HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,956 Posts
@Subaru4wd- still can't quote your posts, but at least they are visible. LOL

Here's a couple of quads with my homebrew aluminum landing gear attached. I like them a lot, and have found that in practice, they act as "crumple zones" if you happen to have a hard landing. They absorb energy slowly, deform and prevent damage to the rest of the quad. Unless, of course, you happened to land upside down. They are also easy to bend back into shape after an "incident".
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Shotshell Landing Gear?

Ive started putting together ideas for landing gear on my first upcoming H quad build. I threw around many ideas and being a gun nut was able to try putting one of them together. Im not sure if anyone has tried this before, but Im thinking that it will provide good shock absorption in the event of a hard landing/crash. I dont exactly like the look of foam for the landing gear or the turkey leg protector look of this idea actually, but if it works... It seems like they will be stiff enough that they wont really compress under normal circumstances, but will probably give if dropped from any height. Im also thinking it will be fairly easy to attach them with a screw through the primer pocket. Anyway, Ill attach a crappy cell phone picture of the idea.
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:28 AM
Joined Jul 2012
42 Posts
I found something light, cheap, and very durable for landing gear. I cut 4cm sections of a Wiffle Bat (original), which is very lightweight and built to withstand a beating. These feet have withstood several hard landings so far, and have barely flattened at all. When I did begin to notice a tiny bit of flattening on 2 of the feet, I stuffed some springy foam in them that I had lying around from some packaging. They are performing extremely well.
Michael L is offline Find More Posts by Michael L
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:44 PM
United States, WI, Chippewa Falls
Joined Dec 2012
123 Posts
Here's my super high tech landing gear ;-)

laserj is offline Find More Posts by laserj
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:34 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
961 Posts
I wanted a higher u/c for my Droidworx VM-6 for my diy gimbal. I used 8mm carbon rod + 18mm pine

Square pine bits ready for assembly:

The carbon rods are epoxied into the pine. The holes were drilled using a template to ensure each hole was on a 20-deg angle. The fancy template was just a plank of wood with a block on it - and a drillpress.

Original next to the new one:

Gimbal with PH Skyline fitted:

Ready to rock

The new u./c was approx 20g heavier but handles rough landings better than the stock u/c.

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:45 PM
France
Joined Sep 2007
97 Posts
Hello pilots!

The first landing gear for my quadcopter was made with pvc pipe and carbon rods, very efficient and easy to build but... not so pretty.

So here is a new version built with Turnigy H.A.L. landing skid mounts, carbon arrow shafts, caps from chemical anchors perforated sleeves and homemade knobs with thermoplastic material.
To make a knob I cut the upper part of a perforated sleeve, slid into a small pvc pipe glued on a small sheet perforated by a screw and a nut, then a small amount of thermoplastic material and here is a pretty ribbed knob.
The caps as feet are held with hot glue.
The 4 legs weigh 88 grams.

Denis
Bowman813 is offline Find More Posts by Bowman813
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:07 AM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
809 Posts
just to inform you: I renamed the thread to follow the defacto convention used in this forum.
New title is 'Show off your Landing gears and skids setups..'
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
The tattoo guy
USA, MN, St Paul
Joined Jun 2009
584 Posts
Landing Gear WIP

Hey People,

He are mine, work in progress.
I used Rusty's landing gear.
http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/

But, I designed and printed with ABS, the feet of the landing gear.
I put Sorbathane on the bottom of each leg, to cushion the landing.

Still building the quad, so not sure how good they are going to work.
I have to shorten the legs, too!

I'll keep everyone posted!
Greasetattoo is offline Find More Posts by Greasetattoo
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:57 PM
Father of God
Germany, SN, Plauen
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
cheap cheap & light

Rings made of silikon cartridge. + one srew.
Doesn't break.
x4 = 6g
ZeroMode is offline Find More Posts by ZeroMode
Last edited by ZeroMode; Mar 24, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:09 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,298 Posts
Just fashioned these from a piece of 4" pvc pipe for my V-tail:
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:37 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Dec 2012
1,188 Posts
That looks nice, but it could be heavy. How much does it weigh?
v00d0o is offline Find More Posts by v00d0o
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:56 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,298 Posts
34g.
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:00 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Dec 2012
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
34g.
Nice.

Good job
v00d0o is offline Find More Posts by v00d0o
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Here is what I did with some 1/2 inch pvc pipe, the thinner wall variety, got it at lowes. Bent it around a round container, full of sand with the ends capped off, while heating with a heat gun. Took a little practice, but I am happy with the results.

May still put a spreader across the bottom.....and ready for paint
kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:05 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,395 Posts
Mine utilize the same material as iacei posted a couple years ago. Large, 3/8" zip ties. Very low budget for a fairly light weight flyer.

I took about 8 inches of large 3/8" wide heavy-duty nylon tie, drill a small 1/16" hole at the ends, take some Insta-Morph and press it thru the hole for a mechanical lock and make a small hook or catch as shown below. (epoxy nor CA bind all that well to nylon) Then take two small eighth inch ties and VERY tightly bind both ends of the larger tie to the boom to provide a very stiff flared "U" shape. I found 3/8" ties are stable up to about a 4" height before they become too unstable and bend out of their stable plane and work best under 3-4" for a 1200 gram quad (~300 grams per leg).

Be sure to have the smooth side of the tie down. This does two things. The toothed surface bites into the wood a bit, and the outer (down) smooth surface picks up much less dirt and debris.

If it's a carbon or aluminum boom, you may have to use two ties on each end dealing with lower static friction. And this probably doesn't work well with round booms. But it's very light and works great with a square wood boom.

(nylon zip ties and insta-morph are amazing inventions)

On really hard impact the large tie slips out from the two small ties and absorb the impact as illustrated below. I then simply pull each hook tight against the tie again and it's ready to go. This slippage is the result of a hard landing (free fall of around 3 feet) It even keeps a record of the energy it absorbed.

Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl