HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:02 PM
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2002
64 Posts
Ordered one!

Just chiming in to say I ordered a Red MXS from Max at Wattaplane. Thought
about the 3DHS Extra, but saving close to $60 when the dust settles getting the MXS over the Extra, settled it. Can`t be that much better of a plane.
Using the savings to get some Nanao tech batteries! Thanks to all who have posted and continue to post, such good info and advise!
And a Happy New Year everyone, eh!

Kerry
kmac is offline Find More Posts by kmac
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:19 AM
Glue is my friend
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Bearing link

Thanks Bigroger for the link
That will come in handy as I know I will probably overheat a few motors myself.

And

kmac
I don't think the 3dhs Extra is any better at all.
From what I've read here the MXS is one of Skywings best all round for enjoyment.
Skywing listens to the customers and coninues to improve their product.
Even if the price was the same I would still buy the MXS.
The 3dhs Extra was just custom made for 3dhs.
I'm confident I just bought myself the best Christmas present this year.
Z
Ziggytzag is offline Find More Posts by Ziggytzag
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:43 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Careful saying that on the other thread,it is akin to blasphemy you know...
My MXS is coming shortly,to go with my Extra 300.
Great planes
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:14 AM
Glue is my friend
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
My MXS is coming shortly,to go with my Extra 300.
Great planes
They'll just have to remember that we have the original and the truth is no matter what is painted on the plane
It is still a Skywing
Ziggytzag is offline Find More Posts by Ziggytzag
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:01 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Peter View Post
great flying, groovejet!

meanwhile, I managed to get some stick time on my grey mxs. It flies ok so far, but I think the CG position proposed in the manual is not the best (120mm behind the leading edge)

I currently use a hacker A30-16M along with a turnigy 3s 2200, with the proposed CG my plane feels very nose heavy.

What CG position do you think is best?

I have about 45-50 elevator throw and the model is very sensitive on elevator, unless I apply 80% expo.
Is it the right setup for elevator on that plane?

regards

Pete
Thanks Pete. I never measure CoGs. I just put the battery roughly where I think it should be and fly it. It only takes a few adjustments on the first flight to find the right spot for it. For me, the right spot has the plane flying hands-off level upright and inverted, or perhaps so that the plane is just slightly nose heavy.

I have a similar amount of deflection on the elevator and use 60% to 70% of expo.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:03 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
Just chiming in to say I ordered a Red MXS from Max at Wattaplane. Thought
about the 3DHS Extra, but saving close to $60 when the dust settles getting the MXS over the Extra, settled it. Can`t be that much better of a plane.
Using the savings to get some Nanao tech batteries! Thanks to all who have posted and continue to post, such good info and advise!
And a Happy New Year everyone, eh!

Kerry
Hi Kerry. Welcome to the Skywing club. We may be smaller than the 3DHS EPP Extra club, but we have more attractions right now; Yak 54, Sbach, Extra and MXS .

Happy New Year! .
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:21 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
691 Posts
I look at the 2 planes ( skywing & 3DHS) and can't see any difference but the paint scheme, though they claim the airframe has been "tweaked", no specific information as to what was changed, just "tweaked". Guess you have to have "drunk the kool aid " for that "tweaked" statement to mean anything to you.
Will Wattaplane ship skywing products to the states ?
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
We may be smaller than the 3DHS EPP Extra club
this so called "3DHS EPP Extra club" are the unlucky guys who have to spend more money for the same airframe, they can order only one boring paintsheme, they desire to become members in the true epp MXS community but unfortunetaly they live in the wrong country

Quote:
I never measure CoGs. I just put the battery roughly where I think it should be and fly it. It only takes a few adjustments on the first flight to find the right spot for it. For me, the right spot has the plane flying hands-off level upright and inverted, or perhaps so that the plane is just slightly nose heavy.
I guess Ive found the right spot now, flies much better now with the battery positioned more back, easy to hover now, as well.

regards

Pete
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Last edited by 3D Peter; Dec 31, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
I look at the 2 planes ( skywing & 3DHS) and can't see any difference but the paint scheme, though they claim the airframe has been "tweaked", no specific information as to what was changed, just "tweaked". Guess you have to have "drunk the kool aid " for that "tweaked" statement to mean anything to you.
there are some changes they made (just have a closer look at the pics: ply structure and wing/fuse transition) , but I doubt they improve the flight characteristics

Quote:
I guess no, just send Max (feda) a PM and find out.

Pete
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:37 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
I think that the 3DHS Extra 330 is closest to the Skywing MXS in many ways, so I'll mention the differences that I've seen in photos:

- The 3DHS seems to have a 48" long fuselage like the Skywing Yak 54 and Sbach. The Skywing MXS and Extra have shorter fuselages.
- The 3DHS canopy has been moved further back, similarly to the PA Bandit.
- The 3DHS plane has a slightly tweaked wood motor mount. The 3DHS wood motor mount has more holes in it and doesn't have EPP foam on the back of it.
- The 3DHS fuselage has a carbon fibre strip on either side high up on the inside of the fuselage. This makes me suspect that the 3DHS fuselage is also a little higher, which would allow 4 cell lipos to be used with reasonable convenience.
- The 3DHS wings fit entirely into the fuselage airfoil cutouts, whereas the Skywings leave the small trailing edge extensions hanging alongside the fuselage.
- The 3DHS uses 3DHS-style side force generators.
- The 3DHS has 2 holes in the bottom of the fuselage. The Skwing planes have a single hole.
- The 3DHS plane has the support of a well respected US company, which seems crucial for many Americans to take notice of a fantastic product from overseas, regardless of the quality of that product .
Last edited by groovejet; Dec 31, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:51 PM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
...well, here in Germany 2011 will end in about 12 minutes, Id like to wish you all a best possible START TO THE NEW YEAR!

Pete
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:56 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Thanks Pete. I'd been wondering where you're located. Happy New Year to you too (in 5 minutes) !
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:26 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,258 Posts
Happy new year from the Eastern Time Zone of North America! We have about 5.5 hours to go until the new year. :-)

I've just got the news that SkyWing is making a prototype 48" Ultima for Hokusei. I'm thrilled because I liked Hokusei's Ultima when had it. It did 3D well! Can't wait to try this new version. From the photo, I can already see some Hokusei-SkyWing fusion there!

If everything goes well, this plane can get into production in 2 months, so was I told.

Cheers,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:52 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
Happy new year from the Eastern Time Zone of North America! We have about 5.5 hours to go until the new year. :-)

I've just got the news that SkyWing is making a prototype 48" Ultima for Hokusei. I'm thrilled because I liked Hokusei's Ultima when had it. It did 3D well! Can't wait to try this new version. From the photo, I can already see some Hokusei-SkyWing fusion there!

If everything goes well, this plane can get into production in 2 months, so was I told.

Cheers,

feda
Happy New Year (soon) to you too feda .

Oh wow! A Skywing/Hokusei Ultima with stiff construction. The small Hokusei Ultima BX was my favourite plane for quite some time a few years ago due to its excellent aggressiveness and smooth flying when in a relaxed mood. Please keep us informed of developments.

BTW I hope that Hokusei will use Skywing's excellent wing attachment method (hooks and rubber bands), rather than Hokusei's less convenient method of screws used on their other HV planes.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:55 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Yep Happy New Year Feda,GJ,and all the other Skywing fans.
A bigger Ultima would be very cool,I would certainly buy one.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary