SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 27, 2012, 05:50 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Thanks guys .

Thanks for the tips on using non-CA glues on the control horns Roger. I don't use thin CA on the control horns. It's medium CA for me, and I have only had mishaps when I have been careless. I tried thick CA on my last build but doing a test pull as I do on all my planes to test these sorts of things for security, I managed to loosen one, so I re-did in using medium CA. I've considered using 3M Scotch a few times, but I didn't want to be the first to test whether it works well enough joining wood and the soft plastic that the control horns are made of . Like you, I only use thin CA on these planes to strengthen the wood in key areas, though I generally use medium CA to attach the horizontal stabiliser, since I prefer to spend a lot of time carefully aligning it and then locking it in place quickly with medium CA and kicker.

BTW Nac and I went flying today and did more video camera tests, so we have even more video footage to post at some stage. We are getting better video results after a few tweaks, though some of the improvements are lost on Vimeo due to it re-encoding the video at 720P. I had 2 MXS planes with me today, including my blue and orange MXS. I hadn't flown that one for a while; not sure how long exactly. After a couple of flights it was pretty clear that there was a problem with the motor, so I put it aside and flew the red and blue MXS that you guys are gonna see over and over in plenty more videos. Anyway, here's a photo that shows what was wrong with the blue and orange MXS.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 06:04 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
H2so4, thanks for the links to determining real c values. Now understand why my Flightmax batts puff up after some bashing on the mxs, particular now in the cooler months.
No problem at all. My wife would probably describe it as a character flaw, but I find that I rather enjoy the battery management aspect of this hobby. I've got spreadsheets, measurement devices, chargers, dischargers, little labels with the salient details on each battery... bliss.

That IR-based comparison framework by jj604, mforsyth, and Wayne Giles is really very good IMHO. Those guys sure know their stuff.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 27, 2012, 06:11 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
I've considered using 3M Scotch a few times, but I didn't want to be the first to test whether it works well enough joining wood and the soft plastic that the control horns are made of
Are the control horns (on the ailerons) really plastic? To me they seemed like a dense wood laminate, with a porous covering layer for thin CA to wick through.

The rear ones are obviously plastic of some sort, but they seem to be primarily held by the mechanical clamping action of their rear plate.

I'm intrigued as to why anyone would use a flexible foam glue in this location. Not saying it's wrong (I don't know) but just curious. Wouldn't the rigid bond afforded by solidified CA - or epoxy - be better in this region where even minute movements can result in control surface slop?
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 27, 2012, 06:23 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
H2SO4, the aileron control horns used to be wood covered in sorta tracing paper-like stuff like a thin CA hinge, but for a while now they've been the same plastics ones as always used on the tail surfaces. I think my first Skywing kit that used the new plastic was my custom job blue and orange kit from November 2011.

Despite Roger's experience giving me more confidence in 3M Scotch and Uhu Por being OK on the plastic aileron control horns, I'm gonna stick to using medium CA on the rear surfaces and either be more careful with medium CA on the aileron horns or else try epoxy on those.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old May 27, 2012, 07:19 AM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Geez I'm hangin' to fly this plane!
I appreciate all the glue talk fellas. Big chance I will get this plane together properly

Xzube, Spewing you weren't at PP this morning...I wanted to check out your Mxs again . I had the rolling rudder 'stir' happening today ( my skill level is more akin to .03D atm ) but due to coupling the Sniper flew rolling circles instead of going straight. Looked impressive but it wasn't really me doing it.. lol!

Groove..gonna have to catch up for a fly soon! Hope the weather next weekend delivers the goods
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Old May 27, 2012, 07:53 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Hi guys, thanks to Nac's generosity in shooting some video to test out a new video camera, I currently have quite a bit of Skywing MXS footage. Here's video #1.

http://vimeo.com/42883922
Awesome. Nice flying man...
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old May 27, 2012, 07:55 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
On the rear horns, they are held in by the mechanical clip but I figure a little glue will help hold the clip in just in case.

I glue the horizontal stab in these days with uhu or the 3M glue. Heaps of time to adjust, and no, I've never had issues with these bonds letting go in flight or crash mode.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old May 28, 2012, 06:33 PM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dogs Dave View Post
Xzube, Spewing you weren't at PP this morning...I wanted to check out your Mxs again . I had the rolling rudder 'stir' happening today ( my skill level is more akin to .03D atm ) but due to coupling the Sniper flew rolling circles instead of going straight. Looked impressive but it wasn't really me doing
was outa action with the flu last couple of days. Plus, I was kinda bz with assembling my first ever edf... It's rudeboy's fault for influencing me into jets :d

As regards your flying, I think you're much much better than you give yourself credit for. Have never seen anyone do ke close to the deck with a baby strapped on a pilot before... Now that's something!
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old May 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Anyone running their DM2815 on high timing? Mine is currently on medium and it feels sufficiently zippy already. Just wondering if I should switch to high timing.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:18 PM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
was outa action with the flu last couple of days. Plus, I was kinda bz with assembling my first ever edf... It's rudeboy's fault for influencing me into jets :d

As regards your flying, I think you're much much better than you give yourself credit for. Have never seen anyone do ke close to the deck with a baby strapped on a pilot before... Now that's something!
Good luck with the EDF!

My son is not old enough to kick the sticks yet so it is quite easy to fly with him Atm

The great vids on this thread from GrooveJ and BigR are good motivation for me to keep practicing! I hope to put a pack through the Sniper on the way to work today at Elder rd reserve in Watsonia. Just happen to find the reserve taking a short cut one day..Quite handy
Old May 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,467 Posts
Quick question guys, ordering two kits this arvo, is the combo motor worth getting?
Lojik is online now Find More Posts by Lojik
Old May 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
I ordered the combo Lojic. The guys reckon the 1000kv motor and the 13x6.5 are the goods
Old May 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,467 Posts
Quote:
I ordered the combo Lojic. The guys reckon the 1000kv motor and the 13x6.5 are the goods
Sweet bro, me and a mate want the new yak, might bring it to pp one day
Lojik is online now Find More Posts by Lojik
Old May 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
Quick question guys, ordering two kits this arvo, is the combo motor worth getting?
Another option is to get airframe only and put a motrolfly DM2815-950 on. You can get motrolflys from scmodels (oz distributor). I think they cost $50-55 and postage is free. That motor is tried and tested by abuse, and would be a good fit on a 48" 3dhs frame, if you decide to move on to that later. I reckon the motor would be good on a PA kmd or edge 260 as well.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Good luck with the EDF!

My son is not old enough to kick the sticks yet so it is quite easy to fly with him Atm

The great vids on this thread from GrooveJ and BigR are good motivation for me to keep practicing! I hope to put a pack through the Sniper on the way to work today at Elder rd reserve in Watsonia. Just happen to find the reserve taking a short cut one day..Quite handy
My plan for my maiden edf is not to crash! Fairly confident I can fly the jet, only worry is landing it.

You won't be disappointed with the sbach Dave. The skywings just inspires confidence. It almost seems to be on slow mo when I fall out of a manouvre, giving me ample time to get out of trouble. And yeah, groovejet's and Roger's videos just inspires me further.