SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:58 PM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Feda, that is great news. I'm definitely interested in a Skywing/Hokusei Ultima. Nice colour scheme too.
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:00 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
there seem to be quite a few differences, but honestly none seem worth the price difference. Also, it seems a lot of the guys in the "other" thread are doing a lot of motor mount repairs( maybe that peice of faom behind the firewall was there for a reason). Like I've posted before, didn't have the funds to buy the skywing when I found out about it, and now that I've got the funds, forced to only one choice at a higher price.
If there really are that many differences, why the need for blocking Skywing from selling their version ?
Fairly confused and pretty disappointed I can't purchase the actual plane I want ( which is the Skywing )in the supposed country of "free choice".
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:02 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I am wondering if the big Sbach will come back into stock anytime soon. Seems to have been out of stock for quite some time.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:03 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Wow, this thread is quite active today! Happy New Year to everyone .

The Skywing/Hokusei Ultima HV at first glance looks pretty similar to their recently released Hokusei Primus HV plane: http://www.hokusei-japan.com/product...us-epp-hv.html I wonder if ther is any Skywing DNA in that plane.

BTW Here's the little Hoksuei Ultima BX that was my favourite plane when I used to fly smaller foamies. I was my favourite plane for quite some time until I discovered Skywing .

http://vimeo.com/9084830

As you can see in the video, the little Hokusei Ultima BX was a feral little thing. The larger HV version that Skywing will produce for Hokusei has a longer fuselage so it likely to be smoother flyer. I wonder how much of the feral nature will remain. Hopefully a lot of it! I can see in the photo that the new Ultima HV has a very slender wing with large ailerons, so I expect a very fast roll rate. The tail surfaces look to be sufficiently large too, so it looks promising at this stage .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; Dec 31, 2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typos
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:09 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
I am wondering if the big Sbach will come back into stock anytime soon. Seems to have been out of stock for quite some time.
It's such a nice plane that I have a spare kit sitting here in case I need it. Definitely grab one when you can. It's a little different to the Extra/MXS, but really nice in its own way and is somewhat similar to the Yak that you love.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:14 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Sweet flying their GJ. Is that a 10x6 your running on that Ultima?
What motor size and speedy?

I'm running a gws 10x6 on the Techone Souka but only 20amp esc until my replacement plush 30a speedies come in. Keep hitting the overheat limited on this plane with the 2212-1400 motor that came as the kit. Heaps of thrust on 3s-800mA lipo but the damn this sits inside a poor vent fuse.
I'm gonna try an mount the esc outside the fuse to see if I can cool it down some.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:47 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Nice flying there... love the feral. I quite like it that way... yes, be interesting to compare that to the larger version...
PS - would you mind sharing your setup on that little beastie? Perhaps you already have it somewhere else?>
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:05 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
I can't see the little Ultima BX on bestvaluerc any more. They do have the yak 55 tho. But I do like the look of the little ultima as a real throw around rabid foamie
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:22 PM
Georgia
Joined Apr 2005
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
Happy new year from the Eastern Time Zone of North America! We have about 5.5 hours to go until the new year. :-)

I've just got the news that SkyWing is making a prototype 48" Ultima for Hokusei. I'm thrilled because I liked Hokusei's Ultima when had it. It did 3D well! Can't wait to try this new version. From the photo, I can already see some Hokusei-SkyWing fusion there!

If everything goes well, this plane can get into production in 2 months, so was I told.

Cheers,

feda
Hopefully I can purchase that one and have it shipped to the US . How do the Hokusei planes compare in construction, such as the Sbach made by Hokusei?
I never leave the MKS at home when I go flying. I fly it the most of all my planes. Sadly it has been abused and is near retirement. I will have to resort to the inflated price of the US distributor.
Happy new year.
pjpg is offline Find More Posts by pjpg
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:47 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post

BTW Here's the little Hoksuei Ultima BX that was my favourite plane when I used to fly smaller foamies. I was my favourite plane for quite some time until I discovered Skywing .

http://vimeo.com/9084830

As you can see in the video, the little Hokusei Ultima BX was a feral little thing. The larger HV version that Skywing will produce for Hokusei has a longer fuselage so it likely to be smoother flyer. I wonder how much of the feral nature will remain. Hopefully a lot of it! I can see in the photo that the new Ultima HV has a very slender wing with large ailerons, so I expect a very fast roll rate. The tail surfaces look to be sufficiently large too, so it looks promising at this stage .
Wow, totally wild flying! It looks quite like the state of the art. Can't believe the plane is of a design that is several years old!
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:29 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
I can't see the little Ultima BX on bestvaluerc any more. They do have the yak 55 tho. But I do like the look of the little ultima as a real throw around rabid foamie
Hi Rich662u,

The little Ultima BX has been discontinued, but take a look at the 39-in Hokusei SBach 342 BX HV (http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=345): it should offer you something similar.

In fact, this little SBach is manufactured by SkyWing. You can expect the same quality and construction as those found in the SkyWing planes.

BTW, there is nothing to prevent me from shipping this plane to the US from China.

A video of test flight with this small SBach by Mr. Ikechan of Hokusei:
Hokusei Sbach EPP BX Test Flight (2 min 48 sec)

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Last edited by feda; Jan 01, 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Added two pictures
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:44 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
Happy new year from the Eastern Time Zone of North America! We have about 5.5 hours to go until the new year. :-)

I've just got the news that SkyWing is making a prototype 48" Ultima for Hokusei. I'm thrilled because I liked Hokusei's Ultima when had it. It did 3D well! Can't wait to try this new version. From the photo, I can already see some Hokusei-SkyWing fusion there!

If everything goes well, this plane can get into production in 2 months, so was I told.

Cheers,

feda
I was just taking another look at the Skywing/Hokusei Ultima HV and it looks quite similar to Hokusei's balsa profile Ultima that feda sells: http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=291

I am definitely looking forward to finding out more about the Ultima HV.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:52 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Thanks for that great info Feda. My Techone Energy arrived extremely quickly from Bestvaluerc. Impressed
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:55 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Peter View Post
this so called "3DHS EPP Extra club" are the unlucky guys who have to spend more money for the same airframe, they can order only one boring paintsheme, they desire to become members in the true epp MXS community but unfortunetaly they live in the wrong country

I guess Ive found the right spot now, flies much better now with the battery positioned more back, easy to hover now, as well.

regards

Pete
I agree Pete, though the 3DHS version is a little different, so think of it as another Skywing model with a much higher price tag.

Glad to hear that your MXS is flying better with the lipo further back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
there seem to be quite a few differences, but honestly none seem worth the price difference. Also, it seems a lot of the guys in the "other" thread are doing a lot of motor mount repairs( maybe that peice of faom behind the firewall was there for a reason). Like I've posted before, didn't have the funds to buy the skywing when I found out about it, and now that I've got the funds, forced to only one choice at a higher price.
If there really are that many differences, why the need for blocking Skywing from selling their version ?
Fairly confused and pretty disappointed I can't purchase the actual plane I want ( which is the Skywing )in the supposed country of "free choice".
I see it as unfortunate that 3DHS felt the need to protect the US market from fair competition, but let's face it, with clear evidence that the Skywing planes fly very well and offer more choice on models and colour schemes with a lower price tag to boot, 3DHS would be in trouble until they could get a few more models released. Also consider that Skywing is a relatively small operator, so any US-based people buying Skywing's offerings are taking both a sale and production potential away from the 3DHS' offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Sweet flying their GJ. Is that a 10x6 your running on that Ultima?
What motor size and speedy?

I'm running a gws 10x6 on the Techone Souka but only 20amp esc until my replacement plush 30a speedies come in. Keep hitting the overheat limited on this plane with the 2212-1400 motor that came as the kit. Heaps of thrust on 3s-800mA lipo but the damn this sits inside a poor vent fuse.
I'm gonna try an mount the esc outside the fuse to see if I can cool it down some.
Thanks bigroger. I have since sold that plane because I prefer larger foamies now and my Skywing planes are just fantastic. It used to run a Turnigy Plush 18A ESC, Scorpion 2215-18 (discontinued) motor, a GWS 10x6 prop and 4 HXT900 servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
Nice flying there... love the feral. I quite like it that way... yes, be interesting to compare that to the larger version...
PS - would you mind sharing your setup on that little beastie? Perhaps you already have it somewhere else?>
Thanks Rick. Please see above for the setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpg View Post
Hopefully I can purchase that one and have it shipped to the US . How do the Hokusei planes compare in construction, such as the Sbach made by Hokusei?
I never leave the MKS at home when I go flying. I fly it the most of all my planes. Sadly it has been abused and is near retirement. I will have to resort to the inflated price of the US distributor.
Happy new year.
Sadly, I suspect that you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feda
Wow, totally wild flying! It looks quite like the state of the art. Can't believe the plane is of a design that is several years old!
Thanks feda. I feel that the Hokusei Ultima BX was hands-down the best hardcore 3D EPP plane in its size a couple of years ago. At one stage I had 2 Ultima BX planes flying and a brand new one in the box. The new owners of the planes I sold already built gave me very, very positive feedback once they had flown them, with one of the guys saying it was now his favourite foamy due to its graceful flight characteristics and its insane dynamics when he was occasionally in the mood.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:41 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
[QUOTE=groovejet;20286459]I agree Pete, though the 3DHS version is a little different, so think of it as another Skywing model with a much higher price tag.

Glad to hear that your MXS is flying better with the lipo further back.

I see it as unfortunate that 3DHS felt the need to protect the US market from fair competition, but let's face it, with clear evidence that the Skywing planes fly very well and offer more choice on models and colour schemes with a lower price tag to boot, 3DHS would be in trouble until they could get a few more models released. Also consider that Skywing is a relatively small operator, so any US-based people buying Skywing's offerings are taking both a sale and production potential away from the 3DHS' offering.

It's amazing really,they are being shockingly ripped off,yet seem happy or even proud of it.
I guess a 3DHS label allows that,so much for the global economy for the Americans that don't swallow that Kool Aid crap.It's like a cult,very strange.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary