HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:08 PM
Scale Model Video
Joined Dec 2009
88 Posts
Discussion
"Fantine" (scratch-built steam launch) braves windy seas

Hi All,

Fantine has been seen on this site a number of times, but she's never been photographed to the extent that we video'd her yesterday. Peconic Steam and I decided to put her in the water the day after a storm blew through, and the wind and current were quite a lot of fun to battle!

Refresher specs: scratch-built steam launch with a Cheddar boiler and 2 cylinder oscillating Puffin engine - double acting. I'll let Peconic Steam fill in the gaps. Hope you enjoy the video!

R/C Steamboat in Windy Seas (2 min 38 sec)
Rapidnadion is offline Find More Posts by Rapidnadion
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:55 AM
Somerset, UK
Joined Jan 2007
96 Posts
Nice launch; similar to the Amalylis that Cheddar / Bruce Engineering used to supply.

My first experience of Cheddar Models was a visit to the factory (an old nissen hut) when the business had only just opened in around 1988 / 9. John Woodroofe had me sailing the demo Amarylis with Puffin engine and boiler on Cheddar reservoir on a cold and very windy day in November. Needless to say, I was sold.

Your model revives some good memories, thanks.
NeilMac is offline Find More Posts by NeilMac
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:39 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined Dec 2007
507 Posts
NeilMac, I'll have to see if that boat is in the video that Cheddar produced around that time. I will dig it out and look. A good part of the vid. is a tutorial on how to build the Puffin boiler and engine kit, which I found useful. It's still running strong after many hours of use in a salt water environment...
peconic steam is offline Find More Posts by peconic steam
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:16 AM
Somerset, UK
Joined Jan 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic steam View Post
NeilMac, I'll have to see if that boat is in the video that Cheddar produced around that time. I will dig it out and look. A good part of the vid. is a tutorial on how to build the Puffin boiler and engine kit, which I found useful. It's still running strong after many hours of use in a salt water environment...
I bought the Puffin engine kit and installed it in a 42" Saint class tug that I have only recently retired. The engine is of course still going strong.
NeilMac is offline Find More Posts by NeilMac