds on any of their products.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:53 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I dont know how to vote. I have flown 2 DX6is all last season with no problems. I now have only one and I removed the ratchet on the throttle and tightened the stick tension. I found a mystery piece of plastic floating around in the case afterwards. Well it took 2 weeks of e-mails with Andy and my own ingenuity to figure out there is nothing wrong. These little blocks are only there for installing the springs on the sticks. They are little shim blocks held in place with friction. What seemed like a horror show was really nothing at all. So if you hear something rattling around inside and find a little plastic block, dont be alarmed. here are pictures of it.
VP

Well I did have a small problem that I figured out. So I just voted No.
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:29 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,495 Posts
Never had any issues with my DX6i even after opening it up for the Backlight mod and its still going strong. Has performed better then my new DX8.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 01, 2011, 06:17 PM
Simon
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2011
1 Posts
Elevator at full up position

I bought an mCPx BNF and searched around for a new DX6i Transmitter only. I finally found one yesterday, brought it home only to find that the Elevator is in full up position on the monitor... has the Pot problem. This is a brand new Transmitter... date of manufacture is Nov 2010. Called HH and they said it was the Pot problem and needed to be sent in for repair.

So now I'm stuck with a brand new Heli I can't fly for at least 2 weeks. So much for the latest transmitters being problem free.
Undies is offline Find More Posts by Undies
Old May 05, 2011, 09:04 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Still right around 50%!, pretty shocking.
Old May 05, 2011, 09:05 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
What's wrong with your dx8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Never had any issues with my DX6i even after opening it up for the Backlight mod and its still going strong. Has performed better then my new DX8.
Old May 05, 2011, 09:32 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
Quote:
A few days later I had a complete brownout and lost a new hobbyzone supercub BNF.

Three weeks ago, I lost first a ultra micro mustang and then a T28. Both planes had the same problem, brownouts.
Brownouts have absolutely NOTHING to do with the transmitter and are purely a result of inadequate power supply to the receiver. They are clearly signaled by a flashing receiver light (unless of course, the battery is disconnected).

If you mean the radio link was lost, just say that.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 05, 2011, 09:37 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Brownouts have absolutely NOTHING to do with the transmitter and are purely a result of inadequate power supply to the receiver. They are clearly signaled by a flashing receiver light (unless of course, the battery is disconnected).

If you mean the radio link was lost, just say that.
Tell that to a DX8 owner!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 05, 2011, 09:40 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
Quote:
Still right around 50%!, pretty shocking.
Numbers like 50% are totally meaningless since the responses are in no way a representative sample. You could get such numbers if only 1% of users had problems, as it's the people with problems who are far more likely to respond.

The more interesting part is to read what people report in terms of specific problems.

My own judgement, based on extensive local experience and reading the forum since the DX6i came out, is that it's a pretty good inexpensive transmitter that works well most of the time. While it does have occasional problems (setting aside the batch that had faulty pots), the great majority of users don't experience them. I continue to recommend it as a low priced transmitter with quite decent programming.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66