HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:06 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Discussion
New project, parts should be heading my way soon!

I wasn't planning on any new builds this summer as saving for a wedding and new house in the same year is draining my toy budget, but I found a deal I couldn't pass up on OSE!

So far I have everything from an SV27 on it's way to me except the hull. I'll be ordering a DF26 knockoff in the next couple days, along with different turn fins, motor mount, servo mount, and cooling jacket. Anyone know a cheaper source than HOR for the hull? I think their pricing is very reasonable, but if I can get cheaper I wouldn't complain

I'm not expecting it to be a rocket, but it should be a VERY reliable boat on 4s with the SV27 motor/esc. I'm hoping for low-mid 40's on smooth water.

Total cost minus batteries is going to be about $175 to my door by the look of it, which I can live with

No pictures yet since nothing has even shipped yet, but I'll get some up as soon as things arrive.

Any suggestions for paint? I plan on bringing out the airbrush for this one so the wilder the better!
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,976 Posts
Is the one you are thinking of the similar one to the Prince or the Boogieman, They are both D/F flops but they are 25" not 26".
Promise hobbies sell the Boogieman for $48.00 plus postage.
You may have seen my Red Devil. That's one of them. I've got the SV package in it & race it in Restricted Mono.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boogieman-25-dee...#ht_1246wt_905

I've also had the Prince type hull (my old yellow Bulletproof) running on the SV package & it ran pretty well.
If it's neither of these two hulls, which one is it?
Paul.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:05 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
I was looking at the Prince, it's the most similar to the DF26. I believe both the real one and the prince are listed at 25.5" long, but I've never seen both side by side to compare.

That seller wants $35 to ship to me, so the HOR one is cheaper to my door.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:55 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Thinking about running 1/8" (or maybe thicker if needed?) lite ply rails in it. It would stiffen the hull, and give me a nice place to mount the servo, ESC and RX.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:39 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,976 Posts
I would definitely go for the .150 flex & 3/16" stub.
In my old bullet proof (Prince) I had the SV motor spinning an X645. An M645 would be better but I didn't have one at the time. That's a fair sort of a load on the flex.
All my boats are set up with 1/8" ply rails & battery tray, but with the Prince hull I used the battery tray for the ESC, & put the batteries down the sides.
I have seen one very successfull setup with the motor way forward & a single 4s pack at the rear on a tray over the stuffing tube.
Here's a pic of the setup & an old video of it running the SV package with rhe X645 prop.
25" mono hull "Bulletproof" (1 min 7 sec)
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:10 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
That should be a really fun boat! Be a SV killer!
siberianhusky is offline Find More Posts by siberianhusky
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:06 PM
Cypress Texas
Joined Dec 2007
402 Posts
I have a Black Boogieman bought on a whim from the swap shop on OSE. It is a very nice running hull and solidly built I felt it did not need any reinforcement as there was no flex whatsoever. Run mine on 3000kv and 7.2v most of the time as a general fun boat Octura x440 prop, turns on rails and handles a chop well for its size. Started with no turn fins and no trim tabs. Ran pretty well, have since added turn fins and it handles very well now still see no need for trim tabs cg easily changed with battery placement.

Peter
CaptPJB is offline Find More Posts by CaptPJB
Last edited by CaptPJB; Apr 19, 2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:20 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
I would definitely go for the .150 flex & 3/16" stub.
In my old bullet proof (Prince) I had the SV motor spinning an X645. An M645 would be better but I didn't have one at the time. That's a fair sort of a load on the flex.
All my boats are set up with 1/8" ply rails & battery tray, but with the Prince hull I used the battery tray for the ESC, & put the batteries down the sides.
I have seen one very successfull setup with the motor way forward & a single 4s pack at the rear on a tray over the stuffing tube.
Here's a pic of the setup & an old video of it running the SV package with rhe X645 prop.
I'm getting EVERYTHING from an SV27 except the hull, flex/stub included. I'll only replace it if I need a longer one in the DF hull.

I think I'm going to run 1/8" ply rails simply because it gives me a convenient way to mount the servo, rx and ESC. Added stiffness is a bonus.

SV parts shipped today, going to order the hull, motor mount and turn fins as soon as I stop being lazy.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Whats the motor kv? Is it the older one at around 1500? If so you could make a 5 or 6s boat out of it!!!!
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:45 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,976 Posts
Scorp.
The older blue one is 1800kv. It's the one I have.
It's the Proboat motor that was 1500kv.
I'm not sure what the new Aquacraft SV motor is.
What have you got WP?
Paul.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Oh, getting em mixed up a bit. The 1800 is a good strong 4s motor for sure.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:59 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Both motors are 1800kv 6 pole motors, but there are minor differences between the blue and gold cans (original and SV27R).

I know the motor will happily spin a pretty big prop in the SV27 hull, should be plenty happy in a smaller/faster hull.

My biggest concern now is getting around to ordering the hull and miscellaneous bits, and then coming up with a paint scheme
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:29 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Hull and remaining bits were ordered today. Total cost is now just over $200 to my door (including all the SV27 bits already on their way), but that includes things I didn't *need* like new turn fins, trim tabs, prop balancer, etc.

I plan on running it without trim tabs at first, but for the $8 they cost it wasn't worth not adding them to the order at this time.

Now to plan the paint for it!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:50 PM
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2010
92 Posts
Which hull did you order?
G1ST is offline Find More Posts by G1ST
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:27 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts