HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Guys, can anyone offer some advice

My sniper fly's to the UC when in KE from right to left but pulls to the Canopy when flying KE left to right.. What's the story?

Edit- Both directions are canopy in
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Last edited by Two Dogs Dave; May 28, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 09:38 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
Another option is to get airframe only and put a motrolfly DM2815-950 on. You can get motrolflys from scmodels (oz distributor). I think they cost $50-55 and postage is free. That motor is tried and tested by abuse, and would be a good fit on a 48" 3dhs frame, if you decide to move on to that later. I reckon the motor would be good on a PA kmd or edge 260 as well.
Thanks, we have decided to get the combo as it was only $15 more than the frame and if we don't like the motors we can just swap it out.

Were getting the new Yak's, can't wait, gonna be a great practice plane.

only decision now is what servo's.
Lojik is online now Find More Posts by Lojik
Old May 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Re the trimming issue I found some nice info here
I think my Sniper is was out of square
Old May 29, 2012, 01:45 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,454 Posts
Two dogs, what servos you using on yours?
Old May 29, 2012, 01:54 AM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Logic, I went the budget option and bought the Hk Mg14's from the Aussie Warehouse.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:03 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dogs Dave View Post
Logic, I went the budget option and bought the Hk Mg14's from the Aussie Warehouse.
What are they like, do they center ok? I'm happy to go budget as long as they work ok.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:22 AM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Im not sure lojic but people in here have used them with good results.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:04 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Guys, the MG14's are pretty good and centre sell for the $$.

You will find if you crash a lot and/or do a lot of rudder draggin that they get a little jitter around centre at that point. Simple to replace and cheap to carry a stack of spares.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old May 29, 2012, 03:10 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Guys, the MG14's are pretty good and centre sell for the $$.

You will find if you crash a lot and/or do a lot of rudder draggin that they get a little jitter around centre at that point. Simple to replace and cheap to carry a stack of spares.
Seconded. They (MG14s) are great value for money, and they are a good fit for this plane. It's a low-and-dirty 3D machine, and not a precision pattern flyer, so robustness is arguably more important than repeatability.

Having said that, the last servo that died on me (in another plane) was a HS-5065MG that cost around four times as much as an MG14. A few light-duty flights, and the 5065 on the elevator stopped responding. At least it happened on the ground while I was testing, and not in the air.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 29, 2012, 03:13 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
H2SO4, the aileron control horns used to be wood covered in sorta tracing paper-like stuff like a thin CA hinge, but for a while now they've been the same plastics ones as always used on the tail surfaces. I think my first Skywing kit that used the new plastic was my custom job blue and orange kit from November 2011.
Thanks GJ. That's the bit of info I was missing. My v2.0 MXS from mid-2011 still had the ply aileron horns.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 29, 2012, 03:38 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,913 Posts
Yep, the MG14 servos are a good fit to these large EPP planes. You will find yourself taking risks that you would never dream of taking with your balsas planes, so the servos will take a pounding. The MG14 servos are so cheap that you just rip them out and replace then when needed.

Dave, I used to have a version 1 Hyperion Sniper and it was one of my worst planes at the time for knife edge. If I tried to slow it down in knife edge it would squirm and head for the ground every time. Anyway, the only fixes I can suggest for your Sniper are to program a rudder to elevator mix or else just fly it out on the sticks.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old May 29, 2012, 04:02 AM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Quote:

Dave, I used to have a version 1 Hyperion Sniper and it was one of my worst planes at the time for knife edge. If I tried to slow it down in knife edge it would squirm and head for the ground every time. Anyway, the only fixes I can suggest for your Sniper are to program a rudder to elevator mix or else just fly it out on the sticks.
Hopefully my Skywing arrives this week and puts me outta my misery

On a side note..I put my 45a Turnigy trust on the scales and got 54g without a battery plug. I suppose a few extra grams on this size plane won't matter much
Old May 29, 2012, 04:15 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Yep, the MG14 servos are a good fit to these large EPP planes. You will find yourself taking risks that you would never dream of taking with your balsas planes, so the servos will take a pounding. The MG14 servos are so cheap that you just rip them out and replace then when needed.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

are these them?

just asking as the reviews from the US stock are horrible, surprised they passed the "hobbyking" filter
Old May 29, 2012, 07:58 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Yep, them are the servos.

You can take some reviews with a grain of salt and always, always look for second or third opinions.

I wouldn't use them in a balsa plane, I tried them in the Hobbyking 51" slick on the ailerons and within 3 flights (no crashes) they were both stripped. And on the skywing planes as I said the only non-crash related issues I've had with them is on rudder from tail dragging and bashing etc.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old May 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Yep, them are the servos.

You can take some reviews with a grain of salt and always, always look for second or third opinions.

I wouldn't use them in a balsa plane, I tried them in the Hobbyking 51" slick on the ailerons and within 3 flights (no crashes) they were both stripped. And on the skywing planes as I said the only non-crash related issues I've had with them is on rudder from tail dragging and bashing etc.
Well I guess it's an option and at that price if they are not what I like its not a big loss