SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:02 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Max one other thing I was looking at the pics of the red and black Edge. What are the colors of the underside of the wing? Your site has pics of the underside of the green Edge, which is no loger available I take it.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:08 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Gerald, take a look at the pics here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=18
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:43 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Gerald, take a look at the pics here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=18
Doh! Dont I feel like a big dummy! Thanks Scott. The black under the red and black looks nice, but I think I prefer the RWB.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:29 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Well, here is my maiden report on the MXS. Keep in mind I am still new to 3D and pretty much have a limited range so far, and very little precision. I flew 7 packs today, just got home and wanted to give a little review.

I set it up like this:

motor esc combo

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...45a-combo.html

adequate power with a 14x7 Xoar Electric wood prop, running a 3S 2200, would be better on 4S, not as good as the Omega 130g I have on another plane, but good none the less, and the combo is less than just the Omega motor, esc is nice looking, good heat sink on it, wires a little short on the battery side. Has an on/off switch, does not work for me since I am using a separate bec to up the servo voltage.

Hitec HS65mg's x 4

Castle Creations 10amp BEC, so I can crank the voltage to the HS65's up to 6.1v

Spektrum DX7 & AR7000, overkill, but I had one laying around

I need to put on the 3D arms for the servo's, I think I might be getting some blow back because of the way I had to setup to achieve 45 degree throws.

I ran 7 packs through today, getting about 5 mins, with packs coming down 10.6v and about 80-85 discharged. They are Turnigy 2200 3S and came down warm and slightly puffed. But they are getting a little old. Motor was only warm after one pack, hot after two packs back to back. Landing is easy, but keep a little power on until the last second, not as floaty as I would have thought.

Knife edge is amazing, almost no coupling at all. Was able to do some hovering, but need to dial in a little more, keep falling out of hover. Did tons of KE, and figured out how to KE spin today. Flat spins like no other, harrier is ok, with minimal wing rocking. Can elevator well if CG is neutral to slightly rearward. All in all I like it a lot. I took the MXS and my 3DHS Edge 540 48" to the field today, the Edge stayed in the truck. I couldn't stop flying the MXS. Got some nice lower KE passes in, chipped the prop on one bouncy landing, and the rubber came off one wheel in another landing, probably because of the 90 degree crosswind, and walk it in sideways kind of landing. I found it and popped it back on.

The only con's I can think of are the wing attachment sucks. Rubber bands, really? I zipped tied it, and plan to leave them on, it just fits in the back seat of my truck. Also all four of my SFG balsa blocks came unglued from the inside of the wing, two of them broke, so I had to glue on the SFG's. Kind of sucks, I was super careful with the screws, just seems like crap balsa used here, and not enough glue. The two that broke delaminated. The other two just twisted out.

Also the motor included in the combo on Best Value is not so good. I dumped it in my parts box. It appears it climbed out of its box inside the airplane box in transit and all the mounting screws made their escape. The bearings sound questionable too so I didn't use it. I might give it a go later since its 850kv vs. the 800kv I have in place now, that is if I can find some screws for it. The collet is also pretty cheap and not centered well. Save your money, get a better motor. The Gens Ace I referenced above is nicely made for the price, or get an Omega, I have been seriously impressed by the 130G I have in another plane.

I would give this plane a 8/10. Which may sound harsh, but I do really like it. Just the motor and the trouble with the SFG's was a little frustrating. Also mine came a little smashed, I send two emails to add double boxing like 30 seconds after ordering, but never received a reply, so kind of my fault, but would have been more than willing to pay for the added protection. When I first got the box, I thought great, the plane is probably mangled. Lucky for me it was not, just a little smashed. Would I buy it again? Absolutely, and would recommend it to anyone wanting a good, inexpensive plane to learn 3D with.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Last edited by StickHack; Sep 05, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
MXS will be in stock in about a week.
How many MXS's will you have available?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:19 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Leave some for the rest of us
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Today my left counterbalance on the elevator broke. It happened during flight. I was beating on it pretty good. The carbon stops a couple inches from the end of the counterbalance. It broke right at the end of the carbon. I fixed it with CA and a couple toothpicks. This is turning out to not be as durable as I thought.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:28 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
You also have to consider a large part of an airframes durability is also determined by the ease with which it is repaired. It does seem unusual for this to happen in flight, perhaps it was damaged in a landing previously but finally failed in flight. I also snapped a balance tab on my elevator but it was first started when I took off in grass and it got caught in the grass. I figure this is what caused the failure when I found a piece of grass wedged in the elevator still, even though it failed in flight. I also repaired it with first foam safe ca on the depron, then smeared a little Welders over the top of the EPP and then for good measure I put a piece of Blenderm tape over the crack as well. All in all took less than ten minutes and it's good as new.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Possibly. Buy if the carbon spar was just a little longer it would not have broken here. It's a high stress area, they should lengthen the carbon. Just saying. The CA toothpicks should hold it. Until I break the other side. I think I'll reinforce it just to be safe.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:11 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
Possibly. Buy if the carbon spar was just a little longer it would not have broken here. It's a high stress area, they should lengthen the carbon. Just saying. The CA toothpicks should hold it. Until I break the other side. I think I'll reinforce it just to be safe.
Yeah, it sure wouldn't have hurt and definitely wouldn't increase the cost of the plane. Come to think of it, I think I'll add the carbon to mine as well. Hopefully it won't cause the elevator to get pulled out if it snags the grass again. I'll keep posted on this.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:55 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Personally, I would not add carbon there. I've never broken one unless it caught on the ground and that's been very rare. It's easy to fix and is much better than transferring the stress to another part of the airframe where the damage may not be so easy to repair.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:26 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Leave some for the rest of us
no problem. Probably won't get anyway...got my eye on a 50cc that should wipe out the hobby budget for some time
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:50 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Max,

Is skywing ever planning on releasing a 48" version of the Edge?

Always love the Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
Hi Gerald,

I've just done the refund via PayPal. Please check your email for a notification from PayPal. The shipping difference is $13.10 according to my calculation. If you think my calculation is not right, please let me know.

The 39" Edge has just been upgraded and is now available for ordering.

MXS will be in stock in about a week.

Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,

Max
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:14 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
Max,

Is skywing ever planning on releasing a 48" version of the Edge?

Always love the Edges
Hi xzuberance,

Look here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727542

Cheers,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:19 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I am getting 50 this time.

There are already a few of them (of all color schemes) available on BestValueRC.

Cheers,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda