Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 07, 2011, 05:57 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,853 Posts
I'm sort of thinking of a 103gm Omega from3DHS and a 50amp esc should give plenty of power and be nice and light, hopefully it will balance with this setup. I'm leaning towards Emax ES08md servo's, I have had excellent luck with them and they are reasonably priced.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2011, 07:22 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,629 Posts
I just finished mine and it came out to 36.9 oz's. Thats with a 143 gram Motrolfly 2815. Now if I dropped down to the 103 gram Omega, actually its 118 grams with the hardware on it, like I had initially planned- I did'nt because estimated weights were close to 40 oz's, that would drop me down to 35.9 oz's approx. Doable with the Omega but for now I'll try it with the Motrolfly on there. I would be curious to see if the lighter Omega can balance this also. SFG's seem just a little flimsy, I might try my own if needed at a later time. Hopefully maiden tomorrow morning.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old May 07, 2011, 07:33 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,629 Posts
Just watched that video again Groovejet, great flying.
Old May 07, 2011, 08:54 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,854 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments guys . Nac and I had a lot of fun flying and filming yesterday.

I reckon that this Skywing MXS foamy feels closer to a balsa plane than many other foamies and this is a key part of why I like it. It has excellent control authority and tumbles very well, carrying a lot of momentum. When I get around to making the next video you'll see hard tumbles and blenders that I feel compare favourably with some 3D balsa planes. Nac and I feel that this is a great plane to keep in the car for some anywhere, anytime 3D practice. It flies so well that there'll be days when the balsas stay at home and foam tears up the sky .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old May 07, 2011, 09:59 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,853 Posts
Cool. Have you flown in any wind yet and how does it handle?
Old May 07, 2011, 11:00 PM
memphis
Joined Jan 2003
434 Posts
will a Torque 2818t/900 be too much for this plane?
TERMAGATOR is offline Find More Posts by TERMAGATOR
Old May 07, 2011, 11:55 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,029 Posts
Those videos are too cool! Thank you, groovejet and nac! They are inspiring. I've got to fly one myself.

@TERMAGATOR
Torque 2818t/900 Specifications
Windings: 18Turns
RPM/V (KV): 900
Idle Current (RI): 0.045
IO (@8.4V):A 1.08
Weight: 3.66 oz 104 G
Suggested Pack:3 Cell
Constant Amps 25
Peak Amps (15 Sec): 35
Suggested Prop: APC 11*4.7
Peak Watts: 388

The specs look alright to me for the MXS.

I did a quick test run for the 3715 that Skywing recommends. It appears that the plane can hover around 18A (about half throttle) with the motor. The amp draw peaks at about 23A at 85% to 100% throttle. (KV too low?)

The test is run with a 2200mAh 3S lipo pack, an APC 13x6.5e prop, and a Hobbywing Pentium-40A, which is said to be the same as Turnigy Plush-40A.

I am happy with the result. This motor is 110 grams without accesories and should do the job. The good thing is that it can be safely powered with cheap Hobbyking 20C 2200mAh packs.

@jetinteriorguy

I am putting the EMAX servos on my MXS and have found the rudder and the elevator servos jitter when they rotate to certain positions. I don't know if this is just my bad luck, but hope yours are fine.

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Last edited by feda; May 08, 2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Adding Information
Old May 08, 2011, 06:02 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
Those videos are too cool! Thank you, groovejet and nac! They are inspiring. I've got to fly one myself.

@TERMAGATOR
Torque 2818t/900 Specifications
Windings: 18Turns
RPM/V (KV): 900
Idle Current (RI): 0.045
IO (@8.4V):A 1.08
Weight: 3.66 oz 104 G
Suggested Pack:3 Cell
Constant Amps 25
Peak Amps (15 Sec): 35
Suggested Prop: APC 11*4.7
Peak Watts: 388

The specs look alright to me for the MXS.

I did a quick test run for the 3715 that Skywing recommends. It appears that the plane can hover around 18A (about half throttle) with the motor. The amp draw peaks at about 23A at 85% to 100% throttle. (KV too low?)

The test is run with a 2200mAh 3S lipo pack, an APC 13x6.5e prop, and a Hobbywing Pentium-40A, which is said to be the same as Turnigy Plush-40A.

I am happy with the result. This motor is 110 grams without accesories and should do the job. The good thing is that it can be safely powered with cheap Hobbyking 20C 2200mAh packs.

@jetinteriorguy

I am putting the EMAX servos on my MXS and have found the rudder and the elevator servos jitter when they rotate to certain positions. I don't know if this is just my bad luck, but hope yours are fine.

feda
Are you using the metal gear digital's? You can use the digitals in the tail and the analog's in the ailerons and they should work good. I use all digitals in all of my 4 foot Balsa's, but you have to make sure you are using a switching bec, preferable one that supplies at least 4 amps and 5 or 6 volts is best. I use ZTW 60amp esc's with a built in bec that supplies 4 amps @ 5.5 volts, works great.
Old May 08, 2011, 09:36 AM
memphis
Joined Jan 2003
434 Posts
thanks for the info feda, I have this torque motor sitting around waiting to be mounted and flown. I will give it a try and post how it performs
TERMAGATOR is offline Find More Posts by TERMAGATOR
Old May 08, 2011, 04:04 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,854 Posts
jet, I haven't flown it in enough wind to get a reliable indication.

feda, flying this plane is lots of fun as you'll soon discover .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old May 08, 2011, 05:39 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,629 Posts
Maidened mine today. Wind was real choppy, first one direction, then another. This thing flies light. I figured it would feel kind of heavy with the heavier motor but but she just floats. KE spins are easy, hovering was easy also, at least in the conditions I was flying. Will get more results on a nicer day. Landing gear did pull out on the first landing because of heavy grass. Next 2 landings were better with a little speed, brought it in too slow on the first landing. I'm sure the Torque 2818-900 or the equivalent Omega 103 gram motor would pull it around just fine. As for CG with a lighter motor I don't think it would be a problem, I had plenty of room to move the battery forward if I needed. Now to try her in better conditions. Very pleased so far.
Steve
Old May 08, 2011, 06:27 PM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2008
146 Posts
motor

stevelmaa Do you think either one of these would work.

Optima 480 3010-1020KV Brushless Motor
Optima 480 3010-910KV Brushless Motor

http://www.hobbypartz.com/480brmo.html
unlvace is offline Find More Posts by unlvace
Old May 08, 2011, 07:24 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,629 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but it says its an 82 gram motor putting out 283 watts of power. Seems very light and underpowered for a 36 oz. plus airframe. Probably have a tough time balancing it and it would be underpowered. Might I suggest this
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Motors_c_287-2-0.html
Granted its a little more expensive, but it'll more than power this and you can switch it over to a 32-44 oz plus airframe in the future and have ballistic power on 3s or 4s using a 12x6 up to 14x7 prop. Or for this application you could get the 103 Omega using a 12x6 or 13x6.5 prop also. I've got and used several Omega motors and they are great motors at a cheaper price than top brands. Hope this helps.
Steve
Old May 08, 2011, 11:11 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
... ...
feda, flying this plane is lots of fun as you'll soon discover .

Yes, I did today! I maindened my MXS and am very happy with the plane. I didn't notice any bad habits of the plane. It performed upright harrier with zero wing rocking. Its upright harriers seemed to be more stable than its inverted ones, which is unusual in my experiece with 3D planes in general.

I hooked up my medusa Power Analyzer Pro with my MXS' power system again today, this time with a new 20C 3S 2200 mAh pack. The plane could hover with about 16A and the peak amp draw was again about 23A. My MXS' AUW was about 1040 grams. This means the motor can generate about 1kg with 16A, which is pretty efficient?

@jetinteriorguy

Thanks for your suggestions on using EMAX servos. Yes, I am using the digital/metal version of their 12g servos. I'll try an SBEC ESC with the servos when I have one.

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old May 08, 2011, 11:56 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
952 Posts
Crash tests completed

I thought I would test out the crash durability today for you guys

I hit the ground reasonably hard when a knife edge roll got too low.
I walked up to the crash site expecting a total mess, but the plane looked fine except for the wing coming out off place. But a closer examination revealed that the wood box had broken in a number of places. The EPP also tends to separate from the wood.

But some medium CA and about 5min work it is all ready for another flight

I reckon a similar crash would have caused extensive damage to a Balsa.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac