HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone cessna 182. Launch help!!!

Hey all!
Looking for some help with this cessna 182 rtf that I purchased from tower hobbies. This thing feels like a brick! After a few flights i'm curious if anyone has had any problems with the power or flight characteristisc of this plane?
It's an all stock setup....don't wanna modify unless I get some advice.
Thanks, Josh

ps. Im also hand launching ....and its pretty rough.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVVX3&P=0
wickedspecv is offline Find More Posts by wickedspecv
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:24 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
It is underpowered so it isn't much of a candidate for hand launching. Before we got our runway at the club, I used to have to apply full flaps and up elevator to take it off from the grass. You might try that with a hand launch. In the end I outfitted mine with a larger motor and ESC. I can dial things down for a scale take off or I can snap it into the air at full power if needed. I agree, hand launching it should be pretty tough.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Thanks fmw. Do you mind me asking what setup you went with?
Josh
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:35 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Yes. I'm using a Scorpion 3008 (1220) and Scorpion 35 amp ESC. I can get significant power increases from the stock prop and way more power increases with a larger one. The motor in the Cessna is quite weak and that long prop shaft bends by looking at it sideways. I had a nose over and bent the prop shaft and that's what led to my motor upgrade. It's a nice model. It is just a little weak in the power plant department for anything but scale flying. Hand launches are not scale flying.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Update:::: After the flying brick has crashed for the last time Im sending it back to hobbico. Hopefully there is something they can do for me. keeping fingers crossed
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:04 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
What do you expect them to do? Pay for your crash?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:23 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,045 Posts
Actually he's quite correct, we had this one at our field, this one we had simply doesn't fly well or handle correctly, we have some very accomplished flyers and this one just won't do it.

The skyfly series have a low angle take off but will handle much better for you and are even cheaper, this one will hand launch correctly, flown the skyfly with success, but it again isn't my favored.

I will tell you the Flyzone Corvalis is the winner in their series and handling is increadible, flys as well as my best models and lights to boot.

If you can talk them into it, few bucks more for a Corvalis, thats Flyzones best entry.

You can make a stop sign fly with enough power, but heck, get one of the better models..

Good Luck..

Here's the Corvalis, one of my earlier flights, goes up with ease, no hand launching here please, easy handling very predictable flyer, again my favored

57 Inch Flyzone Cessna Corvalis Take Off Maiden (0 min 29 sec)
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Apr 21, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:32 AM
Joined Feb 2010
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedspecv View Post
Update:::: After the flying brick has crashed for the last time Im sending it back to hobbico. Hopefully there is something they can do for me. keeping fingers crossed
I got suckered by this one... As a true beginner, it met all the requirements... High wing trainer? check. Comes as RTF? check. Has ailerons? check. Too bad I didn't have anyone else advise me before I bought it...

I finally put a 30-35 1400kv motor with a 8x6 prop and 40A ESC in the stupid thing. Flies like a warbird but looks like a 172. Silly.
girmann is offline Find More Posts by girmann
Last edited by girmann; Apr 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Im willing to fix it if they do nothing about it....I just have a real hard time getting ripped off. They advertise this plane as a trainer lol. I had an experienced pilot (20 yrs) and he couldnt get it above 10 ft. If I bought it as a kit I would have no problems with it. But a rtf it is not!!!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:08 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
What do you mean ripped off? There are two Cessna 182's. The red one might be considered a rip off. I'm sure it is the one mentioned above. The two are confused all the time and berated by people who haven't owned one. The Flyzone Cessna is an excellent model and it flies as well as anything. I know. I have one. It isn't an aerobatic plane although it will do the standard maneuvers. It isn't a powerful plane but it flies quite nicely in scale fashion. The problem here is the pilot, not the model. You weren't ripped off. You are beginner.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
The model is a brick with wings! ....and yes a the red one is the one I have. The one with the rubberbanded motor. If you sell a product that is ready to fly shouldn't it be ready to fly? Or should it be a $200.00 paper weight. Secondly a blind man would pay alot of money to see that plane fly! It isnt gonna happen the way they sell it! So call me a beginner or whatever. But as a consumer I was ripped OFF!!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:39 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,045 Posts
Its not you, its the dang plane, wish they would take it off the market.

Check the threads and this one with issues pops up immediately.

Decent RTF model should fly right out of the box with zero mods. And are fortunately several that do. Threads are lengthy with praise. Less likely to have issues with these.

Among them are...

The Super Cub, several at our field flew these with great success, excellent beginner model. Mine lasted all year refused to die with loads of abuse.

Are several others, check out the threads...

Here's Jim our school teacher pilot, near zero damage, want to kick it
He over controls abit on an early flight then levels off, missed the tree, and managed to pull it out of a stall. Now is an excellent pilot..

Famed Super Cub

Jims Super Cub Early Flights (0 min 18 sec)
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Feb 2010
198 Posts
Agreed. Crashed that 182 about a dozen times before I put it back in the box and bought a used supercub on the forums. Flew the wings off of it for a year before I tried ailerons again. Best money spent so far.

I'd sell it to you, but I'm still having too much fun with it...
girmann is offline Find More Posts by girmann
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Thanks gir...I already have a parkzone jcub. And I love it!
Old May 03, 2011, 03:59 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Just A update Hobbico Is replacing the plane for free and upgrading the motor. They took the plane out themselves and could not fly it. Glad hobbico stands behind there products.