HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:28 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,928 Posts
I decided to take a Skywing family portrait tonight; see exhibit A. I also took a photo that shows the standard orange and grey MXS next to the custom blue MXS; see exhibit B. I took this photo so you can guys can clearly see how much more pop the blue scheme has. BTW good on you Bleary and Bigroger for ordering some of these blue MXSes. They look great in the air and I think that Nac is rather envious of the colour scheme since he's been eying my blue MXS quite a bit each time he's seen it .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:52 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Hey nice photos of the family GJ.

I've got a question regarding the use of the MG14 servos in these planes again.

My Yak54 had that servo jitter around centre on the rudder before Xmas and I swapped it out for a new MG14 and flew today and found the servo jitter is still there both when on the ground and in the air.

I tried moving the subtrim then re-centreing the rudder surface with the control arm and screw but the jitter is still there.

I use these servos on the Telink planes and there is no presence of jitter, these planes have molded in hinges of course so probably more resistance on the servo around centre.
Just wondering with all the Skywing kits you have put the MG14's into if you have seen this jitter and how you overcame it.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:31 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
671 Posts
I think it is most definately a cult, they are rabid in defending anything with a 3DHS logo on it, and just as rabid tearing apart almost any other prduct made by another company. Don't get me wrong, if a company can produce that kind of loyalty they must have a good product that they back with strong service, but look closer and you'll see almost all the threads are populated by the same people, not actually the large spectrum of owners you'd imagine from the activity of the threads.
Honestly, a little leary of purchasing their products for fear of becoming one of the zombies

Leaning towards the Hokusei models actually after viewing the videos on Hokuseis' website...I like to be different and try new things
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:46 AM
Glue is my friend
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Happy New Year

Happy New Year Everyone
WOW alot of posts in one night.
Happy Flying in 2012
Ziggytzag is offline Find More Posts by Ziggytzag
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:16 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Happy New Year! Ouch. No flying this morning. LOL I've put about 20 flights on my big Sbach and I thoroughly love it. For what it's worth, the 3DHS Extra won't cost us mericans much more than buying from China. I only hope they expand their lineup and come up with some better color combos.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:02 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggytzag View Post
WOW alot of posts in one night.
Here's one more . I found another Hokusei Ultima that's pretty similar to the soon to be produced Hokusei Ultima HV. It's an electric balsa plane of a slight larger size (56" versus 48"), but it's pretty similar in fuselage shape and overall proportions.

The product description, if you can understand it or translate it using Google language tools or similar, says it is an improvement over the profile balsa version I posted a link to a couple of pages back. I think it's worth taking a look at this plane to get a better idea of the possible proportions of the EPP Ultima HV that will soon be made. To make it easier I have attached 2 photos below to show that they look quite similar apart from size differences and a few minor details. I think that it's an elegant looking plane and it certainly has my attention at this stage.

http://www.hokusei-china.com/P%20P%2...LTIMA%20EV.htm
Last edited by groovejet; Jan 01, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
...Im wondering what the Ultima is good for

is it some kind of precise aerobatic plane like the 3dh Osiris?

regards
Pete
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:08 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
Happy New Year! Ouch. No flying this morning. LOL I've put about 20 flights on my big Sbach and I thoroughly love it. For what it's worth, the 3DHS Extra won't cost us mericans much more than buying from China. I only hope they expand their lineup and come up with some better color combos.
Sore head hey,know the feeling.
I don't know how you figure the prices are the same,on the 3DHS website it is $130 bare airframe,not sure about their postage.http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Foamies_c_318.html
Whereas a very similar MXS from Bestvaluerc is $78.50 or get a combo with a perfectly good motor for $95 or so http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=306
Obviously the postage will be a bit,but not that much.
Anyway it is what it is for now so I guess the only option for some of you stateside guys who want one is a 3DHS bird.
Nice photos GJ,that is an impressive collection.Does your missus ever roll her eyes at you when another box arrives....I know mine does..
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:15 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
More important question Bleary is how many of us smuggle new boxes into hiding places to await the best opportunity to unveil the 'new toy' for all to marvel?

I know I do more often then not.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:48 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
My previous theory was to always try and order similar colour planes,so I could say that I had had it for ages!
Gets a bit hard when you have plane racks dripping with planes in your shed...
Really it is not that expensive a hobby,I was into dirt biking and stock car racing years ago,that was expensive.I have a acquaintance that does drag racing and the money he spends on that is mindblowing really.
Once you have a Tx and tools/charger/lipos etc it isn't too bad for this size plane.I was looking at 50cc gassers a while back and the costs are pretty high really for something that you might not fly that often.They are pretty impressive though.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:56 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Hey nice photos of the family GJ.

I've got a question regarding the use of the MG14 servos in these planes again.

My Yak54 had that servo jitter around centre on the rudder before Xmas and I swapped it out for a new MG14 and flew today and found the servo jitter is still there both when on the ground and in the air.

I tried moving the subtrim then re-centreing the rudder surface with the control arm and screw but the jitter is still there.

I use these servos on the Telink planes and there is no presence of jitter, these planes have molded in hinges of course so probably more resistance on the servo around centre.
Just wondering with all the Skywing kits you have put the MG14's into if you have seen this jitter and how you overcame it.
Bigroger, I've seen the jitter from time to time. My theory on it is the servos have been stressed too much by hangar rash or crashes etc. and they are slowly on the way out. I usually see it on the ground for a while before it is noticable in the air. Once it affects flight performance I change them over.

The Telink planes are lighter and would put less stress on the same servos. Having said that, I used to get servo jitters from time to time on my 900g Skywing 42" Sbach, but I am pretty sure that was from the hundreds of crashes that plane endured .

Bleary, my wife has perfected the "roll eyes" manoeuvre, though lately she has been a bit happier as I have been selling a few smaller planes .
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:00 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Peter View Post
...Im wondering what the Ultima is good for

is it some kind of precise aerobatic plane like the 3dh Osiris?

regards
Pete
I reckon it'll be similar to a 3DHS Super Vyper; a good mix of precision and aggressive 3D.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:28 PM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,058 Posts
For all you guys having trouble with the build http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=863
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:58 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
JDM- what problem, there's only half a dozen parts to put together total. The hardest part is wondering if to use one rubber band or two to hold the wings together.

GJ, I gathered that was the problem with the servo, I swapped it over this morning and zap... no jitter. Yesterday I had rudder jitter in flight so severe that I could hear it reverberate through the airframe at 100m.

I did also swap over the extension from a Futaba plug lead to a JR type plug lead. I think it was probably the servo. Did a couple of tail drags in KE yesterday with the SW yak, can't remember if that was before or after the jitter got real bad.

Do you know if Hitec hs65MG's get jitter as ofter as these MG14's?

Eye rolling..... and the common phrases... don't you think you have enough of these planes yet?.... followed by.... don't you think you have enough pairs of shoes yet?
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:10 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Thanks for that JDM,that may help someone down the track.
Roger,you haven't had a great run those servos have you?
Mine have been ok,but I wonder if I am getting some aileron blowback,it is either that or the control surfaces are bending.If I can find my little camera I think I will put it on the plane to see.
I ordered 4 new MG14's for the MXS,but I may even experiment with some other servos I have(Hitec 65's and some digital 20gr servos,can't remember the brand)
I have had blowback on the 65's as well,so maybe it is me rather than the servos as such.
I think I do most of my servo damage getting the plane in and out of the car and on the bench actually,bit hamfisted.