HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
Nice, your method for making them is simpler. I'll have to try that if I need another batch. Let me know if you manage to break one
(I think if one does break, it will be where it is bolted to your frame)
They are extremely springy. I dont think its possible to break one, have you broken any of yours? It would have to take a very brutal crash i would think.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:40 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
They are extremely springy. I dont think its possible to break one, have you broken any of yours? It would have to take a very brutal crash i would think.
Nope. Never broke one. Mine are held on with zipties, so anything extreme breaks them off
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Nice, your method for making them is simpler. I'll have to try that if I need another batch. Let me know if you manage to break one
(I think if one does break, it will be where it is bolted to your frame)
Well. I managed to break one on the right arm after an "emergency landing"

So i replaced the gear on the left & right arms with my trusty rock-crawler tires and left the tail alone. Then today I broke the PVC leg on the tail, and now i have all 3 rock crawler tires zip tied to the copter.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:49 AM
Copter-FPV rules
Österreich
Joined Mar 2009
73 Posts
Quote:
Nope. Never broke one. Mine are held on with zipties, so anything extreme breaks them off
I tried the same landing gear and despite the fact, it's geniusly simple and excellent for landing, I noticed some oscillation during flight - especially in windy conditions.
Meanwhile, I switched to an even simplier solution from the Tricopter V2.6HV build using 3 plexiglas pieces.

This way, the Tri not only seems to hover while stationary, its landing gear is nearly invisible during flight and the whole Tri looks pretty clean now. It weights only the half (45g savings), but the best thing is, that the oscillation is almost gone and for landing, there is more stability.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better picture at the moment..
WEIDI. is offline Find More Posts by WEIDI.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Thats what I have in mind for my next set of landing gear.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:41 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEIDI. View Post
I tried the same landing gear and despite the fact, it's geniusly simple and excellent for landing, I noticed some oscillation during flight - especially in windy conditions.
Meanwhile, I switched to an even simplier solution from the Tricopter V2.6HV build using 3 plexiglas pieces.

This way, the Tri not only seems to hover while stationary, its landing gear is nearly invisible during flight and the whole Tri looks pretty clean now. It weights only the half (45g savings), but the best thing is, that the oscillation is almost gone and for landing, there is more stability.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better picture at the moment..
ah someone who has built this version. does it work well? the CF isnt cross weaved and so it could easily break in a landing since it has bolts through it. The ESC wires are extended from the battery which is bad (should extend the ESC -> motor wires).
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:07 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Here's mine

Inspired by rcbif and subaru4wd here's my take on home made landing skids.

I started out making some like rcbif but using my heat gun to soften things, which worked great, and then realized that existing zip ties would be a bit in the way for mounting.

So first I straightened out a whole strip of 4" pipe by 1/2" then bent it into these. Pondered what to use for skids, decided to try wood instead of more pipe as it's significantly lighter. The 13" long strip of PVC weighed 22 grams each. The same length of wood was 8.

I just bent everything free-hand over the edge of my workbench. If it works and I need more then a jig would make them a little more uniform.

I'm just getting this tricopter going. Did a short maiden flight last night in the dark, without the skids. Hope to steal time to test it out with more room later.

I made the skids pretty high because I'm flying at our farm and the grass is longer, so I'm hoping this will get the props high enough.

BTW, anyone know how PVC compares in strength/weight/durability to acylic (plexiglas) or polycarbonate (lexan). Realized that I have some of both that comes "pre-straightened" )

I'll report how they work out. Thanks again for the inspiration.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:14 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
That looks great, and its a great idea! PVC is pretty hard, and it only flexes so much before it breaks. Plus when you bent it, you created weak spots. You might want to try connecting something to each wooden skid so they cannot spread apart from eachother. This will keep the PVC from tweaking and snapping.

I was suprised how quickly I broke my PVC landing gear, but my Frame is alittle heavy and I did come down on it pretty hard sideways a couple times.

I went back to the trusty rock crawler tires:

I am not sure how much they weigh, but they are indestructible, and do a great job of protecting my motors too.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:45 AM
Retired Flyer
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Here is a solution for F-450 Skids

Here is what I've made up for landing skids, I've sold a few sets to people who have had interest in them.
Link Below:
DJI F450 landing gear Mod..(Short Slide Show) (0 min 36 sec)
floridabiker is offline Find More Posts by floridabiker
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
Buddy Codes for 600 Skid parts!!

Skid
Skid Pipe
Skid Nuts
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Oct 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
ah someone who has built this version. does it work well?
Not for a n00b. If you land hard with the force on the edge the zip ties will snap. Land hard with force on the face and the foot will snap. Don't want to spend all day on the band saw and drill press making new ones. I think I might try plywood next.

Also what would the strength be of this design with 1mm carbon fibre? Is aluminium and wire a no no because of radio interference?

EDIT: Lexan looks interesting too...
ElectroDie is offline Find More Posts by ElectroDie
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Okay this thread needs a bump.

I am out of idea's for landing gear. I have been using Pool Noodle, but it seems to be soft and gets torn apart rather quickly.

Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:31 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
If your multirotor has square arms, this will work well. One picture shows the gear on an arm of my wooden hex, and the other shows the simple jig I made to bend them (there are 3 on the hex). The shape is nothing special- I just eyeballed it.

The stock is 1/2" aluminum flats from HomeDepot or Lowes.

Rick
I think this is the next idea I am going to steal

Thanks Rick!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2012
129 Posts
$4 junior wiffle balls from target. They absorb shock well and are fairly light.
livinlife is offline Find More Posts by livinlife
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Apr 2012
60 Posts
What do people use on snow?

This is my first winter with my RCE2.5 tri and my zip tied pieces of plywood won't do any good. The wiffle balls look promising but may not be tall enough after I add the 2.6 camera mount.
nstraz is offline Find More Posts by nstraz