1,057 Posts
Gotta start out with more altitude
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:09 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
LOL... that was the whole point. Trying to see how low I could go before pulling out.

I guess the ground was a little tooooo low in this case.

All fixed now and ready to fly tomorrow. test run motor to ensure it didn't pull the fire wall back off and feels sweet.

Had to add a weight to the virgin wing to balance the lat now because of the glue and carbon inserts.

One thing I wish Skywing would do is rather than use ply wood as the main wing truss that runs the length of the wing it would be a lot stronger if this was carbon rod or strip imbedded in the PS foam rather than ply wood.

Its always the ply that breaks on most wing dings.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:21 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Its always the ply that breaks on most wing dings.
That's what I thought too, until my CF spar shattered inside the central sleeve, after that earlier crash which didn't even leave a mark on the wings

Not that I wish to harp on about my petty problems, but I'm just thinking out loud here
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:54 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Peter View Post
they already did, the 3dh 48" Extra EPP is the Skywing MXS with slightly changed structure

I flew my mxs again today, Id say Im not an addict anymore, now the addiction is gone and Ive fallen in love with it instead

It is such a lovely plane, I couldnt discover no bad habits so far, it flies slow but tracks very nice, does everything I want it to do, is predictable and can take a lot of punishment, except the SFGs, they got damaged quite often.

I used a Hacker A30-16M + APC 12x6" but switched to a Leopard LC3542 920KV with 13x6.5" yesterday, I like the bigger prop setup more because of better hovering and more control in post stall flight.

Pete
I asked 3DHS about this and they said the Extra is not the same as the MXS, they didn't explain what the differences were though. When I asked if they were going to get the MXS all they said was that more models are going to be released in the future but nothing specific about which models and when they would be coming.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Exactly JIG, the 3dhs is not an MXS nor is it the Skywing extra300L. Its something they got Skywing to make using the elements of both they wanted to make it the way they wanted for their customers.

I have to say though that the 3DHS is damn closely relate to the MXS that it must be either a first or second cousin.
The fuselage shape is almost exactly the same, the cockpit position a little different and the wood setup inside the canopy a little different but basically the same.

I think if 3dhs release other 3dhs skywing planes they will be more like yak or sbach types with the hint of 3dhs tweaking to make them unique and a little different to what you can get from Skywing.

Got my crashed MXS into the air this morning, flys perfect after a little re trimming. I had to replace the rudder servo due to the crash but it was expected. Put 8 packs through with no crashes this time, a little more careful to ensure the fire wall doesn't fly off under power. A couple of packs and it was tumbling, blending and spinning like nothing had happened yesterday.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I asked 3DHS about this and they said the Extra is not the same as the MXS, they didn't explain what the differences were though. When I asked if they were going to get the MXS all they said was that more models are going to be released in the future but nothing specific about which models and when they would be coming.
hey JIG, what did you expect?

of course they dont tell you "yes, our absolutely special and unique Extra is almost the same like the MXS, both planes have quite similar flight characteristics, therefore we banned the MXS from the US market".

fact is that both planes perform very good, just grab your favourite one, you wont be disappointed

Pete
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:52 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,905 Posts
Quote:

of course they dont tell you "yes, our absolutely special and unique Extra is almost the same like the MXS, both planes have quite similar flight characteristics, therefore we banned the MXS from the US market".

fact is that both planes perform very good, just grab your favourite one, you wont be disappointed

Pete
Yep, agree. There are a number of differences that can be seen by comparing photos of both planes, but IMHO they are just that; differences. The top aircraft manufacturers all make great flying planes, each with the individual characteristics that each manufacturer wants. Some pilots will prefer the traits of one more than another.

The Skywing MXS is an awesome planes and is my favourite plane of all; foam or balsa. I have considered buying a 3DHS EPP Extra so I can really compare them for my own interest, but each time I consider this, the high price scares me away. Not only is the 3DHS airframe $50 USD more expensive (or $60 USD more when the sale price ends), but the shipping is about $30 USD more expensive too. I could buy 2 Skywing kits for a few dollars more, so I'd prefer to buy the Skywing versions. If 3DHS offered me a discount on their kit to help even the pricing, then I'd grab one for sure .

BTW right now I have the following Skywing planes.
- 36" Katana (1 kit built and flying)
- 36" Tough (1 kit built and flying)
- 42" Sbach (2 kits built and flying)
- 48" MXS (3 kits built and flying and 1 kit NIB)
- 48" Extra (1 kit build and flying)
- 48" Yak 54 (1 kit build and flying)
- 48" Sbach (1 kit build and flying and 1 kit NIB)

I posted a photo somewhere else that showed most of my Skywing fleet and someone told me I have an obsession .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:57 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
Quote:

Pete
Yeah, I know what your saying. I just wished they would leave well enough alone and sell them as is under the Skywing name. It's not like Skywing has a bad rep or something. It's really annoying when you ask someone a specific question about a specific product and all you get are generic answers that tell you nothing. Sort of like dealing with a politition.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:40 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Well just to show the durability of these planes here is a video post repair of yesterday flight crash damage and todays flight...mmm and mishap again.

Maybe I should be the Skywing crash tester.

Skywing MXS- Its lives.... sort of. (2 min 42 sec)

Hey Groove, I think you don't have an addiction to anything more than just great flying, great value planes. Balsa, foam, who gives a rats ass.

Todays crash did need a bit more repair to the fire wall. The belly in must have broken the prop and when I gunned the throttle it ripped the motor and fire wall clean out...oppssss.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:57 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,905 Posts
Thanks bigroger. I know myself that I'm very self-aware and I tell it like it is. If these Skywing planes weren't so great, I wouldn't be buying so many of them and flying them more than anything else I own!

Hey, great video. You're really progressing fast! I can see that your rolling harriers are really coming along and you're also getting pretty good at picking up all the pieces of foam after a bad crash .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:05 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Hey, without all those little bits of foam I'd have nothing to glue back onto the skeleton.

I'm lucky in that I work from home and have the large yard plus the park I fly at is literally 5 minutes in the car away. I got 8 packs this morning through the MXS before work started and this afternoon another 4 packs before this little mishap.

Progress requires sacrifice Scott, plus great flying planes. I try my smaller EPP telinks etc but they just don't boogie like these 48" jobs.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
so the mxs perform better than the telinks?

I wondered if I should buy such telink model, actually, I have two mxs, what for do I need a telink?

Pete
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
How do yall like the blue 3715 1000kv motors from Bestvalue? I want to run a 13" prop but my motor would be a little taxed since it's kv is 1130 although it's the same size as this one from Bestvalue. Will it live with a 13x6.5? The price is right and I really need some of those carbon fiber servo arms.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
That motor from Best value rocks on 13x6.5 no issues. It does pull a lot of amps at wot (I've measured up to 60amps) but good throttle management I rarely go to wot for more than 5-10 seconds.

If you buy that motor get some spare shafts and bearings, it only runs a 4mm shaft with a collet adaptor and is prone to bending if you nose in hard. (ask me how I know this fact).

Its a great motor in MHO plus even though I pull hard amps it doesn't feel very hot when I land these days.

You will need at least 40-45amp esc to handle the spikes in amps.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Thanks, BG, but the shipping was a little too steep. Shoulda got one with my Sbach.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken