HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2005
776 Posts
Discussion
FY21AP saved my plane yesterday! Anyone have an idea what happened to my RC link?

See video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGqS2qYOJ2k

Text version: Total loss of RC link (futaba fasst) to plane at less than 400 meters. Still not really sure what happened. Maybe some of you have an idea? Full comments of what happened are in the video as well as my setup.

A few comments NOT in the video. I had a futaba 10c connected via trainer cable to my 14MZ in student mode meaning that if i held up my trainer switch i could pass control to my spotter who had visual contact (at most times) with the plane. Not sure if this would have been a contributing factor but cant imagine that it should.
AnnihilaT is offline Find More Posts by AnnihilaT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:43 PM
Joined Apr 2005
776 Posts
PS. Does anyone know how to use these GPS coords in google maps ?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:05 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
My guess is that the FASST clone Rx is somehow to fault.
1. it's known to not be as resistant to Rf noise as the genuine Futaba Rx
2. There's a known quirk where it can fail to re-acquire the signal in the presence of noise.
FrSky FASST compatible receiver vs Genuine Futaba receiver test #1 (1 min 16 sec)

People draw a lot of bogus conclusions from the video like "So don't turn your Tx off
and on" but that's no different than simply losing the signal in the air for whatever
reason (can happen with FPV due to external Rf noise, or blocking the signal with
your body.. etc) and it having to re-acquire. Apparently the clone Rx is bad
at re-acquiring.

BTW, I think I see why you lost the signal in the first place. Right at the start
it looks like when the plane is pointed at you, it's facing east (101 degrees), you're
sitting facing west. At about the time you lose control, the plane was 400+m to the
East (home was at 260 degrees), which put the plane *directly* behind your bodies.
2.4Ghz control is easily blocked by your body.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Apr 16, 2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Directions backwards..
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:14 PM
Joined Apr 2005
776 Posts
thanks ALOT for that video. That appears to duplicate what happened to me. I suspect also that i had just flown over high voltage power lines sometime around when i lost control. Im not sure if this kind of noise is relevant tho... I guess its time to put the new 14 channel futaba RX in there in place of the orangerx. Had plans to do so but hadnt gotten around to it and certainly didnt expect issues under 1 KM with the orangeRX. Live and learn and thanks to a working autopilot. I had just set up F/S on the throttle before that flight. I had delayed doing it until then because i consider it a bit sketchy to have your fail over behaviour be half open throttle - especially when still bench testing. So glad i remembered to do it at the field that day.