HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2011, 11:37 PM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2008
146 Posts
NAC few questions.

Nac what prop are you using. What size servo extensions. What would you say the CG is.

thanks
unlvace is offline Find More Posts by unlvace
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2011, 12:08 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvace View Post
Nac what prop are you using. What size servo extensions. What would you say the CG is.

thanks
I tried a few 13x4, 12x6e and 13x6. In end I am sticking with 12x6e.
I get better flight times and speed. The climb rate is slow. But I am using this plane for down low stuff anyway.

I think my extensions are 30cm. And my CG is around 12 to 13cm.
nac is online now Find More Posts by nac
Old May 07, 2011, 02:37 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Nac I know you've been hit with a few Qs here, but do you know how much current your motor/prop combo is drawing?

My mate will be running the same motor and prop and we're just not sure if his 40a TGY Plush will be up to it..?
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old May 07, 2011, 04:58 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blxpy View Post
Nac I know you've been hit with a few Qs here, but do you know how much current your motor/prop combo is drawing?

My mate will be running the same motor and prop and we're just not sure if his 40a TGY Plush will be up to it..?
I did some bench tests and with the 12x6 it drew 41A and with the 13x4 it drew 39A. I am also running a 40A plush, no problems at all.
Old May 07, 2011, 05:27 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
For others building these planes here are a few findings that you may like to address:-

- The little wood tab at the front of the canopy has come loose on mine, so I have added extra glue from the inside to secure it.

- As the fields that we fly at are not very smooth (and a few bad landings!), the landing gear has become a bit loose. The wood slot where the wire slots into has cracked a bit. So I just used some polyurethane glue in the slot and secured the gear permanently.

These are both very easy fixes and only take a few minutes to do.
Yep, the landing gear mount setup is not tough enough for me. I eventually broke it today after earlier having the landing gear come out of the slot during knife edge spins and get chopped a little by the propeller . I am strengthening the mount area by packing solid EPP behind the wood mount back about 6cm down the fuselage and I will permanently mount the landing gear in the slot after filling it with polyurethane glue.

I'll add some extra glue onto the canopy front wood tab as a precaution since nac's one came loose.

Nac and I got enough footage today for several videos. I did a lazy edit on the first video by taking uncut footage of an entire 5 minute flight and just adding some titles and music. I'm uploading it to Vimeo right now. I'll post a link once it's done.

I sent some footage to nac so he'll likely make a video from it and I still have about 5 minutes of footage that I will cut into a shorter video when I get the time. We figured that we should get some video so that we can eventually post some evidence to support the bold claims we're making about this fantastic plane .

EDIT: here's the first video; 5 minutes of continuous flying from takeoff to a very interesting landing .

Skywing 48" MXS EPP - The best foamy I've ever flown (5 min 53 sec)
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; May 07, 2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Added video link
Old May 07, 2011, 07:11 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
DUDE!! That was one of the most enjoyable 3D vids I've seen ever!

Awesome flying and camera work. Sound track really suits. Landing... WOOT!!

Seriously good stuff fellas - great job!
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old May 07, 2011, 08:34 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blxpy View Post
DUDE!! That was one of the most enjoyable 3D vids I've seen ever!

Awesome flying and camera work. Sound track really suits. Landing... WOOT!!

Seriously good stuff fellas - great job!

I agree, that was one of the best videos I've seen here.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old May 07, 2011, 08:55 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
groovejet and nac, again, awesome video! both the flying and the footage! I always look forward to your videos.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old May 07, 2011, 09:19 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Thanks and a little bit more.

Thanks for all the +ve comments.

Here is another short clip:-

Skywing MXS #2.mov (1 min 43 sec)
Old May 07, 2011, 09:39 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,699 Posts
Nac, I notice you aren't using the SFG's. Have you flown it with them and can you tell any difference in flight? I agree on the videos, great job guys. Unedited vids are great, shows the planes true potential IMO.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old May 07, 2011, 09:39 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,968 Posts
Wow, I am impressed guy's, both with the flying and the plane. Can definitely see the difference with the sfg's, I would definitely put them on. I have some 25c 1800mah packs just looking for a home and you definitely have me thinking hard about this one. Can you tell me how many amps this is pulling with your setup so I can tell if these batts will handle the load? It is a sweet looking plane, have you tried it in much wind yet? I kind of need a windy day flyer, the other plane I have my eye on is good in the wind and flies awsome, but I like the full fuse on this one and it seems to carry a good bit of inertia so it tumbles pretty good. This plane looks like it really does fly very close to what a balsa feels like, is this your feeling about it as well? In the video it looks like it flies close to what my VR-1 flies like.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old May 07, 2011, 09:51 AM
memphis
Joined Jan 2003
434 Posts
nevermind
TERMAGATOR is offline Find More Posts by TERMAGATOR
Last edited by TERMAGATOR; May 07, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old May 07, 2011, 10:28 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
I was just going to order one of these but I ran into sticker shock. Between the cost of the plane+shipping, servos, motor, a few batteries, etc. it's closing in on $300 and I've been debating getting the eflite Cabon-Z YAK which is $299, decisions, decisions.....
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old May 07, 2011, 11:34 AM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
My last order for a friend yak 54 + all eletronic from HK came in just over $200, not thing fanny but works well.Buddy of mine have one Eflite Cabon-Z YAK it bigger chunkier,fastter,harder to fly, and it not as fun as those Skywing EPP, I can fly mine low slow down to the ground do more stuffs you won't do with other, it just a fun plane to fly no worry.just my opinion.
cheer.
Note:Nac and Groove, allways entertening to wacth your guys flying. Thankz.
Matk
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Old May 07, 2011, 05:49 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Thanks again for the comments....

I tried the plane both with and without SFG's. It is a little more stable in harrier with them but more challenging without them.
Hard to tell but the roll rate may be a tad slower with them on.
I suggest try them out, if you decide to leave them on then use longer screws and a little glue to keep them on.

I think the 25c 1800mah packs should be fine current wise, I am using 20C 2200's and getting 6min flights easily.
Flight time might be a little shorter perhaps but then the plane will be a bit lighter.
Last edited by nac; May 07, 2011 at 05:54 PM.