SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:52 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Definitely glue the landing gear in place with polyurethane glue, after coating all the wood around the landing gear slot. If you do that, the landing gear mount will be virtually bombproof. If you don't do that, you'll likely break the wood on a hard landing and end up having to repair it anyway.
Thanks Groove. Appreciate the advise. Nice video by the way. Amazing how clear the iPhone's vid cam is
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:18 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc View Post
Nice flying.

MXS ready for wife's maiden. Setup reduced throws and lots of expo for my wife's buddied DX6i.

motrolfly 2815-950 on 13x6.5 Vox with fresh TP lipo - WOT at around 55amps. ZTW 50A speedie holding up real well - just warm after a static 30s run from 45-55amp continuous.

Should be a fun weekend.
Nice! Should take you to the moon in no time
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:37 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Nice flying.

MXS ready for wife's maiden. Setup reduced throws and lots of expo for my wife's buddied DX6i.

motrolfly 2815-950 on 13x6.5 Vox with fresh TP lipo - WOT at around 55amps. ZTW 50A speedie holding up real well - just warm after a static 30s run from 45-55amp continuous.

Should be a fun weekend.
Have you tossed it on the scales with the intended lipo yet?
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:09 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
Nice! Should take you to the moon in no time
Love the sound on vox props.. Even static ground testing, it's feceivingly silent, until about 80+% throttle...

4kmh winds in pp tomorrow..
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:24 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Have you tossed it on the scales with the intended lipo yet?
Thanks for the reminder.. ok using what I have that's up to spec...

TP 2250mah 65/130C - 1131g AUW.

The billowy from hicountry, 2650mah 50C (on the way) is about 20g heavier, so around 1150g AUW but should give a couple of minutes more flight. I'm thinking 12-15 mins gentle flights.

If I use 1800mah 65C, it'll save 35g so it'll be under 1.1kg AUW.

I've seen a lot of comments about 65C being unnecessary. Well... they're probably right. It's gives only around 5-10% more power than say the 30C Zippy's I've got.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:44 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
Need to qualify - weight is everything included as if I'm just about to fly (battery installed). I'm probably going to add a couple more rubber bands to hold the wing together tomorrow, so it'll be up to 1g more.

Using highly accurate 0.1g scale, plane faced nose first on the scales. Settled at around 1131g.

Setup:
  • 4x hs-65mg
  • Vox 13x6.5
  • Motrolfly 2815-950kv
  • ZTW (Cyclone Power) 50A speedie
  • 6ch OrangeRX receiver
  • XT60
  • TP 2250mah 65C/130C

If necessary, receiver will be replaced by longer range OrangeRX ones with satellite - on the way. But will add about 10g
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
How much do those TP lipo weigh. that overall weight is lovely and light.

Mine is over 1230g with turnigy 40c3s2200 and apc 14x7.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:49 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
TP Lipos - 197.5g. Specs say 189g but with XT60+solder+shrink tubing = 197g??

Weighed the plane more accurately this time - where I didn't have to hold it. Weight without lipos is 935.2g

So AUW is 1132.9g.

One thing that really annoys me is the CF wing tube - it seems to be a tad narrower that it was supposed to be - it has A LOT of play as in loose in both the wings and in the plane's spar itself. Might add some tape to tighten it up.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:53 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
Really nice flying plane - had 4 flights but couldn't fully enjoy them, just running down the lipos after CG'ing. Handled the 20+ kmh winds alright, but the gusts can really toss the plane 5 to 10 feet sideways while turning into it.

Xzube, got the same damage to the landing gear plate. Lots of epoxy and custom cut CF plate to full size of front part of landing gear supports, + epoxying the edges of the CF plate to brace... About 5g added, 3.7g to the plate itself.

The trip to heaviness starts

Replaced broken prop with 12x7 vox.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:43 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Should have gone the PU route at the build with the LG section.

You might be chasing your tail now to keep up the repairs.

12x7 prop on 3s and 950kV will be a gentle flight? May be a real handful getting a hover out at that setup!
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:07 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
What's PU?

12x7 thrust wise it's at least close to 2:1. Prop wash, maybe an inch less. Max amps at 44A on fully charged TP pack.

Repairs... nah I was too impatient today - "had" to fly all my packs to feel it even though winds were insane - looking at BOM data I was flying in 20kmh winds with 30kmh gusts, so quite a handful.

On my last landing, the 'gust' failed on me meaning I was too slow at about 3m off the ground into the wind, when the wind suddenly stopped.

Next time, nothing over 10km/h with this one.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:32 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,687 Posts
Quote:
What's PU?
Polyurethane. It's closed-cell foam that looks like thick clear/brownish syrup in its bottle, but then bubbles up to several times its previous (liquid) volume by the time it sets as hard foam. Stickiness comes from its tendency to get into any nook and cranny, no matter how small.

Gorilla glue is a well-known PU glue brand in the US. Selleys makes similar stuff that can be bought at Bunnings.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:32 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Polyurethane. It's closed-cell foam that looks like thick clear/brownish syrup in its bottle, but then bubbles up to several times its previous (liquid) volume by the time it sets as hard foam. Stickiness comes from its tendency to get into any nook and cranny, no matter how small.

Gorilla glue is a well-known PU glue brand in the US. Selleys makes similar stuff that can be bought at Bunnings.
Interesting.. First I heard of it and i can already think of a lot of uses for something like this. I might get some...
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:10 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,687 Posts
Ah, I see they've got a corporate presence in .au nowadays. Must be all the RCers complaining about having to ship Gorilla Glue over from the US

http://gorillaglue.com.au/eng/home/

A good way to get PU foam in vast quantities is from places that sell to boat manufacturers. It's used in floatation devices, under decks, around engines (sound absorption)... because of the "closed" nature of the foam cells (most other foams are not fully closed) PU does not get waterlogged even if submerged, unless it's cut with a blade.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:23 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Should have gone the PU route at the build with the LG section.

You might be chasing your tail now to keep up the repairs.

12x7 prop on 3s and 950kV will be a gentle flight? May be a real handful getting a hover out at that setup!
Chuck in a 4s then