HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined Dec 2007
238 Posts
Discussion
Nano RX, what a truly cool product.

Just wanted to share that I really like the Nano receivers that XPS have. They are just way to handy. 2 special cases:
Case1: I took over ownership of a TF Spitfire here last week. It used 6 channels, so I was real happy to be able to use a Nano RX. The plane as an on-board glow driver, that is based off the throttle position. Well the plane turned out to be real hard to stop, as when I hit the switch to kill the motor the on-board glow was kicked in, and kept the plane running. So I debated about adding a 8 channel Rx, but instead I just re-programed a second Nano RX, and changed channel 6 to be channel 7, and plugged in the on-board glow to that channel and used one of the clicker trims on the side of my 12Z to control the fine tuning of the on-board glow. That way I can disable it when I go to kill the engine.
Case2: last fall I bought a 1/4 scale supper cub at a swap meet, the guy had built it from scratch, and it was a real nice model. for the nav lights he had painted wood dowels, and stuck in the wing tips, and also for the landing lights. My buddy said I should replace the wood dowels with LED's. So I pulled out the dowels on the wing tips, and stuck in bare LED's, and I also drilled out the landing light area, and put in LED holders from Radio shack (Nice spotlight effect). ran the wires through the wing, so they come out the same place as the Flap and Aileron plugs are. But I needed to add 2 RX controlled switches, so I could separately control the nav lights and the landing lights, but I also needed to run the LED's off a single LiIo sell to have the proper voltage. Well another Nano RX to the rescue, just re-programed it to have channel 11 and 12 be heard by that RX. I took a old futaba clear servo box.and in there I now have a Nano RX, 2 RX controlled switches, 1 LiIO cell, and an indicator LED to tell me the box is on. I added an outside toggle switch, and taped the box shut, and velcroed it to the cockpit floor of the Cub. Now I just power up that little box and the main switch for my cub, and all works great.
I am really looking forward to that new 16 channel TX, to give even more options with the Nano RX, and allow me to have all my models on one Radio at all times.
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:30 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
Thanks for your feedback.

Not only are they handy, they also offer the best range of our receiver line. Range testing has always shown us that, but it has been very difficult to believe that such a small receiver could perform so well! We have been flying these receivers in everything we can, and recently, Scott put two in his $15,000 Victory jet and showed off at CA-Jets 2011.

Here are a couple pictures of the install.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:07 PM
USA, SC, Easley
Joined Sep 2009
481 Posts
I read on the website that the 6 channel receivers do not support telemetry on the Aurora 9 module. Does that include the receiver voltage telemetry as well or just the add on telemetry sensors? Thanks
yellowbird2800 is online now Find More Posts by yellowbird2800
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:39 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird2800 View Post
I read on the website that the 6 channel receivers do not support telemetry on the Aurora 9 module. Does that include the receiver voltage telemetry as well or just the add on telemetry sensors? Thanks
Jim posted that it may send back voltage in the future, but it's a 3 gram receiver... need to drop a few things to get an awesome package that small
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
USA, SC, Easley
Joined Sep 2009
481 Posts
Thanks for the response.
yellowbird2800 is online now Find More Posts by yellowbird2800
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:16 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,932 Posts
I agree. The Nano is an incredible piece of kit in a tiny package that WORKS. I probably have ten of them in various use froman Alula HLG to a RiteWing 150mph screamer. Nary an unplanned twitch out of any of them.

I'm now in the process of outfitting an Airtronics M8 ground transmitter with an XPS module. My Mini-T that has been problematic with AM is going to be a hoot on 2.4 (finally).

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:57 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
We have several of the Mini-T's here in our office running our Nano receivers. All of our pro-level drivers (like Dylan Rodriguez) use our Nanos in their 1/8th scale buggies and such.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Dec 2007
238 Posts
Jim or Scott, in that photo of the Nano's in the Victory jet, it looks like you have soldered on the power supply for the RX so you can hook up 2 batteries one to each side of the bus. Do you have a photo that shows where to solder the + and - wires to the back of the board?
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:28 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da RC View Post
Jim or Scott, in that photo of the Nano's in the Victory jet, it looks like you have soldered on the power supply for the RX so you can hook up 2 batteries one to each side of the bus. Do you have a photo that shows where to solder the + and - wires to the back of the board?
it's just the servo bus... everything gets hooked up in parallel... so, under the board you'll see where the + and - wires of the servos are connecting, they just soldered in some battery wires into those terminals on the bus.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:49 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da RC View Post
Yes, that is what we did. We just soldered battery wires to the first + and - servo pins.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:21 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,974 Posts
Here's how cool the Nano-E is. A week ago Saturday I was flying with some friends in Ontario, CA. I wound up ditching my J-Power T-33 in a retention pond due to "dumb thumbs" (wind blew me over on final, lost orientation, then tip stalled in). By the time I had gotten to the pond, the ESC had shorted and caused a fire that had totally engulfed the electronics bay, as well as pretty much burned the plane to the top of the water.

The wrapper on the Nano was wrinkled, there are char marks on the board, and the insulation was completely burned off the antenna whiskers and the whiskers are frayed. I thought for sure my Nano was toast (literally), but decided to try it out again for giggles and grins after I got back home to Mesa.

So early last week I hooked it up to an existing power system, but took the motor out of the loop. I had the ESC and two servos plugged in. To my amazement, I got a good red light, and servo control seemed steady.

So this past weekend I decided to try it out in a plane. On Friday morning I hooked the Nano up in one of my F-22 pusher jets (my favorite plane by the way, just ask Jim and Scott ), and did a range check. More than 50 paces away with the button pushed and I still had solid control, so I decided to fly.

I think I put a total of 4 packs through that plane between Friday and Saturday, and I even took it up as high as I could see it. At about 1000' straight up, I still had full control as I was doing rolls in one second intervals.

Man these things are awesome!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:05 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
If the antenna wires are shortened it will really mess up the receiver sensitivity. That is something that we have to actually be carful of here during assembly. They should take some physical abuse, but we have never fire tested the Nanos. You are welcome to return it for new whiskers!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:30 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,974 Posts
Well, the whiskers did not get shortened, they just lost their protective insulation and the wires are frayed (I'm guessing it's stranded wire and it has simply come unwound at the ends).

I'll come see you guys at Big Jolt. But I think I'll make a video of the Nano in use beforehand.

Pat
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:51 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
LOL! OK, I look forward to the video!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:00 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,974 Posts
Here's some pics of the current state of the RX. I'll try to get some video of it flying this weekend.

Pat