HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2011, 07:48 PM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,370 Posts
No he is referring to general receiver mounting guidelines be it one or several. I am assuming that on the centreline would put the RX behind the motor in certain aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret View Post
Hi Jim,
I am really getting confused here. The above quote suggests that to improve reception (avoiding blanking), two rx are better than one when mounted in separated locations. To my recollection only a satellite setup fullfills this, not two rx in master/slave configuration
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:12 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret View Post
Hi Jim,
I am really getting confused here. The above quote suggests that to improve reception (avoiding blanking), two rx are better than one when mounted in separated locations. To my recollection only a satellite setup fullfills this, not two rx in master/slave configuration
on a giant scale plane, you typically need two nanos for the channels (one has channels 1-6, tell the next one to be channels 7-12 or whatever). So the two receivers Jim mentions is just to get the channel count, not as a satellite or whatever...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:15 PM
Joined Dec 2007
239 Posts
So can I have the RX right under the canopy, about 3 inces higher than they are now, or do I need to move them to the turtle deck?
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,746 Posts
Just up is fine. The idea is to try to change the angle in reference to the center line and transmission antenna.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:09 AM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,731 Posts
Jim,

In the Aurora 9 thread you stated "This is why our receivers reboot at 2.1v, and our next generation reboot at 1.8v." Is the next generation what is being sold now? If not, when will they be out?

Keith
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:30 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,746 Posts
The next generation will be sold later this year.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:00 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
The antenna whiskers on the Nano, should they be placed straight out like in the picture on the XPS website? Or 90 degrees to each other?
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:49 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
The antenna whiskers on the Nano, should they be placed straight out like in the picture on the XPS website? Or 90 degrees to each other?
the two whiskers form one antenna... keep 'em straight out
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:24 AM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
OK. Thanks.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:01 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,179 Posts
FWIW, I've placed these things in tiny spaces and had the whiskers at all sorts of funny angles, never an issue. But I try to keep them in line if possible.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:55 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithK View Post
Jim,

In the Aurora 9 thread you stated "This is why our receivers reboot at 2.1v, and our next generation reboot at 1.8v." Is the next generation what is being sold now? If not, when will they be out?

Keith
i realize that a low reboot voltage is a required operating parameter for brownout preventition but haven't we as a RC community been there for a while. Most if not all servos quit operating around 3.5 to 4v IIRC so what's the point to continue to develop lower and lower receiver operating voltages when the servos quit working long before 3v? Am I missing something?
GhostRider32 is offline Find More Posts by GhostRider32
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:22 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post
i realize that a low reboot voltage is a required operating parameter for brownout preventition but haven't we as a RC community been there for a while. Most if not all servos quit operating around 3.5 to 4v IIRC so what's the point to continue to develop lower and lower receiver operating voltages when the servos quit working long before 3v? Am I missing something?
protection against bigger and badder spikes in load... I also imagine it's just a thing that they can improve, so why not?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post
Yes, you are missing the fact that most servos operate down to 2.5v, which is why it was important for us to make sure our reboot voltage was well below that. Servos are following the same path that we are, trying to obtain lower and lower operating voltage because of the current loads they cause. Just like 2.4GHz radio systems, they are using microcontrollers to control them. If the voltage is too low, the servo won't function.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Yes, you are missing the fact that most servos operate down to 2.5v, which is why it was important for us to make sure our reboot voltage was well below that. Servos are following the same path that we are, trying to obtain lower and lower operating voltage because of the current loads they cause. Just like 2.4GHz radio systems, they are using microcontrollers to control them. If the voltage is too low, the servo won't function.
That's cool then. I wasn't aware that servos would operate down to 2.5v. If that's the case then it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to me though is the part where you say that servos are trying to go lower because of the current loads they cause. To me that is the exact opposite of what you want if you are trying to lower servo current. If a servo operates at 6v and draws 1 amp for a total of 6 watts then the same servo will draw approx. 2 amps at 3 volts for a total of 6 watts. Seems to me that the higher voltage one goes that the less current it draws.
GhostRider32 is offline Find More Posts by GhostRider32
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
iva
Vancouver Harbour Sp, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
I believe that current will be lower as voltage drops. Servo does not know that it needs to produce 6W of power.
The formula should be I = E/R where I is current, E is voltage and R is resistance.
iva is offline Find More Posts by iva