HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:34 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
Fly with a mate and crash into him!
Know what you mean though.I been bit trying to catch hovering planes before.
It does look cool though...why we do it eh?
Oh yeah, been there done that. I nailed a friend of mine last summer.slashed right through his shirt sleeve and gave him a couple of new scars. We both got a good laugh out of that, his nickname now is scarrr.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:29 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Man,any one else going through gear sets on HS 65's? I seem to be stripping them fairly regularly at the moment.They have been HB's which I guess tells the tale,going to go for MG's I think,pricey though sadly.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Bleary. MG14. Enough said.

Although HS65MG is probably better quality I haven't ground slam tested many HS65MG's myself but plenty of the MG14's.

Once the MG14 get a bit of extra slop from ground slam it does begin to jiggle around centre then as it wears it jiggles at all deflections. It funny when the rudder starts doing this in harrier and the plane wobble like a bugger from side to side.

See my video of the skywing yak54. It doesn't normally wing rock in harrier very much but on that day it was dancing around all over the place.
The next time I took it out it was so bad I could hear the oscillations amplified through the airframe at 100m so it was time to swap them out.

I wish we had a good cheap supply of savox servos here. A lot of balsa guys are very impressed with the savox gear.

By the way Jet, whats a 'hake' ?
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:43 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Hake-high angle knife edge.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:44 PM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Last edited by IMK; Jan 07, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Jet got there first
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:40 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Bleary. MG14. Enough said.

Although HS65MG is probably better quality I haven't ground slam tested many HS65MG's myself but plenty of the MG14's.

Once the MG14 get a bit of extra slop from ground slam it does begin to jiggle around centre then as it wears it jiggles at all deflections. It funny when the rudder starts doing this in harrier and the plane wobble like a bugger from side to side.

See my video of the skywing yak54. It doesn't normally wing rock in harrier very much but on that day it was dancing around all over the place.
The next time I took it out it was so bad I could hear the oscillations amplified through the airframe at 100m so it was time to swap them out.

I wish we had a good cheap supply of savox servos here. A lot of balsa guys are very impressed with the savox gear.

By the way Jet, whats a 'hake' ?
Yeah I have MG14's on my Skywing,this was on my Sniper and I have blown up 3 65's in the last month.
The fact that I plowed it in nose first and broke of both ailerons wouldn't have anything to do with it surely? they just don't make servos like they used to
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:54 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
Man,any one else going through gear sets on HS 65's? I seem to be stripping them fairly regularly at the moment.They have been HB's which I guess tells the tale,going to go for MG's I think,pricey though sadly.
Yes, dropped my parkmaster on it's tail. Running 65hb, only one I stripped, but I recall I tried replacing gear set, then something else stuffed up in the servo.

Since then, I've used the MG, but as they are $, I don't have enought of them to really tell how robust the MG's are. I did put another 65hb on the rudder of my Telink, but will be careful not to drop it. Put mg elesewhere as figure faulty rudder in the air is a survivable event
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:12 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Normally when you strip them in the air,it is survivable,the plane just feels funny as the servo jumps over the broken gears.Apart from this latest bingle,I think pretty much every servo I have stripped in the air has been on the rudder,there is a lot of stress on it in knife edge,snaps and spins.
I ended up putting a HS81mg in the Sniper rudder a while back,crappy servos,but hasn't stripped yet....just put the mozza on myself I think..
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:31 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,105 Posts
Good idea re the hs81. I might do that when the 65hb bites the dust. Yeah - I'm not sure I had a mid air failure yet, apart from an mg90s which probably did it on the ground just prior. I have busted a few hxt, but for the price, it's no pain. Busting the 65 just doesn't feel right... like busting 5 or 6 apc props at once. That sinking feeling again..... if I owned Microsoft I just know I wouldn't feel this way somehow!!
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:45 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Yeah,I totalled 3 APC 12x6's yesterday being stupid at @ $6/7 each plus a stripped 65...it soon adds up.
My LHS has gears for 65's at around $5 I think,so I will do the fiddly fixit job on it.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:48 PM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,058 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1097
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Last edited by JDMCARPETS; Jan 07, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:52 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
??
Sorry I'm a bit fuzzy today,why the link?
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:18 PM
KING of PING!
Joined Nov 2008
1,058 Posts
to help anyone to rebuild a 65mg
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:23 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Thanks,but there is nothing on that link re rebuilding servos that I can see.
I know how to do it through bitter experience though,thanks anyways
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:31 PM
KING of PING!
Joined Nov 2008
1,058 Posts
try link again,it shows step by step gear install for anyone who never tried it