HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2011, 06:08 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
I just finished my build and I plan to maiden tomorrow. The orange and grey one looks really great .

DJ, those DW Foamies in the background are the small Junior kits. I haven't looked at the larger DW Foamies kits all that closely since I prefer EPP to depron for low and dangerous foamy flying.

Guys, I'll let you know what I think of the Raven once I get it finished and fly it.

The AUW is 1130g with the following gear:
- MG14 servos
- long CF servo arms as sold by bestvaluerc.com
- Turnigy 3542 SK 1000kV motor
- APC style 12x6e prop
- Turnigy Plush 40A ESC with Turnigy 3A SBEC

The external BEC is there to take some heat off the ESC since I will be pushing it harder than I should. If it gets too hot I'll swap over to a Turnigy Plush 60A ESC for about 15g more. I am getting 45 degrees of travel up and down on all control surfaces so I expect I'll be having lots of fun tomorrow .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; May 05, 2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added specs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2011, 07:37 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Some photos

Here's my beauty .
Old May 05, 2011, 04:15 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Looking forward to vid Groove, miss seeing more of your vid's.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old May 05, 2011, 11:27 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Thanks jet. No video at this stage I'm afraid.

I maidened the plane today and put 5 packs through it. I can confidently say that Skywing has a real winner on their hands! It's definitely the best foamy I have ever flown .
Old May 06, 2011, 12:53 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
I had another fly of mine today. Even better now!

I have just over 45 degree throws so response is really good. I also fitted a 12x6e prop instead of a 13x4e, gives a bit less thrust but better speed.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old May 06, 2011, 03:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
I put another 5 packs through the MXS after work in almost dead calm conditions. This plane really rocks! Yesterday, my Skywing 42" Sbach 342 was my favourite foamy. Today, my Skywing 48" MXS is my favourite foamy .

Anyone that's sitting on the fence about one of these planes should get one before they sell out. According to www.bestvaluerc.com the orange and grey ones have sold out and there are only a few of the red and blue ones left. Get one (or several!) really quick; you'll be really glad that you did, I assure you .

Those of you that have purchased kits but have not flown them yet are in for a real treat .

This plane is simply awesome!
Old May 06, 2011, 04:23 AM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Tempting, always tempting me groove!
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old May 06, 2011, 06:06 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Sounds great guys. Got my mates 1/2 together last night and will be starting on mine over the weekend hopefully.

Is there a particular spot to sink the wing hooks into? Had a quick look at that bit last night and couldn't see an obvious spot to put them.DO they just glue into the EPO section? I'd hoped thought there might be a pre-drilled section of balsa or Light ply for them to glue into.

Have you tested your set-up on a watt meter Groove? / I've got an SK 3536 910 and was looking to spin a 12x6e and hoping to run it through a 40A speedy too...

Nac what's your motor pulling with your set-up mate? My buddy will probably get the same motor as you, and wondering for him too if a 40A speedy will cut it.

Shouldn't be long and Adelaide will have it's own little squadron of 2 MSX's doing the rounds!
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old May 06, 2011, 06:55 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blxpy View Post
Sounds great guys. Got my mates 1/2 together last night and will be starting on mine over the weekend hopefully.
You're a great bloke Ben; building your mate's plane before your own .

Quote:
Is there a particular spot to sink the wing hooks into? Had a quick look at that bit last night and couldn't see an obvious spot to put them.DO they just glue into the EPO section? I'd hoped thought there might be a pre-drilled section of balsa or Light ply for them to glue into.
The wing hooks screw into pre-prepared holes in some wood. From memory it's the hole behind the wing tube hole. If you can't see it, line the wing up on the fuselage with the slot where the wing hook will pass through and you should find it.

Quote:
Have you tested your set-up on a watt meter Groove? / I've got an SK 3536 910 and was looking to spin a 12x6e and hoping to run it through a 40A speedy too...
Sure have, but not this exact motor. I've used this setup several times before so I just looked up the most recent tests I've done. This setup draws about 45A after 10 seconds of full throttle during static testing. I suspect that eventually I might be swapping over to a 60A ESC as relatively gentle flights today at about 18 degree celcius had the ESC quite warm. I might cut a slit in the nose underneath the motor so some air can directly flow over the ESC and that might be enough to cool it down sufficiently.

Quote:
Nac what's your motor pulling with your set-up mate? My buddy will probably get the same motor as you, and wondering for him too if a 40A speedy will cut it.

Shouldn't be long and Adelaide will have it's own little squadron of 2 MSX's doing the rounds!
I'm sure that you and your mate will attact some attention once you get these planes flying. They look really great in the sky and can do every trick I have tried on them so far, so they're sure to impress. This plane can do the tightest knife edge loops I've ever done with an EPP foamy; about 2 metres in diameter due to the insane rudder authority. This plane is so responsive on the rudder that you'd almost think it has vectored thrust .
Last edited by groovejet; May 06, 2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: changed radius to diameter
Old May 06, 2011, 09:49 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
what kind of foam is this?
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old May 06, 2011, 10:24 AM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2008
146 Posts
Epp
unlvace is offline Find More Posts by unlvace
Old May 06, 2011, 04:33 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
DO they just glue into the EPO section?
So the wings are EPO skinned with EPP? How durable do you guys think these will be with their substantial weight? (40 oz. for a foamy is kinda heavy)
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old May 06, 2011, 08:07 PM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
Hey Groovejet, haven't seen you get so excited on any other SkyWing 48'' but this one, it must be a Fantastic model to fly, I allway respect your opinion, and very much enjoy your flying review.I already have a Monster and a yak, i guess this one soon be add to the list. Thank mate.
Matk
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
I put another 5 packs through the MXS after work in almost dead calm conditions. This plane really rocks! Yesterday, my Skywing 42" Sbach 342 was my favourite foamy. Today, my Skywing 48" MXS is my favourite foamy .

Anyone that's sitting on the fence about one of these planes should get one before they sell out. According to www.bestvaluerc.com the orange and grey ones have sold out and there are only a few of the red and blue ones left. Get one (or several!) really quick; you'll be really glad that you did, I assure you .

Those of you that have purchased kits but have not flown them yet are in for a real treat .

This plane is simply awesome!
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Last edited by matk; May 06, 2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 06, 2011, 10:09 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Thanks for the feedback matk. This is the only 48" Skywing plane I've flown. The others may be similar. My previous favourite foam plane was the 42" Skywing Sbach 342 so my old favourite was still a Skywing kit. I have found that Skywing's kits are a very good fit to me and my flying style. All of the Skywing planes that I have tried (Katana, Tough, 42" Sbach, 48" MXS) are really great and I prefer them to alternatives that I have tried. I look forward to future Skywing releases as they really take notice of customer feedback and actively improve their designs. I hope that they will continue to grow and prosper and maybe one day they might start producing balsa planes as well .

nac and I had a fantastic session this morning flying our MXSes. Here are some photos. We got some great video that we'll post once we get a chance.
Old May 06, 2011, 10:39 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
For others building these planes here are a few findings that you may like to address:-

- The little wood tab at the front of the canopy has come loose on mine, so I have added extra glue from the inside to secure it.

- As the fields that we fly at are not very smooth (and a few bad landings!), the landing gear has become a bit loose. The wood slot where the wire slots into has cracked a bit. So I just used some polyurethane glue in the slot and secured the gear permanently.

These are both very easy fixes and only take a few minutes to do.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac