HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:42 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Build Log
SNICE Sbach 342 3D - 34" Full Fuse - PLANS FINALLY ADDED!!!

Update: 8/1/11
PLANS Finally added!!! See below. Plans are Version 1 -- some changes will most likely be made before final release!

more practice!!!
Snice Sbach 342 3D More Practice! (4 min 33 sec)

Sbach 342 3D - R/C Scratchbuild: Practice (4 min 59 sec)

Update: 4/7/11
Successful Maiden!!! Got it on video - see below!!! I am by no means a 3D pilot (yet), but I think she did great. Looking forward to seeing this plane in the hands of a more experienced pilot!!!

Build details and Plans will follow soon!!!

To do:
-Secure Canopy & Electronics
-Paint
-Practice
-Practice
-Practice.

Sbach 342 3D R/C Scratchbuild - Maiden Flight (8 min 47 sec)

Update: 4/3/11
.... I have redesigned the model for a more scale look and started putting it together. Currently the w/s is 34"...Updated pics and notes are in post #6!

-------------------------
So I finally took the plunge and have started my Sbach 342. Been 'talking' and thinking about it for a while. I've been stuck on EDF's lately and then I took my 30" scratch ultimate out and had a blast. It made me want to get into more aerobatic and 3D type stuff. So I've been practicing with my ultimate, and finally decided to start on a full fuse 342. I've also been following other threads and builds of 342's and aerobatic models. Once I got a glimpse of eflite's new UMX 342, it was on!

This will be a learning process for me, and I will post plans when I finally get to that point. Right now I am still in the planning/rendering stages. As I get my shell completed, I have a few things to consider:

-How large should control surfaces be for a 3D capable craft?
-Will the taper at the end of my wing cause any nasty flight characteristics?
-Does my airfoil seem suitable for the job? - do I need to do more research?
-How strong does my airframe need to be? (to withstand snaps, stressful maneuvers, etc)
-Removeable wings - one piece or two?
-Would like to build in two sizes - 24-30" version as well as a 40" version.

The above are things I am thinking about while putting ths aircraft together. As far as design goes, I want it to look good (noticeable as a sbach 342), be strong, and be as few pieces as possible.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Initial Pics are below. I may also do a quick build profile version.
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Last edited by SNice; Aug 07, 2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: updates
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:03 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,409 Posts
How large should control surfaces be for a 3D capable craft? The tail feathers look good and ailerons to the line nearest the trailing edge would be a good size.

Will the taper at the end of my wing cause any nasty flight characteristics? That taper is not excessive and it shouldn't be nasty.

Does my airfoil seem suitable for the job? - do I need to do more research? The sharp leading edge is not good, but otherwise the contour looks nice.

How strong does my airframe need to be? (to withstand snaps, stressful maneuvers, etc) As strong as you can make it without adding too much weight.

Removable wings - one piece or two? I'd not have removable wings, but that's just me.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Last edited by Whiskers; Jul 11, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:40 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
cut your fuse bottom down from le , and te of wing , then you have an easy 1 pc removable wing like i did with my extra .

Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:38 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
I like the single wing removable idea -- perhaps that would be easier than two pieces and tubes. Prime 8, how does the wing attach -- is it sturdy - will it withstand snap rolls, etc?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:00 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
i tested all sorts .. rite now its dowels near te, and packing tape as the plastic snaps are / were not enough on thire own .. but snaps hold it in position while tape helps me be sure ..

my buildthread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324834

but these 2 pics may show better //

Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:35 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
New design!

After letting this project sit for a bit, I have finally come back to it...

I started from the ground up and redesigned the model from the actual 3 views -- giving it a scale appearance. I noticed that in most models of the sbach, the fuse is elongated. I assume this is to improve 3D handling and reduce pitchyness. I decided to keep the lines true to the actual plane just for fun . This will be my first 3D plane anyway so I don't have anything to compare it's flight handling to!

I increased sizes of all control surfaces to make the model 3D capable. For now, I am going with a KFm4 wing, but if I ever build a 40" version, I would like to do a built up wing.

A few teaser pics below! More to come soon!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:30 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Today I was able to install rudder and elevator servos, and install landing gear and tail skid mounting plates. Did some finish sanding on the lower fuse. I also did some work with the cg. I am attempting to place all electronics so that the plane will balance on the cg point without a battery. This will allow me to use a wide range of battery sizes.

I also weighed all components - fuse, landing gear, wheel pants, wing, servos, esc, motor, and 1600 3S lipo (largest battery I would use). It came out to juat under 15oz.

What's left:
-Cut access hatches out of top fuse
-figure out how to properly form cowl
-final fuse sanding
- install wing & aileron servos
-test taxi/maiden
- paint (if she earns it!)
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:39 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,603 Posts
Cool plane !

Congrats SNice, i look forward for the maiden
Regards
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:41 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Thanks, Dreamcatcher! I must give you some credit as well, as I drew inspiration from your Funtana model -- the construction technique is very similar.

... a few more pics...
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:50 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
very cool man ..
you will be tearing up the sky soon enough ..

:: built up wing idea i had was to layer some FFF together ( or DsF) an dthen cut to shape os teh inner foil ribs ..
the make skin from DSF or FFF..?
i wonder if it would be strong enought without lots of CF tubes.
i wuld prolly do LE with dowl so it could be sanded .
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:12 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Ready for Maiden!

Finished her up tonight. Really happy with how she turned out.

-15.7oz fully loaded with a 1600mah 3S lipo - thrust =weight at a little over 1/2 throttle.

-14.3oz with a 1000mah 3S lipo - the smallest battery I would use.

-W/L comes out to 9.67 oz/sq.ft.

-Hooked the motor and prop up to a watt meter -- at full throttle, I'm getting about 188W at 16.5A.

All the numbers look good for 3D -- can't wait to see how she does in the air... hopefully she will earn herself a paint job!

After successful maiden, I will release plans if there is enough interest!!!!
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:02 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Maiden this morning went well! Got her back in one piece and got some good video as well. My flight ended a little short after a snap roll released the canopy from the plane. I wasn't sure what had happened so I cut the throttle and brought her in. The glide angle is very steep -- more like a 'flat fall'. Definitely needs power for smooth landings. Ran through a few more packs after the canopy incident. This plane is a lot of fun!

Slow speed flight was great -- with the tail sitting -- no signs of wing rock. I think the kf airfoil helps with that.

Vertical is unlimited. I was worried that my motor would not be powerful enough for 3D but it proved to be a non issue.

Now I need to practice ad get my 3d skillz up so I can really show her off!
She definitely earned herself a paint job! Video is uploading and processing - will post as soon a I can!
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:19 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
very nice build I will be adding your sbach to my list of sbach's
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:08 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Maiden video!!!

Thanks!!! Really looking forward to seeing this model in the hands of more experienced pilots!!!!

See first post for maiden video!!!
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:42 AM
New in the game
Nederland, ZH, Capelle aan den IJssel
Joined Feb 2011
126 Posts
Really nice....

subscribed..!!
Remko is offline Find More Posts by Remko