HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2011, 04:33 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,913 Posts
Congrats stevelmaa and feda on your maidens .

I flew another 6 packs in my MXS today. I flew 4 packs at lunchtime in moderate wind. It seemed to handle wind similarly to a PA Katana MD, Extra 260 or Ultimate AMR, meaning OK but not as well as heavier planes. I flew another 2 packs after work in failing light with no wind and it was just superb. Flying in the wind is OK but flying in low or no wind is much better IMHO.

Today I tried the plane with and without the SFGs and I definitely prefer the plane with them attached.

I need to get myself some of those thick rubber bands that nac is using; a few of the supplied ones have broken already.

A work mate came down to the park with me at lunchtime to see the plane fly. He loved it and wants to buy one but he told me that when he visited bestvaluerc.com to look at the Skywing products, all of the MXS kits were sold out! Is this true feda? If so, are Skywing still on track to have more kits produced by the end of May?

I have another video ready for uploading to Vimeo, but it wouldn't be fair on the people that haven't bought one of these great kits yet to post the video with the kits sold out, would it?
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2011, 06:09 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
I have another video ready for uploading to Vimeo, but it wouldn't be fair on the people that haven't bought one of these great kits yet to post the video with the kits sold out, would it?

They'll live mate - we NEED the video!
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old May 09, 2011, 06:13 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
I thought I would test out the crash durability today for you guys

I hit the ground reasonably hard when a knife edge roll got too low.
I walked up to the crash site expecting a total mess, but the plane looked fine except for the wing coming out off place. But a closer examination revealed that the wood box had broken in a number of places. The EPP also tends to separate from the wood.

But some medium CA and about 5min work it is all ready for another flight

I reckon a similar crash would have caused extensive damage to a Balsa.
Bad luck Nac - Looks like a cinch to fix though compared to removing covering and playing 3D puzzles with matchsticks and CA...
Old May 09, 2011, 08:21 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Congrats stevelmaa and feda on your maidens .

I need to get myself some of those thick rubber bands that nac is using; a few of the supplied ones have broken already.

Is this true feda? If so, are Skywing still on track to have more kits produced by the end of May?

Thanks, groovejet.

I noticed the rubber bands from Skywing were aged when I put my MXS together. I reported this to Skywing and they promised to supply new rubber bands in their future batches of the product.

My approach to this is to use multiple thin rubber bands rather than one thick rubber band. I figure multiple thin bands will provide not only sufficient force to pull the wing halves together but also redundancy so that one broken band won't lead to a catastrophic crash. One more thing, stretch-test the rubber band before you use it.

I also noticed the push rod stoppers in the kit were of low quality. One of the screws got broken when I tightened them. Skywing also promised to provide better stoppers with their new products.

Yes, groovejet, the first batch of MXS kits are sold out, and Skywing's production plans are on track. They are busy producing their 49-in SBach 342 right now, which is updated to utilize the same techniques that they developed for the MXS.

Cheers,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old May 10, 2011, 03:16 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion on this motor and esc for this plane?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_4402wt_1136

Thanks.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old May 10, 2011, 10:10 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on this motor and esc for this plane?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_4402wt_1136

Thanks.

Bob
Hi Bob,

This motor could be too heavy. You could have a hard time to get the right CG if you use this motor in the MXS. Take a look at the attached photo. I'm using a 110-gram motor and have plenty of space in front the battery. As you can see, there is not that much space behind the battery.

Max
Old May 10, 2011, 10:37 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
I think a motor that is between 130g and 150g works best.

The motor that i am using is 130g (with accessories) and I have my 2200 lipo all the way forward.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old May 11, 2011, 05:37 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,913 Posts
Bob,

I'm using a 142g motor (without accessories) and I have my 185g lipo about 3cm in front of the CF wing tube. It's good to have some headroom in case weight is added due to repairs.

Ben,

I uploaded the new video to Vimeo and it was standard definition only so I have hidden it from view. My Vimeo upload quota will reset on Saturday and then I can provide a high definition version so hang in there and it'll be available in a few days .
Last edited by groovejet; May 11, 2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added video comment
Old May 11, 2011, 09:12 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
I've ordered the same motor as you Nac and will be using 1800 40C packs. Might need a spinner to get correct COG...

Sounds good Groove - looking forward to seeing it!
Old May 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
I think a motor that is between 130g and 150g works best.

The motor that i am using is 130g (with accessories) and I have my 2200 lipo all the way forward.
OK, I'm with you on the weight of the motor. How many watts do you think is needed in order to get decent pull out of a hover?

Will this one work? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14733

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Last edited by rmgmag; May 11, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 04:30 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,913 Posts
Quote:
OK, I'm with you on the weight of the motor. How many watts do you think is needed in order to get decent pull out of a hover?

Bob
Bob, that's the motor that nac is using and blxpy has ordered. Check back a few pages for nac's thoughts on using the motor with various props.

Personally I feel that 450w+ with a suitable prop is the place to be if you want strong vertical performance . More efficient motors of around 400w minimum should work well too.
Old May 11, 2011, 04:33 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:

Bob
That is the motor I have now. I have a 40A Plush ESC and either 12x6e or 13x4e prop. Drawing around 40A, 450w from 2200 20C lipo's.
I am not getting ballistic performance, but good enough to get around the park. My maximum thrust to weight ratio is around 1.75. It will hover at a bit over half throttle. I will climb out and go vertical but only slowly.

I am going to try a 12x3.8sf APC prop soon, to see if I can get better performance.

I think that this plane really needs around 2.1kg of thrust to perform well, my setup is getting around 1.9kg.

Still looking....Cheap under 150g motor that I can run a 13x6.5e APC prop and get around 2.2kg thrust....Any ideas?
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Last edited by nac; May 11, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:28 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Finally got to fly day before yesterday in calm conditions. Plane flies smooth. KE's are true, hoverings easy, KE spins are simple, tumbles like a balsa plane, tracks great, has enough weight to it to have momentum in most maneuvers. Really like it. Had to redo the landing gear however. Cut back the EPP covering along the seams right behind the landing gear plate, pulled it back and added 4 thin ply wedges and gorilla glued them in, along with some gorilla glue in the actual landing gear insert itself. Also bent the wire slightly forward. Can't tell I did anything but the landing gear feels much stronger now. I fly off of grass and that was one thing I seemed to have to worry about with this landing gear, now hopefully it'll take a little bit of abuse.
Steve
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Last edited by stevelmaa; May 12, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:37 AM
Joined Nov 2007
167 Posts
Anywhere have these instock currently?
k5beason is offline Find More Posts by k5beason
Old May 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5beason View Post
Anywhere have these instock currently?
No, I don't think so. They are sold out worldwide. The next shipment is expected at the end of the month.

feda