HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
Engine box will be too big for a 4.75 / 4.75 prop will not be efficient at all, better try a 5.5 prop.
alcarafa is offline Find More Posts by alcarafa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:50 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Righteo no worries guys, thanks a lot for the advice. I was planning to contour the engine box so it has a bit less drag but I'll definitely swap out to a 5x3 prop for the maiden... the only other suitable props I have are some 6x4's and they would probably be too much for my little .049 to swing comfortably.

News is that the engine is now mounted at 90' to the vertical and is plumbed in. More updates when I fly the thing.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:15 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
615 Posts
Howdy I have a couple of TT 10 lying around . Would an increased wingspan version be suitable and if so what W.S. would that be ? Thanks the pope
the pope is offline Find More Posts by the pope
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:50 AM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
Pope - I bet if you blew up the plans so that you'd have a 10" chord, and a 36" span, it'd be just right for a .10. As a matter of fact, I think it's a great idea - do let us know how you make out!
ProBroJoe is offline Find More Posts by ProBroJoe
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Mr.ProBroJoe,thanks for the cool vid.The e-power vids do nothing for me. Always looking for something new to try out. This goes out to all that have posted here. Can I use my Sig Hummer wing plan sheet to come up with my own version of a combat wing,if you guys think I need to try a all ready proven wing design please point me in the right direction. Thanks to all for your time. Frank
Nocturnal Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Nocturnal Flyer
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
If you like speed try the motor in the link, you'll be easy flying at more the 120mhp a real challenge to control , use a 4.75 / 4.25 apc prop and 60 amps esc.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7993
Last edited by alcarafa; Jun 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:42 AM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
Hey Frank, truth be told, the e-power stuff doesn't do much for me - I just did it so I could say that the designed flew on both power types. The original was by far the funnest on the Norvel .061 AME!

There's no reason you couldn't use the hummer wing plan to build a flying wing, but it'll probably have too much additional structure. If you would like some pointers on flying wings in general, check out the thread that started my foray into flying wings: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...tm.htm#9304054
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:27 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love the e-stuff - its all I have at the moment - but it'll be nice to unleash the blood-and-thunder nitro powered gear. I'm a bit of an amateur mechanic, my pride and joy at the moment is a Honda XR600R with a few choice engine modifications. No way I'll ever go electric with vehicles so long as theres still fuel around!

Planes... its a different matter. I generally fly in town - sportsfields and so on - and the convenience and quietness of electric is a big bonus. While I might want to get some nitro planes up occasionally, that'd best be left for the dedicated flying fields out of town. You can also make very small planes fairly easily - I'm working on an 18" flying wing now, too.

On the motor you mentioned Alcarafa, its not the sort of thing I usually go for. It needs a fair bit of current on 4-cell lipo packs to push out good numbers, which means your aircraft is most likely going to be heavy as a result. Minimal powertrain (2200mAh 4s 20c) plus flight control gear would weigh in at around 12oz/340g... add a 32" wing with enough structure to withstand the speed and it'd be around the 1lb/450g mark. Not enormously heavy but you might have some CG problems if you aren't careful.

ProBroJoe - Thanks for the link to that thread, makes for some interesting reading. Nice to see where your wing design came from. If anyone is after another easy-build symetrical wing then I reckon I could knock one out in the vein of one I built recently. as part of a 3D plane. Very floaty but a lot of fun.

Haven't maidened the KKid yet - still finishing elevons & linkages - but heres a picture:

Cheers - boingk
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
On the motor you mentioned Alcarafa, its not the sort of thing I usually go for. It needs a fair bit of current on 4-cell lipo packs to push out good numbers, which means your aircraft is most likely going to be heavy as a result. Minimal powertrain (2200mAh 4s 20c) plus flight control gear would weigh in at around 12oz/340g... add a 32" wing with enough structure to withstand the speed and it'd be around the 1lb/450g mark. Not enormously heavy but you might have some CG problems if you aren't careful.
I fly a similar combat wing with that motor and 3 cell 1300 mah lipo it gives around 5 minutes fly, plenty of time to enjoy high speed maneouvers, the difference is wing made of foam and planked with 1/16 balsa, weight is no big issue building it this way.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Ahhh... righteo. I've never heard of a foam wing with balsa before. What prop are you running on that setup? It'd need to be fairly pitchy to be fast. The 'fast' setup for me at the moment is a Hextronik 3000kv outrunner with 4.75x4.75 prop on 3-cell. It really rips up the skies in my foamboard F-22. 120mph pitch speed and probably 80~90mph real life.

Anywho I'm gonna try and get this wing working. I'm thinking of using electric power before going nitro to work out any bugs it has, partly because I'll be able to maiden it in town, too.

Cheers - boingk
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:02 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Righteo guys, made a fair bit of progress and decided to go electric after all. It suits my regular flying locales a lot better as they're in town in large, quiet parks. Heres the maiden flight:

Flying Wing Maiden Flight - The 'Kombat Kid' (3 min 5 sec)

I start getting into a groove at about 1:20 and realise there is something wrong at around 2:45, then land as best I can. The 'something wrong' turned out to be a dead servo, leaving me with very skewed handling indeed! The resulting poor landing cracked the motor box a bit and I reglued and reinforced with scrap balsa strips.

Following the flight above I've flown about half a dozen packs through it and also added some more detailing to help with orientation. Heres how it looks now:

The black parts are just drawn on with a permenant marker and the white stripes on the wing and square on the motor box are done using an automotive oil-paint pen.

Since replacing the dead servo, I've started trying to trim mechanically for neutral flying without transmitter trim. This has proven to be somewhat of an effort and may require fitting a matching servo to replace the one still remaining from the original build - although the new one is equivalently specified, I think it may differ in speed and throw slightly and is causing some trimming problems.

Anywho, thats it! Its flying! I'll post another video once the bugs are worked out.

Cheers - boingk
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:46 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
Whoa, do ya think you have a enough elevon area on that thing? Just kidding, I like it - she's a beauty! Looks like you have a bit of "reserve power" there as the launch was pretty authoritative even at part throttle! I'm curious, what are you using for a power system? I understand why you went with the e-power, I'm just afraid that if you ever stick that Sure Start on there, you're going to be a bit disappointed unless you hop up that SureStart a bit or swap it out for a TD.

Oh yea, you may find it a bit easier to launch with the underhand technique - palm up and thumb on top of wing. (You can see me do that here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0OVT-gNxE )

Anyway, it's good to see you're having fun with it and congrats! I'll be looking forward to the next installment!

-Joe
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:58 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Joe, means a lot as this is both my first scratchbuild and first flying wing. I've also changed my launch technique to holding the underside of the motor box and throwing forwards in a pitching motion, seems to work well.

The power system is all low budget Hobbyking gear. Motor is a Hextronic 24g 1700kv outrunner, ESC a 15A HK Super Simple, and prop a GWS HD 8x4 cut down to 6x4. It only draws around 8.5A on 3-cell but is a good combo for both thrust and reasonable speed. The maiden video was using an undoctored 8x4 and I've got some 8x6's on order to cut down to 6x6 for some more speed. I really like the GWS HD series because they are easy to cut down without having to mess with tip profiles or airfoils and so on.

Video of a crash coming soon, got it on wingtip cam so should be interesting.

Cheers - boingk
Last edited by boingk; Jul 03, 2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Poor spelling due to cruddy smartphone.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:32 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
She's still alive and kicking! After the dual-electric conversion I did I decided to go nitro with the engine this wing was originally designed for - the Cox .049 'SureStart'. 1oz Sullivan tank, APC 6x4 prop doctored to about 4.75x4 and an 18% nitro mix with plenty of castor sees her flying around pretty well.

Cheers - boingk
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:31 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
Nice!!! Now where's the video?