HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:46 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
How heavy are the turnigys? I thought the 40C ones were closer to 200+g each

I think you may be able to save 60-100g with lighter lipos.
rchelijc is online now Find More Posts by rchelijc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:00 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc View Post
How heavy are the turnigys? I thought the 40C ones were closer to 200+g each
205g with one side almost completely covered in 3M Super77 and velcro. Say 200g "bare".

Quote:
I think you may be able to save 60-100g with lighter lipos.
I'm not familiar with anything in the 3S 2200mAh range that weighs 100-140g. If someone is offering batteries with that kind of energy density I'd appreciate a pointer. Even if the weight was necessary up front for handling purposes, it could be invested in a bigger motor or ESC.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:07 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
The best alternative would the the GensAce 25C 3s2200 lipo out of the states that come in at around 185g, but that is an expensive route to take given the low cost of the 40C turnigy's.

I have tried 25C turnigy that are 185g but my motor/prop combo would draw more than the lipo could keep up with. I've run the logger over the 40C turnigy's and on the Omega130 with 14x7 prop the turnigy 40C shows a true C rating of around 37C compared to the stated 40C, so thats not bad value for the money.

Even Turnigy 20C 3s1600 come in at 137g but I can assure you that lipo is way too small to power this plane.

Please share any info you have on 3s2200 lipos that can handle spikes of 60A and save me 60-100g weight over the 205g turnigy's.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:16 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
My lightest lipos are the PA ones, about 170g. They're only 20-40c though so you're looking at spikes of up to 88A. Pretty decent batts and I reckon they're rebadged polyquests
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:27 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motrolflyer View Post
Okay, I fess up. It was me that posted it. After watching it with my wife and both of us splitting our sides, I knew I had to share it with everyone. I hope you all enjoyed it.

Alec
Well I certainly enjoyed the video. Sent it to the missus and have not heard anything. The jury's still out on that one
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:32 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Shucks! Looks like lousy weather til Saturday at least. Hopefully can maiden Sunday morning before son's soccer training
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:50 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
205g with one side almost completely covered in 3M Super77 and velcro. Say 200g "bare".

I'm not familiar with anything in the 3S 2200mAh range that weighs 100-140g. If someone is offering batteries with that kind of energy density I'd appreciate a pointer. Even if the weight was necessary up front for handling purposes, it could be invested in a bigger motor or ESC.
I'm not affiliated with these guys, and I sure am frustrated from their lack of response to my queries, but they seem to be lipos with true C ratings. According to everydayflyer they're maybe as good as TP packs, but better than Hyperion.

hicountryhobbies

Billowy 3S 2250 50C/90C - 187g - $25.03
Billowy 3S 1800 40C/80C - 150g - $15.41

Also, TP 1800 45C/90C are 150g, the 2250s are 179g - alas TP prices...

Sorry my mistake about the 100g - I keep thinking 2x 3S packs (which my Extra flies with).
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:32 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Might be nice if they perform as advertised.

Only problem is Zero stock!

I guess that means Zero run time!
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:34 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blxpy View Post
My and my mate's version one kits are now fully assembled and waiting for a break in the weather to maiden. Can't believe how much time it's been between getting the kits and getting them built. Between family and business the months have flown past. (I think these kits were from the very first batch - LOL!)

Interesting I hear you mention the Version 3 kits Groove... What are the basic improvements from version 2 to version 3? (Version 2 had the beefier LG compartment from memory...)
Hey Ben, it's about time you got your plane ready for a maiden . Good luck mate!

Here's a summary of some of the changes on the v3 kits: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1106

They also have 3DHS -style SFGs now rather than EF-style ones.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:36 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
2650 4s seem to be in stock... To try on HK slick?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
178 Posts
HI guys. My MXS turned up in the post last week.There were a few small dings in the double boxing but all was in good condition inside amazing value at $150 something landed including cheapie motor.
Anyway it will take me a while to put it together as the priority is working on our house in my spare time. At present i fly a Bouncer http://www.tufflight.com/bouncer.html which i love flying,
I'm still fairly new when it comes to planes as i have come from flying rc Helis. I'm getting out of the helis cuz i love flying close to the ground and i've gone off spending hours and hours putting them back together after a wee accident. The 3D foamies have proven easier to fix and just as much fun in my opion.
Thanks for all your posts in this forum it has made for some useful and amusing reading.............
m1kal is offline Find More Posts by m1kal
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1kal View Post
HI guys. My MXS turned up in the post last week.There were a few small dings in the double boxing but all was in good condition inside amazing value at $150 something landed including cheapie motor.
Anyway it will take me a while to put it together as the priority is working on our house in my spare time. At present i fly a Bouncer http://www.tufflight.com/bouncer.html which i love flying,
I'm still fairly new when it comes to planes as i have come from flying rc Helis. I'm getting out of the helis cuz i love flying close to the ground and i've gone off spending hours and hours putting them back together after a wee accident. The 3D foamies have proven easier to fix and just as much fun in my opion.
Thanks for all your posts in this forum it has made for some useful and amusing reading.............
I know exactly how you feel. My beater 400 is wedged between branches of a gum tree in the bush about 35m or 11 storeys up. My 90 is on the bench with a fried motor and esc back at the vendor. At least I saved it with a decent auto.

There is a gap in the fun factor that planes just fill, especially when you hit a brick wall when progressing with helis.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:55 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Might be nice if they perform as advertised.

Only problem is Zero stock!

I guess that means Zero run time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
2650 4s seem to be in stock... To try on HK slick?
In this thread there are actual performance tests by none other that everydayflyer.

It's annoying that everytime stock comes back it immediately gets sold out.

I'll keep hassling mntflyer (from hicountry) to see if I can get him to respond to my rather decent order. If you guys in Melbourne want some set me know. Maybe with an order large enough he might wake up.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:25 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
I know exactly how you feel. My beater 400 is wedged between branches of a gum tree in the bush about 35m or 11 storeys up. My 90 is on the bench with a fried motor and esc back at the vendor. At least I saved it with a decent auto.

There is a gap in the fun factor that planes just fill, especially when you hit a brick wall when progressing with helis.
What!? You lost your 400 heli? Why on earth were
you flying 11 stories high? You don't normally do that
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:28 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Was this at PP? Some guy on the PP thread reported that there's a heli stuck on the tree. May be it has come down yesterday... Fair bit of breeze