HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:28 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Discussion
DJI AceOne flight system 1st scale build- JayHwak, Huey

Kin and I started a build on his Jayhawk using DJI Ace One .....

We spent an afternoon installing the system and took a few test flights. But, Kin's radio was acting up, so he will have to do more work this week.

Huey 800 size is next .........

Both using tail motors, while the Huey is direct drive.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Last edited by sidneyw; Apr 17, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:34 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
This is going to be very interesting...looking forward to it!
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:04 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Should be ready for 1st flight today .....

The other photo was taken; bunch of software and hardware engineers playing with auto take off and landing using laptop keyboard. Kin's fingers were on the keyboard, the cowboy.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:47 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Test flight at night ......

DJI GPS in night flight (6 min 59 sec)

Kin, you were in GPS ATT mode with green led, Purple color is GPS auto mode.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by sidneyw; Apr 24, 2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:05 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Kin, you were in GPS ATT mode with green led, Purple color is GPS auto mode.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:47 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
That's some really cool stuff! . Can we get a video of the heli is a bit of wind? I'd like to see how it maintains position while the wind is trying to carry it elsewhere
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:51 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Oh, my bad ... green is auto mode.

Sideways, under 25 mph wind is fine. I am sure Kin will do just that for you.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:57 PM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,186 Posts
Hey !I am here ! the first feeling in this GPS is ! "I am no need learn more in the helicopter " It is extremely stable and safty ! especial you have no exprience in flybarless and multi blades head ! it let you feel it is a small toys "walkera toys simple " even you are a beginner " .I have try the DJI other set autopilot system in windy condition , it still stick in the air (like a photo)! For my 800 size seahawk w/4 blades head ,when i have feel windy about 5-10 km , it only move slow and it recover hovering well within 1 meter only . it recover the position very fast ! The video have show that i have not enough power (too lower stick) , it down very straight and very near by the ground , but still in same position, so after this first night fly and 100% love this system .i can say ! no more worry about your helicopter is how high value , it can 100% protect your wallet ,especial your heli is expensive jet models or the super scale models for competition grade .it is only one chance damage the models .(dead engines) . otherwise it is 100% safty . My personal commen : easy to fly and learn helicopter ,very good in flying-cam and working ,never afraid if you are new in flybarless with mutli-blades head .I give DJI 100 point !!!!!They are winner !
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
If you are hot shot pilot, you can still fly in manual mode which is better than V-bar. Flip the switch when you want to take a few seconds rest. Or, do some 3D moves.
Site Sponsor
Old May 09, 2011, 01:29 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
can't resolve the vibration in the Huey, will take the heli to Kin tomorrow to sort out the vibration issue.

At the mean time ---- Ace One new Way Point system testing; auto take off/landing.

DJI Ace One Waypoint Feature-Auto TakeOff & Landing Test (3 min 18 sec)
Site Sponsor
Last edited by sidneyw; May 09, 2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old May 09, 2011, 10:38 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
Pretty neat, I guess you do need marker lights when going out on a mission that far autonomously, lol. That thing runs on a flybar head?
Old May 09, 2011, 06:12 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Pretty neat, I guess you do need marker lights when going out on a mission that far autonomously, lol. That thing runs on a flybar head?
Yes, the larger 800 class AP rigs still run on flybar. Other non-AP birds, half FBL and the other Flybarred.

Once out of tx/rx range, it goes fail-safe and flys itself according to way-points given. It is always a sign of relief to see the heli in a distance returning home.
Site Sponsor
Old May 10, 2011, 07:16 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Finally figured out the vibration after 6 hours of screwing around. Thanks to Kin's great support. The Huey at last flew for a few minutes before it got dark.

The major issue was my mis-read the motor kv. Thought it was 1220kv, instead it was 760kv. Never have had the rotor above 1,000 rpm right at the vibration frequency.
Site Sponsor
Old May 20, 2011, 12:17 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
With the vib issue behind I now have a new one ..... the motor driven tail is not holding the way it should. So, I am having Doctor Kin coming over next week.

At the mean time, we were playing with a new stab system for scale helicopter. Lower price point it has all you need for scale flying, and things you don't need such as totally autonomous flight, auto take off/landing.

But, it may come with a mode for the rusty thumbs (not flown for awhile), an assisted take off an landing feature. Yes, we are still debating the approach.

While we are waiting, here is a short vid of TFModel Cobra with DJI system (still unknown).

DJI WooKong Stabilization for Scale Cobra 600 (4 min 50 sec)
Site Sponsor