SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Canada, BC, Roberts Creek
Joined Nov 2008
618 Posts
Maiden Success!

Managed to fly most of a pack this after before sundown, twas a bit breezy, but everything went very well! I am duly impressed with the handling of my MXS with a 3s setup, enough punch for my rookie ass to have already avoided trouble with throttle bailouts. Man, do I ever have a lot to learn when it comes to 3D! I do ok with the sim and figured I would have things a little more sorted with a proper real airplane. I mean I didn't expect to be even an above average 3D flyer right out of the gate, but found my skills are very raw, my rudder skills in particular. All in due time...

I re-enforced the servo bays with another layer of light ply, which stiffened the mount considerably. No overall complaints, other than the rubber bands that came with the kit, but I plan to use micro sized zipties to remedy that once and for all.

The build:
------------
Aerodrive SK3-3542-800 motor
Plush 40a ESC
XR Type B Beechwood Prop - 14x6
4 x HK 929MG Metal Gear Servo
Oversized CF servo arms (Wattaplane)

The motor, ESC, Prop and CF servo arms are great! Very happy with the setup. The servos are ok, not very much much resolution, but they centre fine (for now), should be fine (plus I have 4 extra).

4s would def be pretty sick for power, but I am happy to learn with the 3s setup. Can't wait for a calm day to really get some practice on!
C4X is offline Find More Posts by C4X
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4X View Post
Maiden Success!

Managed to fly most of a pack this after before sundown, twas a bit breezy, but everything went very well! I am duly impressed with the handling of my MXS with a 3s setup, enough punch for my rookie ass to have already avoided trouble with throttle bailouts. Man, do I ever have a lot to learn when it comes to 3D! I do ok with the sim and figured I would have things a little more sorted with a proper real airplane. I mean I didn't expect to be even an above average 3D flyer right out of the gate, but found my skills are very raw, my rudder skills in particular. All in due time...

I re-enforced the servo bays with another layer of light ply, which stiffened the mount considerably. No overall complaints, other than the rubber bands that came with the kit, but I plan to use micro sized zipties to remedy that once and for all.

The build:
------------
Aerodrive SK3-3542-800 motor
Plush 40a ESC
XR Type B Beechwood Prop - 14x6
4 x HK 929MG Metal Gear Servo
Oversized CF servo arms (Wattaplane)

The motor, ESC, Prop and CF servo arms are great! Very happy with the setup. The servos are ok, not very much much resolution, but they centre fine (for now), should be fine (plus I have 4 extra).

4s would def be pretty sick for power, but I am happy to learn with the 3s setup. Can't wait for a calm day to really get some practice on!
I have the same motro + ESC and CF arms setup, I found corona 939 (also available on hobbyking)better than HK929.
VR Eyedoc is online now Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Sep 2009
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Eyedoc View Post
I have the same motro + ESC and CF arms setup, I found corona 939 (also available on hobbyking)better than HK929.
Speaking of the Coronas, My HV coronas should be here in a day or two
vinay2070 is offline Find More Posts by vinay2070
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:25 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,394 Posts
Seriously thinking this plane - seems the hard part is deciding on the color.

So I am looking at either the AX Brushless Outrunner Motor AX3715-1000 or Hengli Brushless Outrunner Motor W3542-850.

Not a major difference in price or weight, so wondering which is the best choice of the two.

Thanks - Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,113 Posts
I went helingi. The ax is nice, but has higher amp draw, slightly lower power, and the xmounts were weak, or used to be. The helingi is more expensive, but has lower amp draw and a bit more pep. I ordered it for the watts plane edge. However, if u upgrade the x mount, the ax will serve u well. It goes fast, I did find it sucked battery however

Another option is the sk3 turnigy aero drive, 1000kv 140g. Smooth, good quality very powerful motor. A little cheaper than helingi
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:43 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,113 Posts
If u have the money, the 800w scorpion would be amazing

Oh, I should mention you can easily run a 40 speedie on the helingi, but you would be pushing it with the ax, and should really run a 45 or 50 to be sure on that motor. You could get e lower kv ax and run a 40 tho
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:24 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Anyone else have issues with the AX motors from BestvalueRC? I got one with my original MXS kit and didnt use it. I installed it on my new MXS kit and it smoked on the second flight using 12x6 APC and 4 cell 40C battery. Not happy. The windings are burned.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
Anyone else have issues with the AX motors from BestvalueRC? I got one with my original MXS kit and didnt use it. I installed it on my new MXS kit and it smoked on the second flight using 12x6 APC and 4 cell 40C battery. Not happy. The windings are burned.
Which specific motor winding were you using? Your setup sounds like it _might_ be OK on the 820kV version with throttle management, but sounds like far too much for the 1000kV version.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:05 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,113 Posts
I'm pretty sure I used my 1000KV AX with the 13x6.5 with zero problems. Yes, it and the battery were warm, but i but holes in the fuse, and flew with the front square EPP removed from around the motor for cooling, but no problems at all.. .used a 54A speedie - but all this was three cell 40-65c batt
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Which specific motor winding were you using? Your setup sounds like it _might_ be OK on the 820kV version with throttle management, but sounds like far too much for the 1000kV version.

It was the 820kv, setup per the info on the BVRC website. I had one full pack into it and then flew my 3DHS Edge 540 a couple times, came back to the MXS for flight 2 and the motor started to lose power about 3 mins into flight. I landed it and the motor was literally smoking. The windings are burnt. Then I proceeded to destroy my 3DHS Edge due to the wing bolt coming lose. I should have checked it, had several flights on it today, and it practically exploded in the middle of a tumble. Not my best day at the field.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Canada, BC, Roberts Creek
Joined Nov 2008
618 Posts
So, I'm quite happy with the overall MXS experience, but am finding there is quite a bit of wing rock in harrier. Anything to be done about that? Move the CG back from the recommended 4.5" from root LE maybe? I'm new to 3d, could use some insight

Clarke
C4X is offline Find More Posts by C4X
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:14 AM
Australia, SA, Tailem Bend
Joined Jun 2012
94 Posts
So mine turned up yesterday Thanks to Max for checking up on where it was when I was having trouble with the tracking system & thinking it had been lost. Have it about half built so hopefully a maiden this weekend.
Marty66 is offline Find More Posts by Marty66
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:00 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4X View Post
So, I'm quite happy with the overall MXS experience, but am finding there is quite a bit of wing rock in harrier. Anything to be done about that? Move the CG back from the recommended 4.5" from root LE maybe? I'm new to 3d, could use some insight

Clarke
Have you checked your cg with the in flight test method, most recommended cg's are going to be fairly nose heavy for safety on the maiden. I set mine so it is just ever so slightly nose heavy in inverted flight at half throttle. As far as wing rock in harrier, once the cg is set try adding some expo on the rudder and use the rudder very lightly. If this plane is set up right and flown with the right harrier skills it's pretty much hands off in ke flight and should have none to very little wing rock. Doing harrier's takes a lot of practice, it looks deceptively easy when watching someone do it if they have practiced and refined the skills. It just takes a lot of practice and pretty soon it's instinctive. It requires the right amount of throttle and elevator to just stay on the edge of stall and not fall out, and a very light touch on the rudder to not cause wing rock. Wing rock can also be caused by the incorrect aoa and this is where the elevator and throttle management come into play as well. Just keep at it and in no time you'll have it down.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
3 days and no reply from BVRC on my AX motor that lasted two flights. I do not think this motor is supposed to handle 4 cell. Looking inside the windings are cooked. I have a spare Omega 130g going in its place for now.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:26 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
3 days and no reply from BVRC on my AX motor that lasted two flights. I do not think this motor is supposed to handle 4 cell. Looking inside the windings are cooked. I have a spare Omega 130g going in its place for now.
I'm running the Omega on both my MXS and Edge and it works very well with a 3s 2200 mah batt and either a 13x6.5 or a 14x7 APC prop.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy