Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:31 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Mar 2011
54 Posts
Question
Carbon wing strut construction (HZ Super Cub)

A little back story: I purchased a SC as my second plane (my first was a little too "intermediate" for me) and proceeded to immediately destroy it. I purchased an extra fuselage and wing from someone at the field, but then fixed my existing parts with gratuitous amounts of epoxy. Now that I'm flying MUCH better (after a lot of time in a sim), I'm planning to use the extra fuse and wing to make an SC aileron trainer with some attitude. I've already purchased Rx, servos, 30A esc, Exceed Alpha 480 motor, and other odds and ends to complete the second SC.

Which brings me to my question: I don't care for the factory wing struts, and plan to make my own from CF tube. What is the prescribed method of attaching the tube to the wings and fuse? I was thinking something like ring terminals (electrical connectors) epoxied to the ends of the rod/tube. I would then paint them back to match. Is there a better way that I'm just not aware of?

I'm taking plenty of pictures and plan to post a build log when it's done.
themicahmachine is offline Find More Posts by themicahmachine
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 08:00 AM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Hmmm... normally, I cut a V-shaped groove in the wing and then lay it down with epoxy.
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old May 12, 2011, 03:26 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Mar 2011
54 Posts
You're thinking of a carbon spar. I was asking about struts, but it is irrelevant now as the project is finished. I decided not to use any struts, and instead put a massive carbon tube spar in the wing.
themicahmachine is offline Find More Posts by themicahmachine
Old May 12, 2011, 06:16 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
I must have mis-understood your question.

sorry!

PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC