Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Low KE passes yesterday over the runway. Nice and straight. I started about 10 feet and worked it down to about 12-18 inches. Practice, practice, practice. I need to learn some new tricks now, this plane makes me look better than I am, its a good confidence builder. Problem is my other planes are probably going to suffer a painful death due to this confidence.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:48 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
Low KE passes yesterday over the runway. Nice and straight. I started about 10 feet and worked it down to about 12-18 inches. Practice, practice, practice. I need to learn some new tricks now, this plane makes me look better than I am, its a good confidence builder. Problem is my other planes are probably going to suffer a painful death due to this confidence.
That's a problem not so bad.

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
If you guys have any 4S 2200 or smaller and a suitable motor,consider trying it.
Obviously the weight goes up,but the power does as well,great for high energy moves and impressive verticals.I was using a cheapo Turnigy 35-48,but the bearings are shot in it,so I decided to go back to the Bestvaluerc 820kv motor.I couldn't get the grunt I was after on 3s,even with a 14x7,so I slapped on a 12x6 and chucked in a 2200 4S.Woohooo!
I suspect that the kv of this motor may be lower than that though,as the amps were still a manageable 33 or so,but plenty of power and less torque effect from the 14x7,motor only warm also.I tempted to try a 13x6.5 to see how it goes.
You can feel the extra weight,but the power is addictive.A 1600 or 1800 4S would be the ducks guts I reckon.
I still like the plane on 3S and I swap motors all the time on my Extra 300 and MXS,but if you have the lipos,give it a shot,as the reduced amp draw (but higher volts),gives longer flights and less stress on the lipos,speedy and motor.
Bleary.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
I am using an 800kv motor, and was thinking of buying some 2200 4S since the power on 3S is only what I would call acceptable. I wonder if I could still manage to swing the 14x7 with the 4S on this motor? Your thoughts?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
México, YUC, Mérida
Joined Jul 2007
271 Posts
Hi I think It would be very exciting to fly this bird on 4S, but care to much power can generate flutter in the control surfaces of this kind of plane, and also the hinges are not very strong and any control surface may break loose easily.

Well I lost complete elevator from this bird just flying with 3S, 14X7 and an old reaper 870 KV and you know what happened, so I wont fly it with 4S, but anyway good luck.
QUEBRANTAHUESOS is offline Find More Posts by QUEBRANTAHUESOS
Last edited by QUEBRANTAHUESOS; Sep 11, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
I am using an 800kv motor, and was thinking of buying some 2200 4S since the power on 3S is only what I would call acceptable. I wonder if I could still manage to swing the 14x7 with the 4S on this motor? Your thoughts?
I don't think so,your amps would be very high,which kind of defeats the purpose.
You may get away with a 13 inch prop,but test it first.
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the performance of the 12x6 and it has the added bonus of more ground clearance.On a 14x7,I was forever having prop strikes due to my rough landings and flexy gear.
Regarding flutter,I didn't see any and I did a few few throttle snaps and walls etc.I accept that it is a risk,but I am not after screaming top speed,rather acceleration and pullout as well as crash avoidance power!
I was more concerned with blowback and deflection of control surfaces due to the extra weight,which is definitely happening at higher speeds,you just have to fly accordingly.
If I could justify the cost,I would get a Scorpion like GJ uses for the efficiency on 3S,however I gave the 4S a go and was pleasantly surprised.
YMMV.
Cheers,
Bleary.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
I'm with you. I want a little more climb out power for bailing out of trouble, not really look for speed, though just a little would be welcome. I too am busting props, about every other time I go to the field I shred a $10 Xoar 14x7. Think I will order up some 4S 2200's and some 13x6's since I run the lower KV motor this would be a good compromise. Agree?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:24 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Test the amps and motor temps and you will know for sure,should be okay I think.
If I was buying 4S batteries I would go for 1800's to try and keep the weight down a bit as it is noticeable over 3S.Your flight times may be reduced a bit,but you will be dragging around less weight.4S 2200 are a little porky,but I had a couple spare to use.
Good luck,
Bleary.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Apr 2009
14 Posts
4s power

since i started flying SW 48 the combo 820kv on 1800nano 4s 65c or 45c prop 13x6.5 or 13x4 also tried 14x7 what i use in all SW models
going to try a 146g 600kv 800w 4s motor which looks 14x7 thru 15x8 on a WM 330lx
Prodigious is offline Find More Posts by Prodigious
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:53 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Your first sounds like a great setup,however I wonder about a 600kv? maybe more of a 5S setup,plus 15' props are getting pretty big for a 48' plane.I run a 15x7 on my PA Extra MX on 6S and I think the PA motor is around 500kv.
Let us know how you go though.
Bleary.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:47 AM
Deutschland, BY, Augsburg
Joined Nov 2010
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
Just curious, what motor, esc and prop combo are you running? Your AUW must be pretty light with a 1600mAh. Do you find it alright or too floaty?
The Plane goes realy nice and the CE was at 127mm behind the Nose.
Heres my Setup
http://www.upsidedownrc.com/epages/6...ucts/LC3542-6T
with 14x7 APC and 100a Skywing ESC. I like to fly it not so havy
Schrottflyer is offline Find More Posts by Schrottflyer
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
14 Posts
4s power

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
If you guys have any 4S 2200 or smaller and a suitable motor,consider trying it.
Obviously the weight goes up,but the power does as well,great for high energy moves and impressive verticals.I was using a cheapo Turnigy 35-48,but the bearings are shot in it,so I decided to go back to the Bestvaluerc 820kv motor.I couldn't get the grunt I was after on 3s,even with a 14x7,so I slapped on a 12x6 and chucked in a 2200 4S.Woohooo!
I suspect that the kv of this motor may be lower than that though,as the amps were still a manageable 33 or so,but plenty of power and less torque effect from the 14x7,motor only warm also.I tempted to try a 13x6.5 to see how it goes.
You can feel the extra weight,but the power is addictive.A 1600 or 1800 4S would be the ducks guts I reckon.
I still like the plane on 3S and I swap motors all the time on my Extra 300 and MXS,but if you have the lipos,give it a shot,as the reduced amp draw (but higher volts),gives longer flights and less stress on the lipos,speedy and motor.
Bleary.
+1 1800 4s on a 820kv 13x6.5 with throttle manage flys for 7-9min sport or 4 1/2min hard 3d wot
so agreed better efficiancyis the way cells over amps somthing i learned with hv systems years ago on helis before hv was mainstream so its slowly hitting airplane side i see
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Apr 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
Your first sounds like a great setup,however I wonder about a 600kv? maybe more of a 5S setup,plus 15' props are getting pretty big for a 48' plane.I run a 15x7 on my PA Extra MX on 6S and I think the PA motor is around 500kv.
Let us know how you go though.
Bleary.
well this motor is rated for 4s 800w 146g with all gear it is 176g and i want to try a 15x7-8 i suspect the watts will go up and thrust will increase 1500g-1??? i already have 60esc as my WM 330lx is tail modded already didnt want to add dead weight so a stronger motor is what i was looking for to swing a 15x7 rather than a heavier motor for a 13x6.5 14x7 to be in the 170g range for proper cg when my 130g swings that already so looking for a light 15x7 swinging motor just hope it doesnt torq turn me on throttle and if no luck will try 700kv depending on results what do you think? cheers
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:29 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has a spare wing spar to sell, I'm referring to the cf tube that goes in the wings through the fuse. I didn't realize I dropped mine in the street when loading my plane the other day and by the time I realized it and went back for it, it had been run over several times and is pretty much toast. Thanks, Les.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:01 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Les, you can get one from bestvaluerc.com

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=22
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet