HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:17 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
It still has one flex point right at the edge of the board which creates a lever arm (especially when the solder wicks up under the insulation). I've done a lot of things just like he did, and I've seen several of them start to fail because I didn't apply a strain relief to get out to where the cable still flexes. It should be plenty strong since it goes all the way across the receiver, but I still think it might be wise to put a good glob of hot glue over those wires to fix them to the circuit board.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:50 AM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
It still has one flex point right at the edge of the board which creates a lever arm (especially when the solder wicks up under the insulation). I've done a lot of things just like he did, and I've seen several of them start to fail because I didn't apply a strain relief to get out to where the cable still flexes. It should be plenty strong since it goes all the way across the receiver, but I still think it might be wise to put a good glob of hot glue over those wires to fix them to the circuit board.
I think that VI is spot on.... the potential for that joint to flex and fail <in time> is very high.....
JuanRodriguez is online now Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old May 07, 2012, 02:35 PM
Wicklow, Ireland
Joined Mar 2005
32 Posts
OK, I am being lazy here because I do own two Nanos but they are installed in airframes so I am asking you guys!

If you have two Nano receivers bound to a transmitter module as master and slave, would the master receiver still operate correctly if I was to power down the slave?

The reason I ask is that I have a pusher prop model of a F-20 tigershark which is small and wouldn't take retracts. I considered a take-off dolly plugged into an extension lead tied to the fuselage to steer the nosewheel of the dolly. This lead would unplug as the model lifted off.

Now, how's this for an idea? If I had two receivers, one in the airframe for flight controls and one with a separate battery for the steering servo mounted in the take-off dolly. If I was to take off leaving the slave receiver on the dolly, then power off the slave after lift-off, will it affect the master which is flying my F-20 around?

I am sure I could do a test but you guys just know soooooo much

Thanks

Garry
garrykeogh is offline Find More Posts by garrykeogh
Last edited by garrykeogh; May 07, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 03:07 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,852 Posts
No, it won't affect the master. The slave receiver will still be trying to steer the dolly while you were flying though.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:40 PM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Joined Mar 2012
285 Posts
I have been testing the nanos and They do work very well. Installed in a large Habicht glider on aerotow distances of 700 meters were reached.
This was on a aerotow meeting in Nijverdal, netherlands. Heavy 2,4 useage that day and Reliable connection All the way.
Regards, Maarten
MaartenX is offline Find More Posts by MaartenX
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:17 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,852 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Maarten. It's always good to hear things like this, especially overseas where the frequency rules are quite different. It's like the wild west in Europe as the rules are very laxed compared to the U.S., so noise and issues should be much more of a problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:21 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Joined Mar 2012
285 Posts
Jim you are welcome!
Next up is my quarter scale Long Fox.
There is another aerotow meeting coming up, I'll make some pictures and try to get some video too.
Regards Maarten
MaartenX is offline Find More Posts by MaartenX
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:51 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,852 Posts
That would be great, thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:45 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,799 Posts
JD...

there was talk before of providing some of your sailplane rx's for sale as they suit hotliner applications better than the Nano's. Where did we end up with that?..
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:20 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,852 Posts
We have a few available from our private/replacement stash. You would need to PM me and let me know how many you need and we can setup a Paypal transaction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jun 2009
73 Posts
How much reciever effecientcy is lost with the Nano antenna inside a built up balsa fuse. I have been using my nano without problems on my Oly II but the ends of the ant are exposed under the LE of the wing resting on the top of the fuse sides. On my Chrysalis the fuse is pretty wide and the preferred mounting is flat on the fuse floor/bottom. What do you think?
CraigaSOARus54 is offline Find More Posts by CraigaSOARus54
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,241 Posts
Should be no problem mounting inside a wide open balsa fuse. The key that Jim always points to is to make sure you get the RX as high up in the plane as possible (like in the canopy area for example) and make sure it is not blocked by things like big lipos or motor block/fuel tank, etc. I would not mount it on the floor though. And also make sure there is no loose wiring near the RX (zip ties are a good thing ).

I run a Nano-E in a foamy Habu, and the RX sits at the rear of the canopy hatch with the whiskers sandwiched between the fuse canopy sidewalls and the canopy cover. Works perfect!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Jun 2009
73 Posts
Thank you Pat, I'll have to think on this since there is no place other than under the wing to mount the reciever. forward of the wing is all battery and motor. my canopy is a flat balsa piece.
CraigaSOARus54 is offline Find More Posts by CraigaSOARus54
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:57 AM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigaSOARus54 View Post
Thank you Pat, I'll have to think on this since there is no place other than under the wing to mount the reciever. forward of the wing is all battery and motor. my canopy is a flat balsa piece.
The key to a successful installation, no matter where, is a thoughrough range check.... be sure to check ALL orientations and follow the directions on how to perform the test....

It it passes, then you're good to go.....
JuanRodriguez is online now Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,852 Posts
Juan is right... a range test tells all!
RCG Plus Member