SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:03 AM
EFLY GEEK
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2002
455 Posts
GWS ME-109 and Razor 400 on hold till I get an Answer!! Please someone help me.

It looks like once the motor gets installed on the ME-109 that it is there to stay. I am in the process of putting a Razor 400 into the stock gear box and need to have a few questions answered before I move forward. This is my only day to build (Saturdays) and I am hold until I get answers.

1st ? - When putting the Razor 400 into a GWS C gear box do I need to only use lock tite to hold the Pinion Gear in place or should I go as far as soldering it into place? I have read a few articles where the pinion starts to slip when using lock tite only. Are there any other options?

2nd ? - I notice there is a limit on how far to screw in the motor mounting screws for the Razor. Do I need any washers on the screws when trying to mount this motor to the GWS gear box. Seems like the screws are getting close to bottoming out and I don't want to screw up the motor.

3rd ? -I cut a way all the ridges in the battery compartment to make room for a 2s2p 2400 ETEC pack. I don't have quiet enough room for running two of my 3S1P 700 ETECs in paralell but I might be able to come up with something. Should I have any CG problems (have to add weight to the nose) running with the 2s2p setup?

Thanks for any info.

EF
Electriflight is offline Find More Posts by Electriflight
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:16 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,537 Posts
Anybody who tries to solder that hardened steel 1/8' dia. motor shaft is nuts, you'll have to heat it up so much you will burn the whole thing up! Green locktite is the best for this, be carefull, very carefull, you dont get any in the front bearing, it will wick in like CA, also try to roughen up the shaft before installing the pinion with a scotchbright pad of 400 sandpaper, justenough so you see fine scratches on the shaft. The 2 cell Li pack wont be enough voltage for the brusless in this application, Hog out the foam for the two 3-cell li packs... Now GET TO WORK And let the locktite cure today and fly tomorrow, and clean the shaft and pinion with solvent before you assemble it.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:17 AM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
If the pinion came off of another motor, then loctite wil not hold it very well. If it is a new replacement pinion, then it will be a tight fit and you wont even need loctite.

I used the screws that came with my razor and didn't have to use washers.

sorry, can't help with the battery thing. I don't have an ME-109
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:18 AM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,861 Posts
EF,

I have carefully (one small drop to the outside end of the shaft once the pinion is in place, but BE CAREFUL) CA'd my pinion on two different Razors and have not had any problems. LocTite works but usually loosens.

The stock motor screws can be used with the GWS GB. Yes, it looks close, but again, I have used them without washers and have not had any probems.

I'll defer the battery compartment question to someone else.

-Ted
Ted U is offline Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:35 AM
EFLY GEEK
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2002
455 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys. I can always count on the ZONE. I am off to get the Green Loctite now.

I am little worried about hogging out the battery compartment much more than I already have. I can always fly on a single 3 cell pack there is a plenty of room in there for that. I was only wanting to bump up to two packs for longer duration flights and I was a concerned about CG when using a single 3 Cell 700 ETEC pack.

EF
Electriflight is offline Find More Posts by Electriflight
Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:09 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,537 Posts
I havent done this myself, but if you search the more recent forms on GWS warbirds, most are modifing the nose area of the fusalage and puting the Li batery directly aft of the motor stick. Find the post and the pictures will show you better than me tring to describe it
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976