SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Most people I know just remove the labels and stick velcro to the PCB. We have to include the label - it has the FCC/IC/CE information.
Jim, is there any "no/no" with using "C/A" to reattach the label?
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:06 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
The label is not required, except for FCC identification. The only thing you can NEVER do is put anything (except the label) over the space between the two antenna wires. If you put glue, epoxy, rubber, etc. over this area the range falls on its face. The parasitic loads induced by certain materials can cause a real problem. It took awhile to find a vinyl (label) that didn't cause an issue.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:55 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
--I wrapped mine in clear packing tape with the label installed. Is that good or bad?
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:00 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,988 Posts
Here is what I'm using a couple of Nano in.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:27 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,705 Posts
"...The label is not required, except for FCC identification. The only thing you can NEVER do is put anything (except the label) over the space between the two antenna wires. If you put glue, epoxy, rubber, etc. over this area the range falls on its face. The parasitic loads induced by certain materials can cause a real problem. It took awhile to find a vinyl (label) that didn't cause an issue..."

Jim,

That caught my eye. I understand what you are saying about materials over the space between the antenna wires. How about velcro on on the bottom of the unit across that space?

The picture shows an example where the velcro does not quite reach that area, but what if it did cover it?

Please advise. Thanks,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Last edited by FlyingW; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:29 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
That's how I secure all my Nano's in my planes, and often times the velcro extends past the end on the RX. Nary a problem so far.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:16 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
That's fine. It's the FRONT side of the board that I am concerned with (between the two coils). If you put anything between those, you would be better off cutting the antenna wires off.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:34 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,705 Posts
Understood. Thanks, Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:38 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Setting up a Nano for another model.
According the manual, the LED (how come it's not blingy blue?!) blinks when a reboot has occurred.
Is there an option to make it blink at another rate to indicate that failsafe (signal loss) has occurred? I know I can do this with a Tattletale but can the Nano indicate that a loss of signal condition has happened?
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:31 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
That's fine. It's the FRONT side of the board that I am concerned with (between the two coils). If you put anything between those, you would be better off cutting the antenna wires off.

cut the antenna wires off if I put anything between the coils... gotcha, will do!
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:16 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
No, there is no special blinking for signal loss.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
completed a little project I've wanted to do for a while... "powersafed" my nano with a deans plug pigtail... pretty simple idea, just solder up to the servo bus. I also bolstered the bus with an extra run across the bottom of the pins... not all that needed (Jim's said the bus of the Nano is good for 30 amps or something if memory serves), but done for giggles.

...Nano now ready for plugging in giant scale servos... no regular servo plugs from the battery to be overloaded, etc etc. woot.

theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,121 Posts
Now THAT'S a mod!

Serious question about installation: most of my installs have the RX on it's "back" velcroed or double side taped to the bottom of the fuse at a 45 deg angle. But Jim's comment about not covering up the front area between the antennae have me wondering if this is best. Rationale for bottom of fuse is that this is least obstructed path through wood / covering to TX when the plane is in the air. Would I get better range with the front of the RX facing outward from the plane?

I am of course careful to locate the RX away from batteries, metal objects, wires, and all servo wires are secured and kept away from the RX as much as possible. Thx.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Mar 23, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:19 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I keep looking at the picture above and getting worried about a failure. I think I would hot glue the power wires to the circuit board to prevent flexing at the edge of the board. I just have a feeling it is going to pull the pins away from the board traces because of the extra leverage and a blob of glue should move that flex point away from the first solder joint.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Feb 2008
4 Posts
I think KM said and the pic shows he re-enforced the whole buss bar all the way thru ----- rick
vapor54 is offline Find More Posts by vapor54