HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 02:27 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
As for the batteries.

I have 10 of the 25C2200 and 12 of the 40C2200.

I fly pretty full on these days and I find its not so much about the weight but the voltage sag of the 25C I find is far more noticeable than the 40C. Also the 25C most are puffed and swollen and get very hot after 5-6 minutes of death floggs, where as the 40C don't seem to sag as much nor get puffy or any where near as hot.

I have some GensAce 25C2200 on their way to compare so that will be interesting.

MyIR readings on my Turnigy 40C versus the 25C is something like 7,4,7 versus 7,10,11 on the 25C. Thats measured on my iCharge 106B.

Props, APC 13x4 or 13x6.5 is the go for that motor.
The more amps you pull the more you will notice the lower C value lipo.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 02:43 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
MyIR readings on my Turnigy 40C versus the 25C is something like 7,4,7 versus 7,10,11 on the 25C.
Yeah, my numbers are also all over the place, but the 40C have definitely gone worse over time.

Best "40C": 4, 4, 3 milliohms - 26C in reality
Worst "40C": 9, 6, 8 mΩ - 17C in reality

Best "25C": 5, 5, 4 mΩ - 23C real
Worst "25C": 5, 6, 4 mΩ - 21C real
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 25, 2012, 06:03 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
How did you do your 'C" reality calc based on the IR numbers?

When I compare to the little GensAce I already have 25C3s1550 they read 5,5,6 so they are over the claimed 25C from my estimates, about 28C in reality and they really pack a punch compared to Turnigy 30C 3s1600 which read 6,6,9 so about 23C.
Old May 25, 2012, 06:56 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
How did you do your 'C" reality calc based on the IR numbers?
jj604's excellent thread on this subject provides lots of information, as well as a tool that can perform the calculation based on IR and capacity.

In essence, only the worst cell (the one with the highest IR) matters, since it'll be the first to cook off and start puffing. The other cells are connected in series, so they each see the exact same current (assuming we're not talking about parallel packs).

There's an online calculator as well: http://www.jj604.com/LiPoTool/
Old May 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
seems measurement device plays a big part as well.

Mine are always measured on my 106B iCharger and always are RT of around 22C.

Lets see what the Gens 25C3s2200 look like when they get here shortly.
Old May 26, 2012, 06:24 AM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Hey guys, my Skywing Sbach should be arriving next week and I was wondering what glues I should use for the build?

I am a pretty good butcher when it comes to building so I don't want to muck this one up! (I once built a HK Piaget with a fuselage a snake would be jealous of )
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Old May 26, 2012, 06:41 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dogs Dave View Post
Hey guys, my Skywing Sbach should be arriving next week and I was wondering what glues I should use for the build?
Uhu Por or jiao shui or that-Japanese-3M-stuff-BVRC-sells. Welder is great too, but not near the wings or the fins because they (internally) contain foam that Welder will eat.

Thin CA on the hinges.

Polyurethane in front of the landing gear slot - a layer at least 1 or 2cm thick.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:14 AM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Uhu Por or jiao shui or that-Japanese-3M-stuff-BVRC-sells. Welder is great too, but not near the wings or the fins because they (internally) contain foam that Welder will eat.

Thin CA on the hinges.

Polyurethane in front of the landing gear slot - a layer at least 1 or 2cm thick.
Ta H2SO4
Time to get clicking

Edit:I just ordered the 3M stuff from BVRC as well some of those nice carbon extension arms
Thanks again H2S04
Last edited by Two Dogs Dave; May 26, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,854 Posts
You're a wise man, Dave . The 3M Scotch 6225N glue is great stuff and the CF long servo arms really work well on these planes, allowing you to use a higher hole on the control horn for better pushrod geometry than you would have if you tried to get similar throws without the CF long arms.

I use the 3M Scotch 6226N glue to attach the control surfaces. I test-fit the control surface to ensure that the slots are deep enough and in the right position, then I add some glue either in the slot itself (ailerons and rudder) or on the CA hinge, before sliding it in place. Leave it for a few hours and you're good to go.

Very important: The main wing core is EPS (polystyrene), so be careful what glue you use in that area. You don't want a highly wickable glue like thin CA to wick through the EPP layer and then eat the EPS glue! If you use thin CA to strengthen wood servo mount screw threads then be very careful not to use too much glue that will eat your inner wing core alive if you give it the chance. Also be careful when working on the aileron control horns; too much CA glue here can lead to disaster. I've had a few mishaps due to careless CA behaviour, so this time I am considering using epoxy in this area (but first I need to confirm that is it EPS-friendly).

BTW 3M Scotch 6225N glue is OK to use on EPP, Depron, wood, carbon fibre etc, but it will eat EPS.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; May 26, 2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typos!
Old May 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,854 Posts
Lazy Sunday Afternoon #1

Hi guys, thanks to Nac's generosity in shooting some video to test out a new video camera, I currently have quite a bit of Skywing MXS footage. Here's video #1.

Skywing 48" MXS EPP - Lazy Sunday Afternoon #1 (2 min 44 sec)
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old May 26, 2012, 06:09 PM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Sweet vid Groovejet.
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Old May 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Thanks for the build tips Groove J

Nice flying too!
Old May 26, 2012, 09:26 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Groove,
those aileron control horns can be held in with the 3M or UHU glue.

I spread a little on both side of the horn and insert into the slot, never had one come out yet doing it that way, and a lot better then thin CA for sure.

The only place I use thin CA in these SW planes these days is in strengthening ply structures, seems to hold together a bit better and no more issues with CA wick damage to either the depron or eps cores of the surfaces.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,691 Posts
Groovejet!!!! Gettin' it on Great Flying.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old May 26, 2012, 10:22 PM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Dave, Gorilla glue works well too... Can be got from mitre10 now so you don't have to ship it in. Can't wait to see your sbach take to the sky

H2so4, thanks for the links to determining real c values. Now understand why my Flightmax batts puff up after some bashing on the mxs, particular now in the cooler months.

Great flying groovejet
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance