HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,294 Posts
Discussion
Go pro with zoom lens?

Has anyone tried this zoom lens on a Gopro? It uses the same thread size.

http://www.m12lenses.com/2-8-12mm-F1...pt-02812as.htm
milo12 is offline Find More Posts by milo12
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:35 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,691 Posts
That's interesting, how do you mount it to the GoPro?

Do you know the focal length of the stock GoPro lens? I think the Sunex lens is 2.8, which really exacerbates any vibration, you'd have to have an incredibly smooth flying craft to use a lens at 12mm on the GoPro.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,294 Posts
The original lens is 1.7mm and the Sunex lens is 4.2mm. It threads on just like the stock lens. I have a board camera coming and will test it on that before I tear into my GoPro.

My plan is to have a board camera (fixed) and the gopro (on tilt/pan) with a video switch between them. I have the option to use the board camera for fpv and use the video switch to look at the gopro image to check framing and zoom.
milo12 is offline Find More Posts by milo12
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
2.8-12mm, F1.6 M12 Mount, DC Iris CCTV Lens

Hey did this lens work with your gopro? I want a lens with a narrow field of view that can zoom and focus. Let me know and I hope it did!

thanks
ragdoll.hola is offline Find More Posts by ragdoll.hola
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:48 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
I think it is all of it. The sensor is definitely out. When I was playing with the focus with the stock lens. I can focus it perfectly from a TV with the guts out. Then when I put everything back in the camera case the focus is out. So that meant tightening the screws on the circuit board makes a difference on the focus. Too bad I cannot isolate which screw makes a difference. It seems that the entire case pressing on the circuit board makes a difference.

I had a hard time re-threading the stock lens because of the gunk they put on the thread. I had to use an Exacto knife to clean the garbage off slowly. The Sunex threaded on just fine and it is smooth all the way. So that should not be a problem.

Regards,
Peter Langone
langone_peter is offline Find More Posts by langone_peter
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:36 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,129 Posts
I had my gopro fitted with Fat Shark 3.6mm lens.
FlyingMcCoy is online now Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:25 AM
Joined Jul 2010
75 Posts
Did you not get vignetting FlyingMcCoy?
cinemacell is offline Find More Posts by cinemacell
Old Aug 25, 2011, 02:03 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemacell View Post
Did you not get vignetting FlyingMcCoy?
Yes, a bit on R3. R4 is useless. R5 is perfect.
FlyingMcCoy is online now Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:46 AM
Joined Jul 2010
75 Posts
Does anyone know of a good replacement for the stock lens?

I'm looking for something that is very very similar if not exactly like the stock lens.

I liked the quality and FOV of my stock lens and do not mind the fisheye distortion.

Cracked mine accidentally.

Emailed gopro and they just replied that the stock lens is not removable - meaning they won't sell you the lens separately (there have been quite a few cases like these I've read on other forums).

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

It's really a big bummer and perhaps a deal breaker that GoPro does not sell this lens separately.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Jul 2010
75 Posts
So I got another response from GoPro.

They stated that they do not have spare lenses to sell and would not sell them as it won't be calibrated correctly during installation (or something to that effect).

They suggested that I send my perfectly working camera (apart from the broken lens) in exchange for a 20% discount on any product on their website.

I don't know about you - but I do not agree with this. Yes 20% off is a good gesture but in exchange for a perfectly working camera? Which if they replace the lens on it would be good as new (apart from some cosmetic issues).

A typical sunnex lens - the non-distortion lens of choice by some AP'ers - if bought through RMRC costs a mere USD49 + shipping. So one would think that a lens similar to the stock lens of the GoPro would be no more than a hundred dollars.

This sure beats paying $200++ dollars plus shipping for a new GoPro - especially when considering that all it needs is a new lens.

I'll continue searching for a similar stock lens for my GoPro - but my next small sports cam will NOT be a gopro anymore. And I would advice anyone thinking of getting this camera about the lens replacement issue.

I appreciate the offer of GOPRO and that is admirable of them to do so - but 20% discount in exchange for a working product merely in need of a new lens is simply not acceptable (and feels like a ripoff).

There are many other stories out there similar to mine - some whose gopro units are only a few days old and have gotten the same response from this company.

With the nature of the arena that the camera is intended for, one would think that every part of the camera should be replaceable most especially the lens.

It makes me wonder why they won't sell you these separately.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:00 PM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
442 Posts
because they WANT you to buy a whole new camera. ($$$$$)

I have the same issue, a very small "nick" off to the side of the lens. You can hardly tell in the photos, but when you know what you are looking for, my eyes go right to the very slightly blurred spot right away. Drives me crazy. The kicker is, I have no idea how it happened. It's always in the outer case, except when downloading photos, but then it just sits next to the computer. One person on here had suggested taking it to a real camera shop, or perhaps a jeweler, to see if it could be "buffed out". Thinking of trying it, but would hate to screw it up worse.

Someone should start making an aftermarket lens for these things, they'd make a mint.

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:39 PM
Joined Jul 2010
75 Posts
200++ plus shipping for the stock lens of the GOPRO is quite ridiculous.

Since they're asking you to return your perfectly working unit in exchange for a 20% discount this is pretty much what is happening.

And for me the 20% discount is pretty much nullified since I'd have to pay to ship the unit back to GoPro, and I don't live in the US.

So that would be shipping unit to the us, plus 200++ for the unit, plus shipping, plus customs tax.

It's totally ridiculous.

Buyers need to be aware of this.

ContourHD with their low pricing right now at 138 + Shipping sounds mighty good right now.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:32 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Aug 2007
650 Posts
I'd sell you a stock lens for $60...
MauiNate is offline Find More Posts by MauiNate
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,854 Posts
Quote:
With the nature of the arena that the camera is intended for, one would think that every part of the camera should be replaceable most especially the lens.

It makes me wonder why they won't sell you these separately.
Quote:
because they WANT you to buy a whole new camera. ($$$$$)
Someone should start making an aftermarket lens for these things, they'd make a mint.
Rishelman
Actually,the intended use is encased in it's protective tomb.
As for not selling the lens,that's an extremely simple answer,GoPro prolly does not have any appreciable technical facilities here in the states.Ergo,no repairs & no spares.These cameras are built in China.
As common as cameras go we need to remember these are near instrument level gizmos that require due diligence and care.
That said cinemacell/Rishelman I due sympathize and offer a solution.
Not long ago I came upon a lengthy thread about swapping lenses (to eliminate the GoPro fisheye effect).
To my amazement there are 1000's of 12mm form factor lenses being mfg.And even more amazing are the multitude of specifications.And there are compatible replacements which can be swapped in an evening of delicate handiwork.Simple work, but indeed delicate on a few very important points.
Check the other GoPro threads for lens replacement or fisheye.I even found some links to other sporting sites that discuss the GoPro also.
Might even find someone to hire the work out to.
HTH
Skies.
Jay
P.S. Buffing out a lens changes the lens characteristics and if the 'defect' produces visible effects,is not an option.IMO.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Last edited by AirBornOne; Aug 27, 2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:26 AM
Joined Jul 2010
75 Posts
@MauiNate
I might take you up on that offer. I've ordered a couple of lenses and will try that out first - if non of them pan out I'll be contacting you. Cheers.

@Airborne
You are correct: the intended use is to have it in its' casing.

Although there are posts on other forums of cameras accidentally falling to the ground lens first when they go to change SD cards, charge the batteries, plug the camera to the computer and a multitude of other instances where you would need to take the unit out of its stock protective casing.

The lens can be replaced by other lenses - most notably the sunnex lens which if you did not want the fisheye look is apparently the ideal lens to do it with. However I do like the FOV of the original lens and do not mind the distortion.

You can replace it with other small form camera lenses such, as those that come with security cameras, but you get vignetting and lens glass quality issues become apparent. I'm currently doing this at the moment and it really makes me want to get the stock lens.

At any rate I've ordered a few lenses and will see if any of them are a good if not a better replacement for the stock lens.

Will post my findings here.