HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:55 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Discussion
Got my 129 dollar ASP 91 this weekend...

So as the title says, I recieved my ASP FS 91 from Hobby King this weekend and I honestly did not know what to expect. So i took every screw excpet for the head screws out, re-stalled with locktite, sealed up the carb with some high temp RTV and put some fuel tubing on the HS needle to keep it in place better. Anyway, mounted it on my stand and it started right up. Did the progressive break in leaning it a little and got through 7 tanks.

Bottom line is I am impressed! It runs great, starts right up and will idle all day long at 1900. I adjusted the low and HS needles and the transition is good...it spools up slower than a Saito and that is about the only difference I could tell. In any case, with a 14x6 MAS K series prop I peaked out at 10,500 and I dialed it back for WOT at 9600-9800 rpms until I get more time on it. Very happy!
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:09 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Sounds great. I've been thinking about getting one of those are saito/OS 4 bangers are a bit much $$
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:17 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarArmy View Post
Sounds great. I've been thinking about getting one of those are saito/OS 4 bangers are a bit much $$
Honestly, only time will tell but for129 bucks, it is a steal......I would get another one if this one holds up. Running wise it has not shown any signs of cutting out or anything else for that matter. Once it goes in my aeroworks extra 300, we will see how she does
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:31 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,691 Posts
Been using Maggie 91s for years, great engines. All the difference is the name on the side.

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip01 View Post
Been using Maggie 91s for years, great engines. All the difference is the name on the side.

Chip
Good to hear
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:15 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,607 Posts
Still a good deal but when I add$30 shipping it comes out to $159.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:24 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Still a good deal but when I add$30 shipping it comes out to $159.
Yes, true, lol.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:29 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Yes, true, lol.

That's why I buy the Magnum version most of the time. The difference in price is leveled out by the difference in shipping, plus I have a warranty that I will use and immediate parts availability.

When Hobby King gets their US warehouse up to speed in stocking all of their products, then they might give Hobby People (Magnum) something to worry about.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:19 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan View Post
That's why I buy the Magnum version most of the time. The difference in price is leveled out by the difference in shipping, plus I have a warranty that I will use and immediate parts availability.

When Hobby King gets their US warehouse up to speed in stocking all of their products, then they might give Hobby People (Magnum) something to worry about.

Ed Cregger

Good points...If I get another ASP/Magnum I will probably go that route...although HK does have parts for these as well. I got my engine delivered in a weeks time too!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:58 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,918 Posts
HK has parts for them............but most are "backorder"
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:50 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Oh and for the record, the ASP doesn't really come with a manual....it is very basic. After reading the Magnum manual, I pretty much broke mine in using what they said not to, lol. I used strictly cool power 15% nitro and have 8 tanks through it. Started rich with 4000 rpm runs and worked my way up to WOT leaning it out a bit every run (letting it cool of course). No issues at all, compression came way up. It idles perfect at 2000-2100 and peaks around 9600 with an APC 14x 6 prop.....the MAS K series pulled more RPM oddly enough but it seems the APC is quieter and has more thrust. It is safely rich at 9200 with the APC and the last tank I let it sit there at WOT for at least 5 minutes. Transition is good....not great like a Saito but good. Best of all the engine just never quits running which is a nice thing.
Old May 23, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Oct 2010
19 Posts
hello i have purchased a asp fs 91 and was wondering how to break it in
thank you
lasercyclist is offline Find More Posts by lasercyclist
Old May 23, 2011, 03:07 PM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,691 Posts
Using Cool Power is maybe why it does not spool up like an OS. I would recommend a blend fuel with some Castor in the mix just like Mangun says to do. I think you have made a serious mistake but its your engine and you can do what you want with it.

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old May 23, 2011, 03:15 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip01 View Post
Using Cool Power is maybe why it does not spool up like an OS. I would recommend a blend fuel with some Castor in the mix just like Mangun says to do. I think you have made a serious mistake but its your engine and you can do what you want with it.

Chip
Oh don't get me wrong..it runs PERFECT! I just notice the throttle response is not quite as "fast" as a Saito with the same fuel....it is by no means bad.

I swear by cool power and run it in all my 4 strokes without issue.....synthetic is just fine as long as it is not run lean by accident (which is not something I would do anyway). Time will tell.
Old May 23, 2011, 05:44 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I brought the ASP 120 4-stroke from HobbyKing (about $169 without postage, I think) and, like you, was happily surprised by how good the engine seems to be. It is easy to start with just my normal electric starter and has been reliable from day one. It's got plenty of torque to swing a big prop and sounds pretty good with the stock exhaust. I've probably got 10 hours air time on it. It's been on 3 planes (I had to take the choke assembly off to get it to fit into my third plane (Black Horse Stuka), but it starts fine without any choke.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot