Old May 22, 2012, 04:38 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
LOL!... You're gonna enjoy this bird 2DD

Send Feda (Max) a PM or email on whether he has shipped it. He's great to deal with.

Roger... If I recall correctly, I remember you posting on the HK Slick thread that you ordered some Gens Ace batts from Hobbypartz. Well I ordered some too and they sent me an email asking for my credit card details and a copy of my driver's licence although I'm paying via PayPal. Did they ask you to provide the same thing as well?
No can do!! Defeats the entire purpose of using PayPal in the first place!
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 04:43 AM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Yea I thought they were the same, just handy to get one at short notice if I have to.
How soon did you guys receive your kits after ordering? I chose the Ems shipping.
I am not getting impatient or anything..
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Old May 22, 2012, 04:50 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,930 Posts
I'd say it'll take about 10 days from the time that you ordered. You'll probably get your tracking number emailed to you about 2-3 days after you ordered. The tracking numbers usually work well on the China EMS website, but sometimes the Australia Post website gives misleading info and you don't know it has arrived until it _has_ arrived.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old May 22, 2012, 05:29 AM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
10 days would be great!

I have been reading more through this thread and its great to read you guys have these Skywings flying straight and true during KE. I can't get my Sniper spot on no matter how much I tinker with it.
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Old May 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Hey Dave,
Looks like BigRoger and Groovejet have been taking care of your queries. FWIW, I reckon a 40A ESC should be the minimum for Skywing planes, while 60A may be a bit of an overkill (and weighty too).

I'm running a DM2815-950 motrolfly, CC Ice Lite 50 and APC 13x6.5 on my set up. RCHeliJC is running the same set up save for the ESC. I think his is a rebranded/clone ZTW.

Hey Big Rog/H2SO4, thanks for the leads on other Gens Ace sellers. The Oz seller's prices don't look all too attractive though, in addition to limited choices.

RCHeliJC, refused to give Hobbypartz credit card/licence information. Told them we either deal through PayPal or not at all.
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old May 22, 2012, 08:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
I also have a ZTW 85A clone in my 51" AJ slick and pull 70-80A no issues an boy that's got some punch.
Rog, do you reckon that ESC can handle up to 9 servos on 6s? The Freewing F/A18 I bought came with a ZTW 85A ESC with 5A SBEC. Interestingly, the manual for the ESC makes references to Thrust motors which tends to reaffirm my suspicion that PA's Quantum ESCs are really ZTWs... Am wondering if I should forget about the internal BEC and instal an external BEC
Old May 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Pray tell,where do you get the ZTW speedies?
Cheers,
Bleary
(Will recheck cg tomorrow BR,parents visiting from over west,lots of wine tasting going on...hic!)
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old May 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Bleary
You can get them here, once they restock
http://milehighrc.com/ESC.htm
Old May 22, 2012, 06:35 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Bleary, the ztw rebadge comes from here:
http://rc-castle.com/shop/index.php?cPath=70_77
The cyclone power is the same as the ztw and so far are faultless. You do need to do the throttle setup before you can get anything usefull out of it though. I made that mistake on the 85A esc and thought I had a dud, the supplier told me to do the throttle end points and its working fine.
My Motrolfly 3615-750 on vox 15x6 and 4s runs though it and it hardly gets warm.

Xube: as to the BEC for nine servos, thats a lot of current you need isn't it? You can try, but I'd feel more safe running a CC 10A BEC on the side to be sure. I'd also put in a cap on the Rx, if you have any spare ports to help with spikes.
The Cap won't give you voltage protection but it might smooth out the highs and lows a bit.

I find that on digital servos if I get any jittering that the cap can sometimes smooth that out a little.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old May 23, 2012, 04:37 AM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
Pray tell,where do you get the ZTW speedies?
Cheers,
Bleary
(Will recheck cg tomorrow BR,parents visiting from over west,lots of wine tasting going on...hic!)
Bleary,

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect that Maytech ESC (both v1 & V2) might be re-badged ZTW speedies. Check out http://www.xc-rc.com.au/
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Old May 23, 2012, 05:53 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
IMK,
I'd say your right as well.

They even have multi volt BEC outputs on the V2 versions, sweet.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old May 25, 2012, 12:11 AM
Israel, Netanya
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Setup recommandation

Hello people,

After some good advices from the guys here, I decided to buy me a MXS, before I get into balsa planes.

This thread is great, but so huge I kindda got lost.

So I'm about to order this combo package http://bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=311 and I have some questions about the setup.
Is the motor that comes with the combo an ideal fit for this plane?
ESC - HK SS Series 40-50A Is this ok?
Battery - Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C (188 grams) can I go any bigger?
Prop - I couldn't find many 13x6.5 at HK, just this one that is out-of-stock: APC Style Propeller 13x6.5 and also a carbon one (expensive...) will a 13x6 be ok Master Airscrew propeller 13x6
Servos - with those I'm really confused... can someone please recommand me a good set of servo that fits this plan?
Anything else I will need?
Are there any builds documented on this plane?

Thanks!
ofridagan is offline Find More Posts by ofridagan
Old May 25, 2012, 12:34 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofridagan View Post
Is the motor that comes with the combo an ideal fit for this plane?
Yes, the combo motors are a good fit and an excellent buy.

Quote:
ESC - HK SS Series 40-50A Is this ok?
Anything 40A or just over is adequate. I have no experience with that particular ESC, but it looks "budget" even by HK standards. Personally, I'd be getting the 40A K-Force or Plush, or the 45A Trust. If they're out of stock it won't be for long.

Quote:
Battery - Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C (188 grams) can I go any bigger?
The plane could easily carry more - up to say 250g or so - but you'd feel the difference and there's no need. Better to get lotsa batteries and fly sharp 3D for 6 minutes at a time, than to carry heavy batteries and wallow for 7 or 8 minutes.

Quote:
Prop - I couldn't find many 13x6.5 at HK, just this one that is out-of-stock: APC Style Propeller 13x6.5 and also a carbon one (expensive...) will a 13x6 be ok Master Airscrew propeller 13x6
This is an EPP foamy and I wouldn't bother with carbon, cos the prop is quite likely to be eating dirt and grass on its very first outing

I don't think HK has a good offering in the 13x6.5 range right now. Their APC knockoff props are rather poor quality - horribly unbalanced and in need of lots of sanding just to remove the flashing. I think BVRC used to sell Gemfan props, and those were _excellent_ IMHO, better than real APC, but I can't seem to source the right size anywhere at present.

Quote:
Servos - with those I'm really confused... can someone please recommand me a good set of servo that fits this plan?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8303

If you want "upmarket", Hitec HS-65MG.

Quote:
Anything else I will need?
Longer servo arms. The ones that come with MG14s are only meant for comedy. BVRC sells these units, and I think they're great:

http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=231
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 25, 2012, 01:00 AM
Israel, Netanya
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Thank you!
ESC - OK I'll get a better one - TURNIGY TRUST 45A
Battry - I'll stay with Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C
Servo - 4xHextronik MG-14 14g + BVRC's servo arms
Prop - Still searching...

Thanks again!
ofridagan is offline Find More Posts by ofridagan
Old May 25, 2012, 01:59 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Thank you!
Battry - I'll stay with Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C
No problem. I'm sure you'll enjoy this plane

Another thing about batteries. HK also sells (or used to) 30C, 35C, and 40C versions of the ubiquitous 3S 2200mAh "blue". I bought a dozen of the 40C variety and at first they did seem genuinely better than the 25C, for a slight weight penalty (205g versus 192g, including velcro, if memory serves). However, the internal resistance of the 40C batteries rose much more quickly, despite the same storage and handling regimen, so that twenty or thirty flights later there is essentially no detectable difference between them - except for the weight

The best one is a "40C" whose real (according to IR measurement) numbers are 26C and 57A maximum. The worst of the whole lot is also from the "40C" batch, and that one is only 17C and 38A in reality. All of the "25C" labels are somewhere in between. They seem to consistently measure around 23C for real, and 47A-51A max current.

Hence, I'm not sure that I'd recommend the more expensive and heavier varieties, or bother buying more in the future. Then again, maybe I was just unfortunate and they came from a bad batch. Consistency doesn't seem to be a strong point where HK's batteries are concerned. I've since gone over to the Gens Ace 25C, and they're significantly and measurably better.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4