HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:15 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akabek View Post
Sorry, I was using the wrong terminology. By the way great job or the build thread you have going Groovejet. I pulled the following instructions from your build post which is what I meant to say originally:

f. Test fit the ailerons, and if required deepen the hinge slots with a sharp blade.
g. Squeeze some Scotch glue into the hinge slots and then attach the ailerons. Clean up any excess glue and then use some masking tape to hold it in place until the glue dries (few hours to be sure).

If you sqeeze the 3M Scotch glue into the hinge slots will it not reach the EPS core after installing the aileron? After you install the aileron to the wing do you leave a (eg. 1mm ) gap between the wing and the aileron?
Thanks, akabek.

The Scotch glue will not reach the EPS wing core if you put it in the hinge slots.
Generally with these EPP planes I leave no gap between the wing and the aileron (except a few gaps here and there due to manufacturing inconsistencies), but I always test the deflection I get before I glue the aileron in place. If I can get the deflection I want with no gap, I will glue it in place with no gap. If I need a small gap to get the deflection I want, I will glue it in place with a small gap. Generally with these planes, the foam is flexible enough that you can use a smaller gap than would be required on an equivalent balsa plane.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:43 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Thanks, akabek.

The Scotch glue will not reach the EPS wing core if you put it in the hinge slots.
Generally with these EPP planes I leave no gap between the wing and the aileron (except a few gaps here and there due to manufacturing inconsistencies), but I always test the deflection I get before I glue the aileron in place. If I can get the deflection I want with no gap, I will glue it in place with no gap. If I need a small gap to get the deflection I want, I will glue it in place with a small gap. Generally with these planes, the foam is flexible enough that you can use a smaller gap than would be required on an equivalent balsa plane.
Thanks for setting me straight.
akabek is offline Find More Posts by akabek
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:59 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
763 Posts
You want the max deflection that you want to be achieved with zero strain - so basically provide a gap where required for this.

Foam does have a bit of give, but at max deflection of your surfaces, the servos are already strained to the max by wind resistance alone, and adding even the sponginess of the foam into the equation may stall your servos such that you may never achieve those deflections in flight, even though you can achieve them on the bench.

of course depends on strength of servos and how much 'semi-binding' occurs at those deflections
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:14 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
238 Posts
Today I maidened my MXS but I thought I would experience better vertical climb power although the weather conditions were far from ideal.

I am running the Scorpion 3020-890 motor, Turnigy Plush 40A with an APC 13x6.5E prop. I will double check but I think the ESC was set to high timing. The battery was a Nano Tech 3S 2200Mah 45-90C. The temperature was at the freezing mark with 11KM/Hr winds. I did set the throttle high and low settings but I will go through the setup again. I assume there is a break in period for the motor but the motor seemed to have to work to climb verticle...

Any thoughts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:39 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Today I maidened my MXS but I thought I would experience better vertical climb power although the weather conditions were far from ideal.

I am running the Scorpion 3020-890 motor, Turnigy Plush 40A with an APC 13x6.5E prop. I will double check but I think the ESC was set to high timing. The battery was a Nano Tech 3S 2200Mah 45-90C. The temperature was at the freezing mark with 11KM/Hr winds. I did set the throttle high and low settings but I will go through the setup again. I assume there is a break in period for the motor but the motor seemed to have to work to climb verticle...

Any thoughts
With that hardware you ought to be experiencing huge punch-out. My guess is that the battery doesn't like the cold conditions, or it's on its way out, or both. Pre-warming lipos seems like a common cold weather tactic, though we wouldn't know anything about that here

No chance the prop is on backwards? It would still produce thrust in the right direction, only far less of it.

Maybe revert to the ESC defaults and see whether it makes a difference?

Are the endpoints on the Tx set up correctly?
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:52 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,288 Posts
Quote:
I assume there is a break in period for the motor but the motor seemed to have to work to climb verticle...

No. There is no break-in for brushless motors, that was only for the old brushed type motors...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:03 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
With that hardware you ought to be experiencing huge punch-out. My guess is that the battery doesn't like the cold conditions, or it's on its way out, or both. Pre-warming lipos seems like a common cold weather tactic, though we wouldn't know anything about that here

No chance the prop is on backwards? It would still produce thrust in the right direction, only far less of it.

Maybe revert to the ESC defaults and see whether it makes a difference?

Are the endpoints on the Tx set up correctly?
The prop is an APC with the letter facing (out) forward so think it is on right. I grabbed a fresh battery, reset the end points and while holding the plane I gave it full throttle....I almost thought I was going for a ride. I felt the punch you were talking about. I will leave it at a faulty power source. I am sure I fully charged the battery but maybe it did not like the cold weather.

Thanks for the assistance
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:48 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,288 Posts
Finally have my MXS ready for flight, but a question about joining the wings:

Are you all using the supplied white rubber bands or something else?

If the stock ones, about how many are you using?

As many as you can fit after doubling/tripling each of them around the hooks?

Thanks guys...
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:41 PM
Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
473 Posts
I use cable ties, sometimes called zip-ties.
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post

Thanks guys...
I used 3 of them, triple-looped.
VR Eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:27 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Eyedoc View Post
I used 3 of them, triple-looped.

Thanks
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:12 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post

Thanks guys...
I use rubber o-rings, like the type you use on a prop saver. I don't remember what size but it only takes one of them. Much easier to take on and off since there is only one, it's very difficult to remove and replace multiple twisted rubber bands. But then I always r&r my wings for flying and transport.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:17 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2009
478 Posts
Quote:

Any thoughts

Use a 14X7 and you'll be much happier. I have the same motor on a 14 7 and it's great....
NeverEnough is offline Find More Posts by NeverEnough
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:44 PM
G Stanton
Dixon, CA
Joined Jan 2003
77 Posts
SkyWing in USA?

Anybody know who in the continerntal USA carries Skywing products? Or, do I have to order from China and wait it out.
Gary Stanton is offline Find More Posts by Gary Stanton
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:01 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Stanton View Post
Anybody know who in the continerntal USA carries Skywing products? Or, do I have to order from China and wait it out.

http://usa.wattaplane.com/shop/default.asp