HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:25 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
I like the spinner and the pants. Def going to try those. I took the front engine mount square off, so the spinner will help hide that and still get plenty of cooling.
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learning Turnarounds
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:32 AM
Porro et Sursum
Australia, New South Wales, Lismore
Joined Oct 2010
173 Posts
Hey Max I noticed the EMS rates have more than doubled in 6 months.

My last order was $35 for freight via EMS to Nth NSW, and the new quote was $75 for the same weight/destination.

Ouch. Why have HK post gone so hard on the price rise?

I was about to order and noticed the freight was as much as the airframe.

As to the spinner talk, won't the motor overheat?

IIRC, most of the experts on this thread were of the opinion it would retard cooling and contribute significantly to a burnt motor.

So has this advice now changed?

IMHO the MXS looks much better with the spinner.
Flying V is offline Find More Posts by Flying V
Last edited by Flying V; Aug 12, 2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:46 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
I cut away the front epp square. Now have heaps of cooling power. Not sure if it would affect motor wihout doing this, but others have said a spinner might
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learning Turnarounds
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:13 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
Mine is almost done, just have to do the linkages and get my settings and it's good to go. This airplane has got to be the easiest build I've ever done. So much of the assembly is already done, I especially like the fact that the hinges are half installed, nice touch. And the tail wheel, what a nice easy setup. I won't get it finished unti this afternoon since I have a couple other projects I need to fly early this morning. But I can't wait to get the MXS in the air. I decided to just use the stock gear as is since no one seems to have any problems with them and I didn't want to make them too stiff so they tear the lg plate up. If this thing flies as nice as it looks, I may just be selling off some nice balsa planes.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:28 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Mine is almost done, just have to do the linkages and get my settings and it's good to go. This airplane has got to be the easiest build I've ever done. So much of the assembly is already done, I especially like the fact that the hinges are half installed, nice touch. And the tail wheel, what a nice easy setup. I won't get it finished unti this afternoon since I have a couple other projects I need to fly early this morning. But I can't wait to get the MXS in the air. I decided to just use the stock gear as is since no one seems to have any problems with them and I didn't want to make them too stiff so they tear the lg plate up. If this thing flies as nice as it looks, I may just be selling off some nice balsa planes.
My prediction is that you're gonna love it and this will be your "never leave home without it bird". Once you get cg and trimmings right, this thing flies like it's on rails. Good luck with the maiden
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:41 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
I'll be reporting later for sure unless the weather goes to heck. But the forecast looks real good so it shouldn't be a problem. For me so far the only thing that I'm not too keen on is the wing retention system, but I do have some small heavy o-rings and my tool for putting them on my small foamy prop savers that seems to work ok so it should be fine. I did have to use three of them to get it nice and snug but I'm going to check the hardware store for some smaller heavier ones so all it will take is one ring if possible.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:17 AM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
I'll be reporting later for sure unless the weather goes to heck. But the forecast looks real good so it shouldn't be a problem. For me so far the only thing that I'm not too keen on is the wing retention system, but I do have some small heavy o-rings and my tool for putting them on my small foamy prop savers that seems to work ok so it should be fine. I did have to use three of them to get it nice and snug but I'm going to check the hardware store for some smaller heavier ones so all it will take is one ring if possible.
It doesn't really take all that much force on the hooks. In fact, excessive tension is just likely to break something. I use three thin rubber bands of differing colours, so I can check whether each of them is intact before a day's flying. There's probably less than 1kg tension (10N) between the hooks, and the wings have never showed the slightest sign of wanting to come off.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:13 AM
Porro et Sursum
Joined Oct 2010
173 Posts
A couple or three rubber bands are all you need, or use a cable tie and cut it off when you are done. Simple
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
Cool, thanks guys. It's all ready to go so I'm going to head out in a bit. I may have to tame down the rudder a bit @ 65 deg throw. I'm getting full throw on the elevator no problem and I have the ailerons @ 45 deg, which for me will probably need to be tamed down a bit. My AUW is 42.5 oz with everything in place and to balance @ 120 mm the batt is ahead of the wing tube about a half inch. For some reason I expected the batt to wind up further ahead so for maiden I moved it ahead a half inch just to be careful.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Cool, thanks guys. It's all ready to go so I'm going to head out in a bit. I may have to tame down the rudder a bit @ 65 deg throw. I'm getting full throw on the elevator no problem and I have the ailerons @ 45 deg, which for me will probably need to be tamed down a bit. My AUW is 42.5 oz with everything in place and to balance @ 120 mm the batt is ahead of the wing tube about a half inch. For some reason I expected the batt to wind up further ahead so for maiden I moved it ahead a half inch just to be careful.
Anxiously awaiting the maiden report on this one!
LandonK is offline Find More Posts by LandonK
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
Well for the most part the maiden was great. Unfortunately I got way too comfy with this plane right away and the stupid filter slipped a little too much. I've been flying my bigger planes mostly lately and forgot how snappy these little ones are, and this one is very snappy. On the second battery pack I did a snap to hover on take off and over snapped it and nosed in pretty hard. I will have to say the damage was relatively minor. Most of the damage was confined to the batt tray and it's all fixed easy. This plane just might lead a hard life, it's definitely going to see a lot of air time. No need for balsa with a plane like this, the only one I have that will outperform this thing is my EF MXS, and that thing is just such an animal it would be very hard to beat. In all aspects of flight this thing just rocks as far as extreme aerobatics and 3D. I think I like it a little better with the SFG's, to me it just feels a little more locked in but it definitely is awesome without them as well. I'm very very impressed and happy with this purchase.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:30 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying V View Post
Hey Max I noticed the EMS rates have more than doubled in 6 months.

My last order was $35 for freight via EMS to Nth NSW, and the new quote was $75 for the same weight/destination.

Ouch. Why have HK post gone so hard on the price rise?

I was about to order and noticed the freight was as much as the airframe.

As to the spinner talk, won't the motor overheat?

IIRC, most of the experts on this thread were of the opinion it would retard cooling and contribute significantly to a burnt motor.

So has this advice now changed?

IMHO the MXS looks much better with the spinner.
Hi Flying V,

China EMS shipping cost has been more than doubled for shipping plane kits because the company decided to charge on the basis of dimensional weight if it is greater than the actual weight. The change was supposed to come on August 1 according to China EMS' earlier anouncement. It didn't until a few days later as a matter of fact.

China EMS rates were very good if we compare them with the rates of the equivalent service offered by Canada Post, for example. In addition, we got a 50% discount on China EMS rates and we passed the savings to our customers.

My understanding is that both USPS and Canada Post have had dimensionl-weight-based charging for a longtime and so have most commercial shipping companies such as UPS and DHL. I suspect that Australia Post also has. I'm guessing that China Post could offer better rates because of China's low labour costs, but this is bound to change or may already have changed.

Hong Kong Post won't accept airmail parcels longer than 1.05 meters if the destination is Australia. As a result, we cannot use Hong Kong Post's airmail parcel service to ship 48-in airplane kits to Australia and our Australian customers cannot enjoy the good airmail parcel rates of Hong Kong Post. We have found the best alternative for our Australian custmers is China Post's airmail parcel service. We need to put China Post's airmail parcel rates into BestValueRC's database and do some coding work so as to offer a new shipping method. For now, we can use the method manually for our Australian customers.

===============>So much for the shipping cost hike.

For the use of the spinner, I agree that there is a price to pay. The plane would be heavier and the cooling of the motor affected. I accepted these disadvantages and went for the better look with the spinner. I have had dozens of flights with my MXS with the spinner and the motor seems to have held up well so far.

Best regards,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:25 AM
Porro et Sursum
Joined Oct 2010
173 Posts
Thanks for that. I was quite surprised at those new rates for EMS, so cheers for the info update.
So what is the cost for 3kg( eg the 48 inch extra and some wing tubes and spats.) via Ch air parcel and about how long is the China air parcel expected to take? eg two weeks etc.

Oh and do you recommend extra packaging.

Thanks Feda
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:33 AM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
271 Posts
Hello all
I have just joined the band having enjoyed the Telink SU29 for some time. I have just received the package which was all in good order -- a bit compressed in the middle top but the bottom all straight. As always I immediately checked the alignment of all parts. The wings, ailerons and tail surfaces are all dead straight, but the fuselage has a distinct bend to the right starting at the rear end of the cockpit area. I have tried to attach some photos. I got 2 shots only (camera then packed up), but they do demonstrate the twist. If someone could advise, is this within the tolerance limits for this plane. As noted I wanted to photograph both sides to show the gap between the straight edge(spirit level) and the rear of the fuselage, but unfortunately could only get the L side. The gap at the end of the level is about 11mm on the left and 5mm on the right. My impression is that it will have a strong tendency to fly to the right.

The photo should show how the carbon spar on the right is straight (take my word that it is straight!), but the left one bends to the planes right side. All the plywood, EPP and spars are firmly bonded, and together with only one carbon spar having the bend, this all points to a manufacturing issue. The whole skeleton is very stiff and strong, so it should not be able to bend without something breaking. Also, as noted the box showed absolutely no sign of being pushed in, and if this did happen, both carbon spars would be expected to have the bend, if there was a chance that this strong structure could bend.

Help please.

PS I got my order in just before EMS doubled the price
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Last edited by unhinged; Aug 13, 2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add a comment
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying V View Post
Thanks for that. I was quite surprised at those new rates for EMS, so cheers for the info update.
So what is the cost for 3kg( eg the 48 inch extra and some wing tubes and spats.) via Ch air parcel and about how long is the China air parcel expected to take? eg two weeks etc.

Oh and do you recommend extra packaging.

Thanks Feda
I received mine via China EMS/ USPS, delivery was about two weeks from placing the order. Ordered just before the shipping price increase. I paid for the extra packing but did not notice that anything extra about it. I think it is just basically insurance.

Got started on the build, just the motor mounting/reinforcement part. Gorilla Glue painted on the motorbox and LG boxes. Just sliced the EPP open to expose ethe area to be worked on. Motrolfly DM2815-1100 with a ZTW 50A ESC. HS65MG in the tail. HS65HB in the ailerons. Used Welders (very lightly) for the aileron hinges. Still have to mount the landing gear/ tail wheel and glue up the tail surfaces, then do the tail hinges.

Really impressed with the quality of the ply/CF skeleton looks very sturdy. I also like how the interior is more accessible.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34