SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:01 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
Question
Is Anybody Flying in the Northern Virginia (Sterling/Ashburn/Leesburg) Area?

I have been flying electric helicopters for about a year and a half, following and contributing to several forums (RC Groups, HobbyKing, RC Discuss), and have recently graduated from 3 channel helicopters to 4 channel (Solo Pro, Free Spirit, Art-Tech MD500), and am interested in learning skills I can get by watching and talking to others.

Are there any groups flying in the Northern Virginia/DC area?

Are there any events scheduled in the Washington DC area during the Spring/Summer of 2011?

Please "chime in" if you are experienced and willing to share your knowledge or if you are like me and just want to get together and see what others are doing.
Virginia Jim is offline Find More Posts by Virginia Jim
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:55 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Jim,

Congrats on graduating to 4-channel helis! We have a bunch of heli and plane fliers closer in to the city, and fly at various fields in NoVA and MD. I have a Trex 500 that I just converted to flybarless, and other guys have various other CP helis, from a Trex 250 up to an electric Joker (.90-size/700mm blades). You can probably find some pilots out closer to you, but if you can't you're always welcome to join us. Check out this thread for more info.

Anatoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Jim View Post
I have been flying electric helicopters for about a year and a half, following and contributing to several forums (RC Groups, HobbyKing, RC Discuss), and have recently graduated from 3 channel helicopters to 4 channel (Solo Pro, Free Spirit, Art-Tech MD500), and am interested in learning skills I can get by watching and talking to others.

Are there any events scheduled in the Washington DC area during the Spring/Summer of 2011?

Please "chime in" if you are experienced and willing to share your knowledge or if you are like me and just want to get together and see what others are doing.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
Anatoly:
Thanks for your encouragement and the invitation. I will be in touch.
Since it sounds like your group is quite a bit ahead of me, I'm still hoping there are some intermediate flyers who will check in here and comment on their interests.
VJ
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:12 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Since it sounds like your group is quite a bit ahead of me, I'm still hoping there are some intermediate flyers who will check in here and comment on their interests.
VJ
Jim,

We have heli fliers at various levels, so I wouldn't let that discourage you. Besides, I would think you would want pointers from experienced pilots.

-Anatoly
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old May 02, 2011, 12:00 AM
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,536 Posts
yo!

I'm an intermediate pilot. I took the quick route... coaxial, fp, then cp in about 2 months. Not to say I'm a great pilot by any means, but I'm okay, I fly micro and full sized foamies too! When I have a quick moment, I fly at a few soccer fields close to my home in Chantilly (about 15 mins from you), however, I have recently discovered Algonkian (sp) sportsplex out by you, and I always see so many fields open, I'm dying to take a plane or at least a heli over there. PM me and we can exchange emails.
PontiusPilate is offline Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old May 02, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
PP:
I will followup with a personal message as you suggest. Thanks for responding to this inquiry.

Other interested flyers in the area:
Please respond here, express your interests as PP did, and perhaps we can arrange for a group flying session soon in this area.

VJ
Old May 11, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Jul 2006
808 Posts
Is Anybody Flying in the Northern Virginia (Sterling/Ashburn/Leesburg) Area?

Quote:
PP:
I will followup with a personal message as you suggest. Thanks for responding to this inquiry.

Other interested flyers in the area:
Please respond here, express your interests as PP did, and perhaps we can arrange for a group flying session soon in this area.

VJ

we have been flying heli (nitro & electric) and airplane in this place (38.876938,-77.444529, near hobby hangar in chantilly) on sat and sunday (8:30am-2:00pm) for many years. Some flying video clips

hung trex600 (7 min 39 sec)

John F27 Stryker (2 min 15 sec)

Vu 02 (2 min 53 sec)
videonic is offline Find More Posts by videonic
Old May 11, 2011, 01:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
VideoNic:

Cool videos! Thanks for sharing this information.

Is the easiest way to find the site, to check in with the guys at Hobby Hangar? Were the numbers you provided GPS coordinates?

When I checked them, I got 14370 Newbrook Dr, near the intersection of Sully Rd and Westfields Blvd. Is that right?

I just got my Nine Eagles Free Spirit 220A properly balanced, and have had some good flights, so I'm anxious to fly in an open area like that in your videos.

Based on the videos you provided, I'm going to be WAY out of my league, but I expect to watch and learn.

VJ
Last edited by Virginia Jim; May 11, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Jul 2006
808 Posts
Quote:
VideoNic:

When I checked them, I got 14370 Newbrook Dr, near the intersection of Sully Rd and Westfields Blvd. Is that right?

VJ
The address is the CACi building and the flying field is the accross the building. That place is only 1/2 mile from hobby hangar. If you don't know how to get there. You can ask the people at hobby hangar.
videonic is offline Find More Posts by videonic
Last edited by videonic; May 11, 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:13 PM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Hey Virginia Jim,

I'm out in Leesburg not too far from you, I got back into the hobby with a co-axial last winter. Moved up to a 4ch fixed pitch shortly after then built my first 6Ch CP heli this past summer. Started flying planes too. My last experience was a very small amount of nitro plane flying about 15yrs ago.
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
Hey Virginia Jim,
I'm out in Leesburg not too far from you
Naryan:

Good for you, getting back into the hobby! There is actually an excellent AMA flying field just south of Leesburg. It is maintained by the Loudoun County Aeromodelers Association (LCAA) which I have joined. This is a good club with both helicopter and plane pilots. Check out their site. There is a club meeting Dec 13th.
http://www.lcaa.org/

Hope to see you there.

VJ
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:50 AM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Naryan:

Good for you, getting back into the hobby! There is actually an excellent AMA flying field just south of Leesburg. It is maintained by the Loudoun County Aeromodelers Association (LCAA) which I have joined. This is a good club with both helicopter and plane pilots. Check out their site. There is a club meeting Dec 13th.
http://www.lcaa.org/

Hope to see you there.

VJ
I was turned off from clubs by past experiences but I keep hearing great things about LCAA. I think I'll check it out. Is the meeting open to perspective members too?
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
Lcaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
I was turned off from clubs by past experiences but I keep hearing great things about LCAA. I think I'll check it out. Is the meeting open to prospective members too?
Naryan:

Of course! And if you are there at 7pm (before the regular meeting), they (we) have just started a 30 minute mini-helicopter fly session in the meeting room. These guys are not the arrogant big plane/helicopter or nothing types you may have experienced elsewhere. They are just fun-loving guys always ready with a joke or wisecrack, all in good fun. There is a raffle of Hobby Hanger stuff at most every meeting. Tickets are $1 each. Though I had been buying $5 worth of tickets since May (when I started attending) but never won anything, last month I won a PZ micro J-3 Cub (RTF)!

VJ
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Brambleton

Quote:

Hi! I've caught the heli-bug as well. Live in Brambleton (Ashburn), Va - pretty close. There is a nice sized open field behind my development. Currently flying a mCP X v2 modded. When it's not crazy windy I'm out buzzing around all the time. Feel free to PM me. I'm just learning as well.

Cheers,
Alex
alexva is offline Find More Posts by alexva
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
Need competitors for friendly race!

Northern Virginia area heli fliers:

How can you resist? The time is now. This heli HAULS you-know-what! I looking some fun-loving partners to race these outside!

This fixed pitch RTF heli comes with extra blade, 2 batteries, 2-battery charger with USB cable, transmitter with backlit LCD, cloth bag with molded component compartments. $40 with FREE SHIPPING! Note that you can pick orange, blue or red color scheme.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

Or you could order the BNF for $21 (ALSO FREE SHIPPING!) and buy the compatible Turnigy 9x (Hobby King $40+shipping) transmitter for more range and mixing controls.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

I suspect that there may be some uncertified fliers in the group so we may need to meet at an unoccupied soccer field to trim our birds and get familiar with them. The idea is to level the playing field by using the same heli, not spend a lot of money, and have fun.

Come-on rich guys! Shake loose a little coin and go for this one! I want to hear from the big spenders who decide to do it!

VJ
Last edited by Virginia Jim; Apr 24, 2012 at 09:13 PM.