HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
New Product
MKS DS65k

We are excited to announce the World Premiere of the all new MKS DS65k F3K micro servo.
A machined aluminum case, metal gears but with only an all up weight of around 7grams.
As of now the Speed, Voltage and Torque is unknown.
http://www.facebook.com/MKS.servo#!/MKS.servo?sk=wall
http://www.rcmania.hk/2011/04/3193
Once we have more details, $$ and an ETA, RC groups will be one of the first to know.
Here are some pics for you all,
Thanks,
MKS Servos USA
MKSservosUSA.com is offline Find More Posts by MKSservosUSA.com
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:17 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Looks good but boy it is going to be hard to cut those tabs off!
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:19 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,450 Posts
Speed, voltage, and torque are of little concern, generally, to F3K fliers. These are the things that matter:

1) Thickness-less than 9mm for use in wings
2) Centering-most important characteristic, servo needs to center well and reliably.
3) Gear Train Slop-nylon or carbonite. Metal develops slop the fastest and is to be avoided at all cost.
4) Power draw-we don't have the batteries to support high power draw servos

A metal case and metal gears are stupid imo, and add nothing but marketing to the servo. A tight nylon gear train with a high end pot in a light plastic case makes much more sense to me.

My list of requirements is hard to do in a low cost servo, there is a reason most fliers are using $30 DS-09's in the wings and $20-$30 JR SM22's and DS285's in the pods. If the MKS65 centers well, lacks thermal drift, is thinner than 9mm and costs $15, it could be a winner but I doubt it will meet all these requirements.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:25 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,425 Posts
looks very nice! I'm interested to see what the specifications of it will turn out to be. My main concern is that having an aluminum case, will it be able to be glued in and have as much bite as one with a plastic case? Other than that, great work!
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:35 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
850 Posts
High voltage is a must!
It’s time we had affordable high voltage servos in order to get rid of the regulators.
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,657 Posts
They sure are pretty.

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Speed, voltage, and torque are of little concern, generally, to F3K fliers. These are the things that matter:

1) Thickness-less than 9mm for use in wings
2) Centering-most important characteristic, servo needs to center well and reliably.
3) Gear Train Slop-nylon or carbonite. Metal develops slop the fastest and is to be avoided at all cost.
4) Power draw-we don't have the batteries to support high power draw servos

A metal case and metal gears are stupid imo, and add nothing but marketing to the servo. A tight nylon gear train with a high end pot in a light plastic case makes much more sense to me.

My list of requirements is hard to do in a low cost servo, there is a reason most fliers are using $30 DS-09's in the wings and $20-$30 JR SM22's and DS285's in the pods. If the MKS65 centers well, lacks thermal drift, is thinner than 9mm and costs $15, it could be a winner but I doubt it will meet all these requirements.
Sam,
Once we have all the specification like thickness, current draw, etc I will post it.

We have found Speed, voltage and torque along with the points you bring to the table are all important to the contest F3K pilot.
Voltage has been a request by a number of F3K pilots I have spoken with in the past as they would like to run unregulated 2s Lipo’s at 7.4V in there DLG’s.
Holding torque has also been a concern. With the move to stiffer, stronger airframes that can be thrown harder and faster, most of the F3K pilots I know are now using stronger servos (like the DS-09's) to stop the blowback and flutter of their control surfaces.
Yes thickness of around 9mm will be great for wings.
MKS is known for great centering in their Digital Servos and will have that answer about the DS65k once we start playing with them.
MKS latest servos such as the DS6125 series and the DS95/95i has proven that the new alloys like titanium that they are using in their gears are both super tight and has helped in slowing future slop.
Regarding the aluminum case, this is not a marketing ploy. The stiffer case holds the gears, bearings, motor etc all in better alignment under high/sudden forces. In return this helps with reducing future gear wear/slop and makes the control surfaces feel more crisp.
Lastly the price point is unknown as of now but it I am pretty certain it will be a little more than $15.

Thanks again for your ideas and thoughts on the perfect F3K servo and hope our new DS65k can live up to it,
Regards,
MKS Servos USA
MKSservosUSA.com is offline Find More Posts by MKSservosUSA.com
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MKSservosUSA.com; Apr 19, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:08 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,171 Posts
Got to tinker with this servo's bigger brothers at the AMA Expo. Very nice indeed. I can't wait for more details!!!

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSservosUSA.com View Post
Sam,
Once we have all the specification like thickness, current draw, etc I will post it.

We have found Speed, voltage and torque along with the points you bring to the table are all important to the contest F3K pilot.
Voltage has been a request by a number of F3K pilots I have spoken with in the past as they would like to run unregulated 2s Lipo’s at 7.4V in there DLG’s.
Holding torque has also been a concern. With the move to stiffer, stronger airframes that can be thrown harder and faster, most of the F3K pilots I know are now using stronger servos to stop the blowback and flutter of their control surfaces.
Yes thickness of around 9mm will be great for wings.
MKS is known for great centering in their Digital Servos and will have that answer about the DS65k once we start playing with them.
MKS latest servos such as the DS6125 series and the DS95/95i has proven that the new alloys like titanium that they are using in their gears are both super tight and has helped in slowing future slop.
Regarding the aluminum case, this is not a marketing ploy. The stiffer case holds the gears, bearings, motor etc all in better alignment under high/sudden forces. In return this helps with reducing future gear slop and makes the control surfaces feel more crisp.
Lastly the price point, unknown as of now but it I am pretty certain it will be a little more than your $15.

Thanks again for your ideas and thoughts on the perfect F3K servo and hope our new DS65k can live up to it,
Regards,
MKS Servos USA
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:08 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,785 Posts
Sounds like Mr. MKSservosUSA.com has done his homework on the issues that we care about. I'm anxious to see what they come up with!
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:40 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,450 Posts
Glad to hear the concerns of the F3K pilots were heard when this servo was engineered. Titanium gears are in another league from the standard alloys and should hold up fine. And yes, I realize you can't get your cake and eat it to, $15 is cheap for a servo of any decent quality and something with the right properties for DLG's are likely to cost more ($20-$30). What can you say, I'm cheap with less than $150 total invested in each of my airplanes (homebuilt, cheaper servos and electronics). I'd buy these if 7.4v compatible, have similar properties to DS-09's and also fit in the fuselage.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Ben Gurion, Israel
Joined Sep 2004
887 Posts
Looks nice but still there are some question:
If the servo is meant for F3K, why is there a metal case?
F3k pilots are very often cut the tabs off due to lack of space, and it seems that it will be more difficult with this servo.
For F3K pilot weight is a huge issue, why not to use a plastic case instead of a metal case and save some weight?
Eitan.
eitanro is online now Find More Posts by eitanro
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:10 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSservosUSA.com View Post
Regarding the aluminum case, this is not a marketing ploy. The stiffer case holds the gears, bearings, motor etc all in better alignment under high/sudden forces. In return this helps with reducing future gear wear/slop and makes the control surfaces feel more crisp.

Regards,
MKS Servos USA
I would also think that it helps with cooling. I would have to see the numbers to know that the plastic case is lighter. The higher strength and stiffness of the aluminum will allow the wall thickness to be thinner and the aluminum case may end up being lighter than a plastic case. 7 grams is lighter than any of the servos I currently use. . .

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,878 Posts
Will it support LiFe? Everything else looks good.
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,479 Posts
I checked: a cutoff wheel in my Dremel handles aluminum just fine.

On the other hand (since I still have bagged-wing airplanes), it might be a nice security feature to install the servos with the tabs fitting into slots in the foam.

I'll be waiting for details.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:41 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david forbes View Post
will it support life? Everything else looks good.
Dave
oops ......
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Apr 21, 2011 at 05:18 AM.