HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Glider tow hook

Hello, hope some of you folk can help.

I'm looking to install a tow hook for high starts, I've searched the web but i'm not getting many hits. Ideally i would like it to be moveable so i can adjust the C of G once final trims are done etc. Does anyone know of where i can get one? The only ones that are coming up are basic and you can't adjust them. I'm not adverse to abit of home engineering so if anyone has any homemade designs i'd happily have a go.

Thanks in advance.

James.
Banksy is offline Find More Posts by Banksy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
21 Posts
Tow hook

Kennedycomposites.com ($15)
DOWN WIND JIM is offline Find More Posts by DOWN WIND JIM
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, don't suppose you would know if they'll post to the UK? Had a look at their site for shipping terms but can't find anything.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:13 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,056 Posts
Cup hooks

Banksy,
My favourite solution is a modified cup hook from the hardware shop. The ones with a screw on one end, then straight bit to a right angled bend. The straight bit is too long, so I line a packet of them up between two bits of scrap ply or hard balsa with just enough inside the sandwich (say 5mm) to form the vertical straight bit of my hook. Then squash the sandwich in a vice with the excess straight bits sticking up vertically and hammer them all over flat to one side. Pick a length for the horizontal part of your hooks, then cut off the excess with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Tidy up the cut ends and all done - four or five strong, cheap hooks.
For the adjustable part, drill a row of holes around 5mm apart in the belly of your sailplane (you need a wood block inside to take the screw thread) and screw your hook into the recommended position. Relocate as required.
Sorry about lotsa words, but I don't have pictures handy. However, I'll see if some nice person (perhaps Lincoln) can add a neat sketch a few posts down the page!
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is online now Find More Posts by Petem
Last edited by Petem; Apr 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: 'm' added, and thanks to Lincoln!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:18 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,685 Posts
Here you go mate-

Same unit as Kennedy sells, but in the UK

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...table-tow-hook
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:37 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Here you go mate-

Same unit as Kennedy sells, but in the UK

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...table-tow-hook
Unfortunately, the website says out of stock, delivery in 30-90 days. I'm pretty sure KC would ship something like that to the UK. Send them an e-mail and just ask.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:41 PM
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,373 Posts
I used to make my own with just a drill and a file.
Iposted it somewhere here long time ago but I can't find them now. I'll keep looking if not, I'll see if I can find one and take few pics of it...
Fernando
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:03 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,685 Posts
http://www.acemodel.co.uk/index.php

These guys may have one also.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:49 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,101 Posts
I've been doing this for years. Works just fine. Less weight and drag than most other tow hooks, though a fairing around the vertical part might be worthwhile. I know the sketch is terrible, but I think it gets the idea across. The wood block inside needs to be strong, and to resist splitting. Aircraft ply is pretty good. I use these even on 3M gliders, though of course the larger the glider, the larger the cup hook I use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
Banksy,
My favourite solution is a modified cup hook from the hardware shop. The ones with a screw on one end, then straight bit to a right angled bend. The straight bit is too long, so I line a packet of them up between two bits of scrap ply or hard balsa with just enough inside the sandwich (say 5mm) to form the vertical straight bit of my hook. Then squash the sandwich in a vice with the excess straight bits sticking up vertically and hammer the all over flat to one side. Pick a length for the horizontal part of your hooks, then cut off the excess with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Tidy up the cut ends and all done - four or five strong, cheap hooks.
For the adjustable part, drill a row of holes around 5mm apart in the belly of your sailplane (you need a wood block inside to take the screw thread) and screw your hook into the recommended position. Relocate as required.
Sorry about lotsa words, but I don't have pictures handy.
Cheers,
PeteM
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:36 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,726 Posts
I sell two types of tow hooks.

www.isthmusmodels.com

Look under Accessories.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:47 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,612 Posts
I also sell tow hooks.

www.mmglidertech.com

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:42 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,450 Posts
The one at Isthums and Kennedy are both adjustable and would be great adjustable hooks for 2-4 meter gliders.

http://www.isthmusmodels.com/accesso...yloom-detail11

http://www.kennedycomposites.com/misc.htm#
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Woah, thanks for all the advice and comments, this is a cool and welcoming forum to the new guy. I've managed to source a hook from ebay (along with other various gizmos, the missus will kill me). Hopefully I should get out for my maiden this weekend, weather depending.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:44 PM
dumbthumb
World's Ass - Chile
Joined Dec 2004
357 Posts
I also want one of these for a 2mts glider, which is lighter?
aleXtino is offline Find More Posts by aleXtino